Options

Is the cover letter a must or should?

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
Topic because i dont know if add a cover letter for my next company target ?
suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I love cover letters and here's why:

1. A customized one shows attention to detail. For example, you can show you researched the company and understand the position requirements
    2. Additional chance to convey you are the best fit for the position. Example: how those certs + your experience are a perfect fit for the position.
    3. You can expand on specific items from your resume that are not evident or require emphasis
    4. In my eyes, the absence of a cover letter says "I don't have time/interest to put one together"
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Having been on the hiring end, I must say email applications without a cover letter (content explaining the purpose of the email, that is) look strange and not very appealing.

To: Dream Job
    Subject: Resume
    Attachments: resume.doc

“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    Ohh i see Thank you
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I never add a cover letter document if I'm emailing a resume, I just address what I would put in the letter into the body of the email. If I'm submitting a resume online or via the postal service, I'll do a "cover letter" usually.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I never use them.
  • Options
    EuclidJonesEuclidJones Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Every position I've ever been hired for has been acquired without a cover letter. Most of the time when I apply I do take the time and effort to write one but it has been a wasted effort.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I write a 3-4 paragraphs on the body of the email. It doesn't take very long because most of the stuff is just repeat of what I've wrote before adapted to that certain company.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In a recent phone interview I attended, the person asked me if I was willing to relocate as the job I applied for is in a different state. I responded with 'Yes, I explained my willingness and time frame for relocating in my cover letter.'
    Their response... 'Oh... we don't read cover letters.'
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I always do. I don't lose anything but a few minutes to write one. If they just toss the cover letter, that's fine. If the person prefers cover letters, I'm covered.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Deesiel wrote: »
    In a recent phone interview I attended, the person asked me if I was willing to relocate as the job I applied for is in a different state. I responded with 'Yes, I explained my willingness and time frame for relocating in my cover letter.'
    Their response... 'Oh... we don't read cover letters.'

Extremely unprofessional. Even if they don't read them they shouldn't be openly admitting it.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll just say that I glance over them when looking through resumes for a few seconds.

When I have picked out my candidates that go through my first round, I pay attention to their resume/cover letter a lot more.

The more information in your resume/cover letter, the more I can determine what kind of person you are.

It can be a good thing and a bad thing. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Extremely unprofessional. Even if they don't read them they shouldn't be openly admitting it.

Why is that unprofessional? Would you rather them sugarcoat it?

To the OP, I agree with blargoe if its an email just go ahead and put something in the body of the email and don't worry about attaching something extra. If its snail mail then go a short cover letter should be fine.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually submit a cover letter, unless they specifically say dont, or the site doesnt have an option to add a cover letter.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    I usually submit a cover letter, unless they specifically say dont, or the site doesnt have an option to add a cover letter.

^^ This.

A well written cover letter can get you a call before they even read (or finish reading) your resume.

If the job listing says not to send one, then don't. If the application website doesn't give you an option to include one, don't worry about it. Otherwise, take the time to write one for each position you apply to.