Career change

ENTRYTECHENTRYTECH Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im looking to do a career change. I am currently working as an accounting assistant which is very boring and I wanna jump in to the IT field. I have an AAS in Electronics and Engineering Technology and a certificate in Computer Technology which I received in 2003 (I know that was 8 years ago). I am currently working on my A+, but I am worried about making a career change from accounting to IT at the age of 33. Please advise me on the direction to go once I receive the A+ cert.

Comments

• EuclidJonesEuclidJones Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're never too old to make a career change! You're still young, even.

That said, you ought to nail down what areas of IT you want to be working in. Networking? Support? Programming? It'll be easier for everyone here to give you advice after we know that.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed. You are never too old. With an accounting background you can actually do pretty well in IT putting the two together. I've heard CISA certified individuals often have accounting backgrounds.
  • ENTRYTECHENTRYTECH Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, Im looking more into systems/network administration
    Depending on how much you know about networking feel free to skip some of the early of the following out.

I'd get the Network+ after you get your A+ cert. Then maybe Server+. Then CCNA or MCSA. That'll get you a good baseline and you can further specialize from there.

Having the certs is one thing but practical experience will be worth more. Find out what NOC jobs in your area want in regards to certs and try to get them. If you can, try to get some kind of technical experience where you're currently working. If not, what really helped me out was doing volunteer IT work.

( VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins )
    Thanks, but I thought the MCSA and the MCSE were discontinued. Maybe im wrong.
    Derp. MCITP. I'll start telling people I upgraded to a K6 next. What's this newfangled "C#" I keep hearing about? Token ring is the way of the future!

I need coffee.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ENTRYTECH wrote: »
    Thanks, but I thought the MCSA and the MCSE were discontinued. Maybe im wrong.
    They are currently active. Some of the exams in the track have been, but all core exams are active.
    Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate. After I get the A+, I plan on getting the Network+ then maybe the MCSA, MCP or MCTS
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate. After I get the A+, I plan on getting the Network+ then maybe the MCSA, MCP or MCTS

I started out as a Jr. Accountant. It is fairly boring work, JEs, K1s, etc. Bleh. I worked for an investment company at one of their properties so whenever telcos would come by I would hang out with them and ask a ton of questions.

From there, I got part time work building white boxes and some light Admin duties. I was working 13 hour days, but loved the SA work. I eventually landed a gig as a Jr. SA. Been doing SA work ever since.

I might start looking for work in the IT field now. Your AAS and certification should at least get you in the door. While your looking for work, pursue the A+, N+, etc.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    Onesaint, thanks for the advice. Your background and work history gives me motivation. Appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don’t mind me asking, do you have any certs? If so, which ones?
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Onesaint, thanks for the advice. Your background and work history gives me motivation. Appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don’t mind me asking, do you have any certs? If so, which ones?

Happy to help.

I have no certs yet. I'm currently working on the CCNA. I plan to sit for it in late August / early September. Security+ will come after that. Then depending on what area of infosec I want to head towards, I'll seak out a few more certs and finish my BS degree.

In regards to switching careers, the mean income for a non certified accountant isnt great (at least here in Ca.), so hopefully the hit to your income won't be too bad switching over to IT. Especially since you have the degree / cert under your belt, which will get you in the door. Additionally, the accounting will come in handy as you know how a balance sheet works and what budgeting is all about. Try to use that to your advantage.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another thing to bear in mind probably is money. If you worked in accounts for a while you probably worked your way up to a proper salary. When you change careers you most likely start at the bottom again, which means low(er) salary ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • marishajohn2011marishajohn2011 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    That is very good that you have decided to move your career but one thing remember you are going to start from ZERO, you will have to face many problems , dear accounting is also very good career growth , you can get good opportunity after having much exp, so i would suggest that keep concentrate on your current profile and work......
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Im looking to do a career change. I am currently working as an accounting assistant which is very boring and I wanna jump in to the IT field. I have an AAS in Electronics and Engineering Technology and a certificate in Computer Technology which I received in 2003 (I know that was 8 years ago). I am currently working on my A+, but I am worried about making a career change from accounting to IT at the age of 33. Please advise me on the direction to go once I receive the A+ cert.

I would't bother. Instead I would leverage that accounting background and do some of the Cisco pre sales qualifications and then look for a job with a Cisco partner selling solutions and services. You will learn a lot of technical skills in a job like that and be able to move into any job you want. If you are good at it you will get noticed and make increasing bonuses. Unless you really want to do operations or need to do operations (you dont) I advise people to seek other options. With accounting and a couple of years of presales behind you you could move into management with a service provider. 5 years on get an MBA and then start punting for VP positions.