Options

Lab, or sim for CCNA Security?

yallaenyallaen Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know there are pros and cons to buying true lab equipment. I have my CCNA, and am starting to work on my CCNA security. I'm in Iraq, so space is at a premium. I have a brand new laptop and decent memory.

I'm looking at using GNS3 vs lab equipment. It's too hard IMHO to try and buy and cart routers to my CHU. I'd prefer to use the GNS3 simulations to get my SDM work and labs going.

What IOS will I need to load into GNS3? I've never used GNS3, I used packettracer for my CCNA. I know you have to load the IOS into the GNS3 software. But I need to ensure I get the right IOS with the SDM incorporated.

But can I study well enough this way? I have access to some lab switches at work, but that is like a 10 minute walk back and forth, and not that easy to mess with at work. I dont have a router, and it will be a PITA to get one.

I'm hitting the books; I have the CCNA Security book from Cisco, and I also have another CCNA Security prep book. I'm hoping to be ready to go by the end of July or 1st week of August. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    yallaen wrote: »
    I know there are pros and cons to buying true lab equipment. I have my CCNA, and am starting to work on my CCNA security. I'm in Iraq, so space is at a premium. I have a brand new laptop and decent memory.

I'm looking at using GNS3 vs lab equipment. It's too hard IMHO to try and buy and cart routers to my CHU. I'd prefer to use the GNS3 simulations to get my SDM work and labs going.

What IOS will I need to load into GNS3? I've never used GNS3, I used packettracer for my CCNA. I know you have to load the IOS into the GNS3 software. But I need to ensure I get the right IOS with the SDM incorporated.

But can I study well enough this way? I have access to some lab switches at work, but that is like a 10 minute walk back and forth, and not that easy to mess with at work. I dont have a router, and it will be a PITA to get one.

I'm hitting the books; I have the CCNA Security book from Cisco, and I also have another CCNA Security prep book. I'm hoping to be ready to go by the end of July or 1st week of August. Thoughts?

I'm going to use GNS3 for my CCNA-Security. I already used it for my CCNA, and you can run the SDM against a GNS3 router. I had to run it, simply because it was in the CCNA objectives.

This guy has a video on setting up SDM on GNS3 (he posts on this forum)
    YouTube - ‪GNS3 SDM PART 1‬‏

CHU? Does that mean compact housing unit? I'm just trying to figure out the acronym. I know what it is, as I had mine reinforced with TONS of sandbags -- all the way up to the rooftop -- when I was over there in Baquba.

I can't say when I'll be done studying. By the end of July would be good, as it would mesh in well with starting WGU in August. I am the type who keeps pushing the test back until I feel that I can pass it.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)