Options

certblaster questions

winner9909winner9909 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have 2 questions on the certblaster software that seem to contradict themselves... i am sure i am not understanding something and they are both correct... anyhow

The first One talks about a Router inspecting packets at the network layer being STATEFUL inspection.

The second one one is true or fale

A network layer firewall uses stateful inspection

and it says the answer is FALSE. From the first question i assume this to be true?

What am i missing?

Comments

• Options
    MT0911MT0911 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    winner9909 wrote: »
    I have 2 questions on the certblaster software that seem to contradict themselves... i am sure i am not understanding something and they are both correct... anyhow

The first One talks about a Router inspecting packets at the network layer being STATEFUL inspection.

The second one one is true or fale

A network layer firewall uses stateful inspection

and it says the answer is FALSE. From the first question i assume this to be true?

What am i missing?

Hopefully this helps (I did not write this, it is just useful information from online resources):

A firewall can be described as being either Stateful, or Stateless.

STATELESS

Stateless firewalls watch network traffic, and restrict or block packets based on source and destination addresses or other static values. They are not 'aware' of traffic patterns or data flows. A stateless firewall uses simple rule-sets that do not account for the possibility that a packet might be received by the firewall 'pretending' to be something you asked for.

STATEFUL

Stateful firewalls can watch traffic streams from end to end. They are are aware of communication paths and can implement various IP Security (IPsec) functions such as tunnels and encryption. In technical terms, this means that stateful firewalls can tell what stage a TCP connection is in (open, open sent, synchronized, synchronization acknowledge or established), it can tell if the MTU has changed, whether packets have fragmented etc.

Neither is really superior and there are good arguments for both types of firewalls. Stateless firewalls are typically faster and perform better under heavier traffic loads. Stateful firewalls are better at identifying unauthorized and forged communications.
    CompTIA: A+, Network+, Security+
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNA: Wireless
    In Progress: CCNP
  • Options
    winner9909winner9909 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    maybe i didnt realize one says stateful one says stateless. Il try to notice next time those questions come up.