Passed 70-291!!

Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
I passed my final exam on Windows Server this morning for MCSA!! It was definitely the hardest Microsoft exam so far I have taken but not impossible. The beast has been defeated and I'm now MCSA certified. I used the MS press kit book, Exam Cram, TechExams TechNotes, and Microsoft TechNet articles which had good information to expand on DNS, DHCP, and RRAS topics. I'm now deciding if I should take a break and get the MCDST certification before it expires in June or skip it and continue on my MCSE certification track.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam!! icon_thumright.gif
*Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
*Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats. If I was going to do some MS exams, 291 would be on the list because it looks cool. What's up next for you ?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass! The MCDST should be easy after the 291.
  • vwtechvwtech Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great job on passing the 70-291 exam.
    I recommend going to Windows 2008, starting with 70-642.
    A lot of 70-642 tests objectives look to be the same as what 70-291 covered (concept wise).
    Don't tell co-workers your going for a Cert that they don't have. They may think your trying to take their job.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I plan on upgrading to MCITP once I finish my MCSE/CCNA certification track since I'm almost finished. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    Well done mate! This is a nice exam to get under your belt. I remember it well for being the only MS exam that required a retake.
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed my final exam on Windows Server this morning for MCSA!! It was definitely the hardest Microsoft exam so far I have taken but not impossible. The beast has been defeated and I'm now MCSA certified. I used the MS press kit book, Exam Cram, TechExams TechNotes, and Microsoft TechNet articles which had good information to expand on DNS, DHCP, and RRAS topics. I'm now deciding if I should take a break and get the MCDST certification before it expires in June or skip it and continue on my MCSE certification track.

I am gonna take the exam this month, any tips!!!
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am gonna take the exam this month, any tips!!!

Don't suck.

JK. This exam is tough and has earned it's reputation as the beast. Based on the passed/fail notes that I see on these forums it looks like about half of people fail on their first time. So if it happens, don't get discouraged.

This exam requires lots of labbing and hands on experience. You can't understand this by just reading a book. So if you don't have a lab in place, be prepared to build one for this.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Don't suck.

JK. This exam is tough and has earned it's reputation as the beast. Based on the passed/fail notes that I see on these forums it looks like about half of people fail on their first time. So if it happens, don't get discouraged.

This exam requires lots of labbing and hands on experience. You can't understand this by just reading a book. So if you don't have a lab in place, be prepared to build one for this.

Thanks alot for the tips:) i will keep in mind all the things u said!! Also, is the 'BEAST' the toughest only in the MCSA or the whole 7 exam MCSE? Thanks again!!
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I hear, 293 is much tougher.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    293 makes 291 look like a walk in the park. I thought 291 was fairly easy with a lot of short answer questions and the material was pretty straight forward. 293 had 50 VERY long questions and it took me almost the whole time to take the test. I was very glad to be done with 293...

To use a runner analogy 291 was a hilly 10K with 70 degree weather and 293 was a hilly marathon in 85 degree weather.
    Also, is the 'BEAST' the toughest only in the MCSA or the whole 7 exam MCSE? Thanks again!!

Not even close. For me the higher you go the harder they get. In my opinion at least, the 299 (optional exam for the security specialty) was harder than the 294 which was harder than the 293 which was harder than the 291.

I have the 298 scheduled for Monday and I expect this one to be harder than all of them. icon_cheers.gif
    Not even close. For me the higher you go the harder they get. In my opinion at least, the 299 (optional exam for the security specialty) was harder than the 294 which was harder than the 293 which was harder than the 291.

I have the 298 scheduled for Monday and I expect this one to be harder than all of them. icon_cheers.gif

so 298 is the toughest! Best of luck for your examicon_thumright.gif and tell us how did it go.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    70-298 was similar in content to 70-299 - it was just a totally different format. I am not a big fan of the testlet format and 298 uses this format, so find some practice exams and get used to the format.

You'll love it when you get a testlet that has large amounts of info about one subject (like say remote access) and then there are ZERO questions in the testlet about remote access. Just a lot of worthless material to make you waste time and add confusion.

I did not think 299 was that hard, but I have some security experience in my job. I agree that 293 and 294 were a pain, but I also had some AD experience so 294 was not that tough.

Good luck on 298.
    I am appearing for 70-291 on saturday, this is my last exam on the MCSA track,so if i pass, will i be immediately recognised as MCSA certified or i have to wait for the e-mail from microsoft.
    origdav wrote: »
    The exam will appear on your transcript generally 1 - 2 days after you've passed it, it may then take another 2 - 3 days before it recognises your an MCSA. Don't panic, give it time!

also i am unable to log in mcp site, i think it[my id] got expired or something, it says page not found ! they did sent me the code after my 1st exam but now it is not working. so my question is ...from where will i get my certificate? do prometric centre provides it[ of course with fees, shipping charges etc] OR it is important to get my login for mcp site.
    I just logged in.

Agreed with what origdav said. I passed the 70-298 last monday, saw it posted on my transcript on Tuesday night, and then got the MCSE on Wednesday night. I know it's hard, just gotta be patient and it will all go through.

To get your certificate, you need to first log into the MCP site. I would send an email to mcphelp@microsoft.com to assist with getting you in.
    I just logged in.

Agreed with what origdav said. I passed the 70-298 last monday, saw it posted on my transcript on Tuesday night, and then got the MCSE on Wednesday night. I know it's hard, just gotta be patient and it will all go through.

To get your certificate, you need to first log into the MCP site. I would send an email to mcphelp@microsoft.com to assist with getting you in.

DO i have to send an e-mail to microsoft? yesterday i passed the 70-291 with 760icon_cheers.gif so i completed my MCSA. I thought it takes 7 days or more for the transcript to appear, but after completing the required 4 exams u will get atleast a simple paper just like u get after the exam, that u r an MCSA. but i guess i have to wait for a weekicon_rolleyes.gif
  • vijanaka85vijanaka85 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

will u please tell me how is the structure of the exam?? is it 3 or 4 hours??
  • DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    u will get atleast a simple paper just like u get after the exam, that u r an MCSA. but i guess i have to wait for a weekicon_rolleyes.gif

Microsoft will not automatically send you a "paper" after getting your MCSA anymore. You will have to order your transcript or certificate from Microsoft now.
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can print your certificate all you like after it becomes available for download.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    DragonNOA1 wrote: »
    Microsoft will not automatically send you a "paper" after getting your MCSA anymore. You will have to order your transcript or certificate from Microsoft now.

I just wanted an confirmation, that i am an MCSA just after the exam. Anyways, i downloaded my certificate from mcp site which i am now able to log in. Does everybody orders the certificate? or its just a choice? thanks for the reply:)
    I just wanted an confirmation, that i am an MCSA just after the exam. Anyways, i downloaded my certificate from mcp site which i am now able to log in. Does everybody orders the certificate? or its just a choice? thanks for the reply:)

I order mine. I usually try to stack them up because I'm not gonna pay $10 a piece. I'm kind of upset with them now though. Placed my order back on like the 24th and was supposed to receive them last week (How long does it take to print 5 sheets of paper and stick them in an envelope?) but they have yet to arrive.
  • ampdeckampdeck Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hi guys, please suggest whats recommended exam after 70-291?

ive already completed
    70-270 and 20-290....

plese advise anyone.....
  • DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To complete your MCSE you would continue on with 70-293, 70-294, & then either 70-297 or 70-298; in that order.
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age