CCNP Security Secure materials?

kaleel86kaleel86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
So i want to do the above exam however i cannot find anything in terms of material. Material is hard to find. the only thing i see is the rough cuts study guide which is online and seems quite expensive for a book that isn't finished!

I have SNRS material, but i missed that exam deadline. I've done my CCNA security already and still have material for that. I'm worried this won't cover everything though.

What can i use to get me the knowledge i need?

Comments

• burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    CCSP Courses

I'm currently going through their BGP lessons and I'm a fan. Also, they just released a monthly payment option for their full access. It's $159/month and I think it gives you access to everything. I'm definitely going to get that once I finish off this CCIP.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, the exam doesn't retire until tomorrow... but that is probably still too late. Unfortunately, the study materials for the new exams don't appear that they will be available before June/July.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WOOT WOOT! i just ordered the new CCNP Security Secure book from Amazon. It comes out on the 7th but from what i hear they ship them a little early these days. I cant wait to start my CCNP Security journey, I should be taking my CCNA security exam by the end of July.
    Amazon.com: CCNP Security Secure 642-637 Official Cert Guide (9781587142802): Sean Wilkins, Trey Smith: Books

The new CCNP Security VPN book comes out later this month on July 21 as well, i will be ordering that one as well.
    Amazon.com: CCNP Security VPN 642-647 Official Cert Guide (9781587142567): Howard Hooper: Books

Cisco press offers a "Platinum Edition" but after further reading what it was, the platinum edition is basically , practice tests bundled with the ebook version. So no you do not get a printed version, so i passed up on it.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you know when the authorized self study guides are coming out?
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I'm guessing it'll be a while before the Self Study guides are released. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Q1 2012.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    I hope they do release a self study guide, however i think i should be good with the certification study guides. I dont want to drag this security certs any longer, i am getting burned out from all these professional level cert studying.

One thing i noticed was that there were NO mention of self study guides yet. Like how we have the official cert study guides with release dates, i havent seen anything for self study guides. Cisco press doesnt have anything on self study guides related to the CCNP Security either icon_sad.gif History has it once they release the Cert guides , several months later they release the self study guides. However i cant wait 6 to 8 months for those, id rather iron it out with the cert guides and pass 3 out the 4 tests within those 8 months. I am projecting an 8 to 12 month time span for me to accomplish the CCNP Security.

Have you guys seen any updates on any of the self study guides?

I also want to mention I did get an email from INE about summer releases for new video course material and they did have CCNP Security on there as a new release coming soon. That should be interesting , i would definitely drop the 500 to 600 to buy that video series!

Ahhhh gotta finish this CCNA Security lol icon_study.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    I have never read a cert guide but I have always been under the impression that the cert guides would not be enough. I am looking at "secure" material, besides the cert guides I will probably spend some time here:

Security Intelligence Operations - Cisco Systems

The job is pushing me down the security path so that's where I'm headed.
    Well the cert guides are not that bad. I used the cert guides for my CCNA and CCNP days. I actually studied the older BSCI exam using the self study guide, then bought the CCNP library and i noticed very little to unnoticeable differences between the two to the point where i didnt even pick up the BSCI Cert guide for any additional studying.

I just dont see any self study guides anytime this year or next year. I cant wait , i know the cert guides should be very well written, i have read books from some of those authors.

FIREWALL (Authors are good)
    David Hucaby, Dave Garneau, Anthony Sequeira. (David
    David Hucaby
    Anthony S. did the CCDP INE class, that guy is classic! i enjoy learning from him.

SECURE (Authors are good)
    Sean Wilkins, Trey Smith.
    Sean Wilkins

IPS (Dont know the authors)
    David Burns, Odunayo Adesina, Keith Barker.

VPN (Dont know the authors)
    By Howard Hooper.
    Howard Hooper

The rest of my exams, CCDA/CCDP , and now CCNA Security have been self study guides. Thanks for the link , i will be using it for my studies. icon_thumright.gif
    So I'm just curious, what are you using in your lab? I have a few 2600xm series routes and I plan to pick up 1-2 3550s in a couple of weeks. I plan to get at least one ASA 5505 in the next few months. I will get to work with the IPS modules on a ASA in the coming weeks (which I hope is enough for the IPS exam).
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    chrisone wrote: »
    Anthony S. did the CCDP INE class, that guy is classic! i enjoy learning from him.

He was also the ONLY one from the INE squad to personally answer emails from me about products below the CCIE level.

I think the best "self-study" book right now may be the following:
    Amazon.com: Cisco ASA: All-in-One Firewall, IPS, Anti-X, and VPN Adaptive Security Appliance (2nd Edition) (9781587058196): Jazib Frahim, Omar Santos: Books

I'm curious to see the quality of the CBT Nuggets and INE CCNP:Security videos coming out. One thing I have learned is that the INE series, for the most part, goes deeper into the subject matter. Shame Jeremy isn't doing the CBT video series, its worth purchasing it just to hear his enthusiasm!

On a side note I'm right with you ChrisOne... I'll be CCDP/CCIP/CCNP shortly and I keep on debating a break on studies to give my brain a rest! I told my wife I'd wait till the CCIE R&S is done before going for CCNP:Security.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    Thanks for the tip on the book. I'll pick up it next week.
    So I'm just curious, what are you using in your lab? I have a few 2600xm series routes and I plan to pick up 1-2 3550s in a couple of weeks. I plan to get at least one ASA 5505 in the next few months. I will get to work with the IPS modules on a ASA in the coming weeks (which I hope is enough for the IPS exam).

At the moment right now , i am using GNS3 and 2950s for the CCNA Security. I am just doing the reading right now, mid July when i get back from Boston i will start the labs. The only thing i need to get my hands on is TACACS+ server to work with. I might have to just get the 90 day trail and run it on my laptop with a VMWARE and tie it with GNS3. I also have a lab at work with 3600s, 2950s, ASA5520's. Here at home i have everything aside from the ASA's.

I am not about to spend money on a server. I think i have enough resources for this particular test. The CCNP Security i will build a better lab and buy a couple asa 5505's for home use. The CCNP INE courses should be great! icon_cheers.gif
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    The only thing i need to get my hands on is TACACS+ server to work with.

If you can't get your hands on the real thing then "sudo apt-get install tac-plus" for Ubuntu, "sudo apt-get install tacacs+" for Debian, and right here for Windows binaries. These are all based off of the TACACS+ code that Cisco released as open source.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    If you can't get your hands on the real thing then "sudo apt-get install tac-plus" for Ubuntu, "sudo apt-get install tacacs+" for Debian, and right here for Windows binaries. These are all based off of the TACACS+ code that Cisco released as open source.

Awesome find. +Rep.
    Thanks for the TIP!icon_cheers.gif