Transformers 3 (possible spoilers)

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
I took my kid to see Transformers 3 last night... This one is a lot less of a GM commercial, and more of a CISCO commercial! The CISCO logo was all over the place in this movie. Same with Lenovo. Anyone else see it yet? Did you recognise what kind of CISCO equipment it was?

Funny how I can suspend belief and be willing to accept giant alien robots that transform into cars and computers as being realistic... but then the IT usage being way off really bugged me. Like "It's 128 bit binary encryption, this could be hard... but not for me, I'm in!" when "hacking" into a draw bridge using about 3 key strokes while watching random green text fly by on the screen.

Although the biggest thing that bugged me was the HUGE geography mistake. They were in DC, and said they detected the bad guys on the Beltway, then when they jumped to the "Beltway", it was actually a section of either I-290 or I-294 outside of Chicago. You could clearly see exits for US-20 and an exit for I-88 to Aurora. Then after a couple scene changes they're off the highway and you see DC landmarks.

Forgot to mention, a total geek-out moment that I was surprised by, only because I didn't read anything about the movie before going to see it... Leonard Nemoy provided the voice for one of the transformers in this movie. I won't tell you which one. ;)

Comments

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    I took my kid to see Transformers 3 last night... This one is a lot less of a GM commercial, and more of a CISCO commercial! The CISCO logo was all over the place in this movie. Same with Lenovo. Anyone else see it yet? Did you recognise what kind of CISCO equipment it was?
    Kinda like in that last Terminator film where Christian Slater uses some device with Sony's logo on it to break into the machine's factory.
    Everyone wrote: »
    Although the biggest thing that bugged me was the HUGE geography mistake. They were in DC, and said they detected the bad guys on the Beltway, then when they jumped to the "Beltway", it was actually a section of either I-290 or I-294 outside of Chicago. You could clearly see exits for US-20 and an exit for I-88 to Aurora. Then after a couple scene changes they're off the highway and you see DC landmarks.
    Well, you know that George Lucas didn't actually fly to another galaxy to shoot Star Wars, right? Same principle.

Similar story; at certain scenes of Lord of the Rings, my mate's Kiwi dad would say, "I've been there".
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Kinda like in that last Terminator film where Christian Slater uses some device with Sony's logo on it to break into the machine's factory.

Well, you know that George Lucas didn't actually fly to another galaxy to shoot Star Wars, right? Same principle.

Similar story; at certain scenes of Lord of the Rings, my mate's Kiwi dad would say, "I've been there".

Christian Bale did the same thing in Terminator 3! ;)

I feel the same way about "mistakes" in movies. Especially FICTIONAL movies. People always dig at the little things (location, etc.), when in "real life", it could never possibly happen in the first place (ok, it could happen, just extremely improbable).

Yea, I'm guilty of it too, though. Especially movies where they use computers. 90% of the movies, they get it all wrong. Great for theatrics, though. For those that don't know, it looks awesome. I'm sure there are those out there that are mechanics and are like "Nah, he'd have to change the belt and he'd have a bent rod" or something when watching Fast and the Furious. Me, I'm watching it and being entertained. :)

Office Space: going from a Mac desktop to a DOS prompt. :)
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There were like 5 to 6 takes where cisco telepresence's "presence" was in the film :)

Looks like Lenovo paid big bucks to get in the film as well.

I also saw that Michael Bay reused footage from the movie the island that he directed and replaced a lot of object from the old movie footage with transformers robots, they have a scene by scene analysis of both movies and its pretty crazy they did that, check it out.

Michael Bay Just Re-using Footage from The Island for Transformers 3
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Looked as lame as Cars 2. Avoiding both proudly here.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Fantastic movie! A little on the long side but still a great demonstration of how far along CG has progressed in the last 10 years. I just love these big action popcorn flicks sometimes. I always get a kick out of how many pompous, close-minded, better than thou people like to act like their too intelligent to watch an action movie. I like the latest restored Criterion release as well, but a little variety is a good thing. It's like someone saying they only listen to one type of music. I feel sorry for them.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I prefer movies to have more than just eye candy in technical form or the female form of Megan Fox. And with every Transformer movies...people I know who liked them, its all they mention. At roughly $10 per person, and 2hrs of my time.....it better be worth it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    My comment wasn't a knock on anyone here just to clarify. I was just reading some of the comments on the link chrisone posted and it just bothers me a little how many critics and people knock Michael Bay and popcorn movies in general. It should be noted that sometimes people don't wanna think after a hard days work. These movies are great to just sit down and enjoy the Rollercoaster ride. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I thought the movie was dope. Optimus went HAM at the end.

I mean the marketing stuff was pretty obvious. Even my wife and little sister say it (the both know about cisco because of my CCNA). It was a decent movie though. I mean there were some obvious product placements but who cares?
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I cant wait for the Blu-Ray! i still need to pick up LOTR extended cuts and Sucker Punch. Battle of LA and Tron were better in blu-ray!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anybody seen the YouTube video showing car chase footage Bay reused from The Island? At least he reused footage from his own film.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I liked the movie a lot, I really noticed Cisco in it... i thought it was cool.. I think it's funny how in any movie, the hacker just bangs the keys like a madman and suddenly there are in
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I loved the wing suit stuff in the movie, that was all shot practical. Bay saw the videos of the guys jumping off mountains & stuff, and they had never tried doing any of that stuff in an urban environment. Really neat.

Also, the guy in front of me in the theater apparently wasn't a trekkie because me & my friend started laughing when Nimoy's character says "the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few" and he just glared at us. I figured everyone would've seen Wrath of Khan like 50 times by now. icon_sad.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]