70-642 Passed

JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
I sat for the 70-642 today and passed on my first attempt :). You really need to know your details to get through this one.

I used:
- MCTS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete Study Guide
- MS Press 70-642 (1st edition)
- Labsim practice exams
- Virtualized Labs

I studied for this exam and the 70-680 over the last 2 months and found the material complimented each other a bit (5-10% overlap).

I am sitting for the 70-680 Friday.
Lab on!

Comments

• BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! and good luck on Friday as well.

I am hoping to sit this one soon.

How was the MSP book (lab-wise)? I am using the Sybex Complete R2 Guide as well and find that some of the labs seem too basic. I also have the labsims and CBT-Nuggets and Virtual labs.

Any other tips would be great.

BreadFan
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations.

The more I study this exam, the more I hate this exam. It feels like half the material is "How to turn a Windows 2008 R2 server into a router, so you'll never use it in real life."
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Breadfan wrote: »
    Congrats! and good luck on Friday as well.

I am hoping to sit this one soon.

How was the MSP book (lab-wise)? I am using the Sybex Complete R2 Guide as well and find that some of the labs seem too basic. I also have the labsims and CBT-Nuggets and Virtual labs.

Any other tips would be great.

BreadFan

The MS Press book's case studies we pretty involved and I was able to take quite a bit away from them. I would be curious to see the changes made in the 2nd edition of the 70-642 MS Press book. I think what really helped me was going deeper down the hole and breaking and unbreaking things in my practice labs. I also deal with Server 2008(R2) on a daily basis which is an invaluable resource.

My advice is to get intimate with DNS (27% of the blue print), take a good look over the blue print and lab lab lab :)

Best of luck on your studies!
    Lab on!
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Grats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif

As soon as I finish up a few quick classes I plan on doing the 70-642 as well. Just waiting on my 2nd edition of the MS press book.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Congrats on the pass! 70-642 is next up for me.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!! Good luck to those that take it in the future. I'd agree with knowing DNS well, know the difference between secondary zones, AD-integrated zones and stubs. Also know what zone delegation is. Basically, know it all.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing!
  • rudergerruderger Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Congrats!! Good luck to those that take it in the future. I'd agree with knowing DNS well, know the difference between secondary zones, AD-integrated zones and stubs. Also know what zone delegation is. Basically, know it all.
    Know it all and then know it all from a command line for Server Core!
  • foxhenryfoxhenry Banned Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good luck to your next move.