Options

Pay Raise

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been in the IT industry for nearly 10 years now. I have my degree, picked up a few certification, working on a few in my spare time. I bust my ass off for the company I'm with. I'm new to a manager's roll and have taken the bull by the horns and have ran with it. I have definitely excelled in my position and have overcome some fears of being a manager.

Now it's time for my yearly review and I'm not sure how to ask for a pay raise. I definitely deserve one... just not sure how to ask or what to say.

Suggestions?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ive always gone with "Show me the MONEEYYYYY!!!"

I should also mention im 0 for 3 with that line so hopefully someone has a better one ;p
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    First I would write down all your achievements you did with the company and list how those achievements helped production increase. Show them the progress you made in your career and by doing so it is helping the company grow (either in profits, or employee relations).

If this does not work then after the review is over and you get your grade and its submitted. I would then apply for a job that will send you a high offer letter, take that offer letter to your boss and try to get a raise that way by stating things like "I'm worth more than what your giving me and other company's recognize this". This is a scare tactic and is typically used if nothing else works.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    higherho wrote: »
    First I would write down all your achievements you did with the company and list how those achievements helped production increase. Show them the progress you made in your career and by doing so it is helping the company grow (either in profits, or employee relations).

If this does not work then after the review is over and you get your grade and its submitted. I would then apply for a job that will send you a high offer letter, take that offer letter to your boss and try to get a raise that way by stating things like "I'm worth more than what your giving me and other company's recognize this". This is a scare tactic and is typically used if nothing else works.

Just make sure the offer letter is a legitimate one, cause you may find yourself needing to take the other job.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818

This part is good advice. Demonstrate and quantify your value to the company.
    higherho wrote:

Do not follow this part. Attempting to bully your company will not get you in good graces. They could very well let you go right on the spot. Even if they don't let you go you'll be seen as a liability and will very likely be marked for replacement. It generates bad blood. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□

Or you could just take the other job that recognizes your worth.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Plus when you talk to your company make sure you sound focused and serious. If their is any doubt in your words or nervousness they will not take you seriously.
    undomiel wrote: »

Do not follow this part. Attempting to bully your company will not get you in good graces. They could very well let you go right on the spot. Even if they don't let you go you'll be seen as a liability and will very likely be marked for replacement. It generates bad blood. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Hence why I said this is a last ditch effort before leaving the company if they dot not comply with your other demands that are ligament, well thought out, and kind.

plus it all depends on your presentation of this tatic. For example you can go to your boss and have a serious discussion and state that I been givin other offers of employment that are offering much more money. I would love to stay with this company but I cannot sustain my life with these current funds.

You see that's not a bad way to approach it and it does not make you look like you are evil or trying to stick it to the man. It shows them you love the company enough to come back and ask for a raise even though you already have an offer / start date and it shows that you care enough to give them a professional stance on the subject and not just

"I need more money, can you give it to me. If not I'm going to leave for this company because of this offer letter"

Presentation, character, and integrity matter a lot in the corporate world. Of course if your company cares nothing but the bottom line then thats not a good company to work with.
  • Options
    JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□

This is the best advice. You have to prove your worth what you think your worth. Not a guarantee but it will certainly help your chances
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Did you already get one when you took on this "manager role"?

If not, perhaps the company already acknowledges your ascension to manager and will be the ones to bring it up first? Obviously, it doesn't hurt to have something planned out in case they don't.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I agree with what others have said. Write down everything you have done for the company, how it has affected their bottom line, how you have stream lined processes, saved tons of $$$, etc. This will show that you have their best interests in mind, and are worth a higher salary (hopefully).

If they decline, start looking for another job. Don't bother with trying to present them with an offer letter to get a raise, and even if they offer to pay you more when you put in your resignation, I would be very cautious of excepting. They now know you have every intention to leave when you find another job that will pay you more money, and will be looking for your replacement sooner than later. Or they will find any reason to fire you.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Did you already get one when you took on this "manager role"?

If not, perhaps the company already acknowledges your ascension to manager and will be the ones to bring it up first? Obviously, it doesn't hurt to have something planned out in case they don't.
    I was actually hired as a computer technician, a couple of weeks later they told me that my title needs to be changed from computer tech to IT manager, when they moved me to the different title they didn't give me a pay increase and I was too new in the company to ask for one.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I was actually hired as a computer technician, a couple of weeks later they told me that my title needs to be changed from computer tech to IT manager, when they moved me to the different title they didn't give me a pay increase and I was too new in the company to ask for one.

Computer Tcch = IT Manager......wow...thats a huge title change.....who messed that upicon_confused.gif:

Well, it never hurts to have a plan in action to ask for one. Just have thorough evidence as to why you should have one. I always say...what's the worse they could say, NO...but thats just me
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod

Am I right assuming they didn't hire you with management duties as part of your job description?
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    undomiel wrote: »

I agree. I've seen some highly talented people given the boot, despite the great (and in one case, almost indespensible) value they brought to the table. The dude that was indespensible also had an ego to match, and don't get me wrong, he did bring in massive new business AND cut costs, (water cooler talk was he tripled department's profits, at least - in a single year), fixed virtually any problem he attacked. He thought he could bully the management for more money and perks, precisely by throwing in an offer letter in their face. He undoubtedly deserved a big pay raise, but rubbed the management wrong, and the C level fired him on the spot. To make matters worse, he knew the hiring manager very well of the other company and gave him a heads up, they retracted their offer. Pretty much happened anytime a new company called his prior employer.

Last I heard, took a while but he finally got back on his feet, learned some humility.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

Who else do you manage? You still haven't explained in detail why you think you need one. Achievements you made before this position isn't good enough. Because you bust your ass is laughable because everyone believes that about themselves.

Being "busy" does not necessarily justify a raise.

(And I'm not trying to bust your balls.)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Sounds like you are with a smaller company (I know I come from that background).

They may have seen your ability and said "Oh wow, what a great resource we can move him to management or more responsibility, but he wont have the experience to demand more $$ so win win for us"

This mentality is common with smaller companies so be prepared to fight that mindset. I would say --- I would like my year review to reflect my drastic change in responsibility from what I was hired on to complete. There is nothing wrong in expecting to be compensated after you have 1. taken on a new role 2. new/more responsibility 3. performed in that role

Good luck!
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA