Is this Project+ certification worth going for?

hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
I took a project management class in school which appears to have covered 99% of the exam objectives.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to take this certification exam (provided I review the material, I still have the book)?

Or do you think I should hold off and wait to get one of the PMI ones?

Comments

• GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is no experience requirement for Project+ and it is a lifetime cert, so I'd say it's worth it.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    when I started studying for the Project+ my boss asked me all the normal questions "what is it?" "how does it pertain to your job?" blah blah blah. After a 10 minute explanation he shook out of the glazed eyed torpor he had drifted into, around minute 2, and simply replied "Oh, it's a mini-PMP. OK you can expense it."

Strangely enough this is pretty accurate. Can you find a critical path? Do you know the difference between an Gnatt chart and a Perto chart? Why would you use one or the other? Man hours, burn hours, earn hours, reports, etc. I think the Project+ is a great intro to management and shows that you have the ability to blow through mountains of information to find out what most of us already know intrinsically: the project will be late, over budget and under utilized. Welcome to management.

I used the Sybex study guide and found it to be more or less complete for the exam. It also has a number of useful forms and documentation templates. If you can find an older edition of the book you should be fine. I used the PK0-001 book to take the -002 test and felt fairly well prepared.

If you are considering following up with a PMI cert this would be a very good intro to the pembok body of knowledge. I say go for it.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    grauwulf wrote: »
    I think the Project+ is a great intro to management and shows that you have the ability to blow through mountains of information to find out what most of us already know intrinsically: the project will be late, over budget and under utilized. Welcome to management.

I lol'd icon_lol.gif
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lsud00d wrote: »
    I lol'd icon_lol.gif

I as well.

Nice post +1 rep
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    lsud00d wrote: »
    I lol'd icon_lol.gif

hahahaha