What should i do next after 1st line support?

Zee786Zee786 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi.

Please can someone give me some advise/guidance is to where i should go next in my IT career?

I graduated in 2004 with a 2:1 in Business/IT, I have been working in 1st line support in a bank for nearly 2 and half years. I would like to progress to the next step, would i believe is second line? Dont i have to do qualifications/ courses?

Is thee any chance i can skip second line and go into Networking admin?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thank you

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You should start working on the certiications and apply for hands-on jobs such as Desktop Support. You've paid your dues doing the helpdesk for 2 years, start applying for jobs.

You really cant go from helpdesk to net admin, unless you get very lucky. Think of it this way, if you were the Operations Manager for a company, would you give access to the firewalls, core switches and routers to someone who has never logged into the console of a device?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Zee786Zee786 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much. I agree think i am getting ahead of myself.

Would you be able to advise me what qualifications i should be doing, there are so many?
    Sure. Some folks might recommend beginning with the CompTia Network+, but I'd recommend the CCENT. You have worked on the helpdesk for a while, it's quite likely you know something about networking. Grab the Wendell Odom book and start reading.

Head over to the CCENT/CCNA forums where there is tons of great info. Stick around this website, it's an awesome place to be.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

And the CCENT gives you way more ROI than the Network+. In addition, as you go through the CCENT, you'll know if networking is for you. It wasnt for me which is why I am into the Microsoft side of things.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Zee786Zee786 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for your help!! icon_smile.gif deffo a good start...

I ll get started ..

Thank you once again and I ll be sticking round for sure
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Essendon wrote: »
    You should start working on the certiications and apply for hands-on jobs such as Desktop Support. You've paid your dues doing the helpdesk for 2 years, start applying for jobs.

You really cant go from helpdesk to net admin, unless you get very lucky. Think of it this way, if you were the Operations Manager for a company, would you give access to the firewalls, core switches and routers to someone who has never logged into the console of a device?

I agree with my esteemed Australian Friend.

To the OP it's time to get Cisco certified.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Zee786 wrote: »
    Hi.

Please can someone give me some advise/guidance is to where i should go next in my IT career?

I graduated in 2004 with a 2:1 in Business/IT, I have been working in 1st line support in a bank for nearly 2 and half years. I would like to progress to the next step, would i believe is second line? Dont i have to do qualifications/ courses?

Is thee any chance i can skip second line and go into Networking admin?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thank you

CISCO Certified my friend like Ess and Turgon mentioned!