Worth it for me to pursue Linux plus?

Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was wondering if I should even bother trying to get the Linux+ cert. Right now I am working on A+ (passed hardware today) after that I plan to take Net+ and possibly Security+, after that I think I will be done with Comptia certs and move onto MS ones. But I have taken a course on Linux (designed to prepare you for the Linux+ test) and I have a few study materials for the test, so I was considering going for it. But the main thing is when I get a job I do not plan on working with Linux nor do I want to, and there is really no point in getting a cert unless you want to work with the material relating to it right? It might look a little better on a resume, but if someone is hiring me as a tech and they only use windows systems then they should not care if I know Linux or not correct? I am just trying to decide if its’ worth it for me, at this point I think it would be a waste of time and I should just focus on my other certs.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    and there is really no point in getting a cert unless you want to work with the material relating to it right?
    Right.
    It might look a little better on a resume, but if someone is hiring me as a tech and they only use windows systems then they should not care if I know Linux or not correct?
    Correct.

And you can always mention the linux course on your resume or during the interview if a future job does include basic linux knowledge as a pre. But, if 'the boss' pays the exam fee, go for it. ;)
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I was searching deep and I found this thread.

I am also considering Linux+ after my CCNA. I was going to jump right into getting my MCITP, but I kind of want to get some Linux experience. At my current Job I have been asked if I know Linux several times, and I always have to say no.

I just do not like not knowing anything about Linux when it is such a big OS, and is doing nothing but getting more popular.

I hate to raise such an old thread, but any new opinions would be appreciated.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • reppgoareppgoa Member Posts: 151
    holy necro batman!

On topic, I would agree that there have been too many times where I was asked by some of the security guys if I know 'nix and I hate having to say no. This is why I have decided to get linux+ as well as RCHSA.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just started a new job and my years of routing and switching, Microsoft and networking is pretty much useless. They use Red Hat and bind in the section I work in, so this cert is interesting to me.
  • grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend the 'CompTIA Linux+ by LPI' (this is a two part exam but is much more respected than just the "Linux+" exam that it is replacing, which I have) IF you need a way to prove your proficiency on a *nix environment. It is fairly well acknowledged that these generic OS certificates only represent a basic level of knowledge.

If you want to be a RHEL, WinBloze, Cisco, Whatever, expert then take those particular certifications. If you are looking for a way to prove on your resume that you can be trusted to log in to bash and not try to edit sudoers directly.... well Linux+ is a great way to do that. With so many people just using Windows or Mac, there is an understandable concern with turning loose a new employee on "the box".

That being said; this is not a fluff exam. I took it with just a very little bit of prep, I work on *nix machines daily, and I BARELY passed.

Can you pipe grep commands and prep a cd-rw from command line, including establishing block read size and burn speed? Is there a difference between WireShark and Ethereal? What is the difference between a datagram, a packet, and a frame? What is the difference between the OSI model and the TCP/IP model? If you can correctly answer these questions right now (without looking up the answers icon_smile.gif you have a chance at passing.

Now ask yourself: "is there value in proving that I have learned this(above)?" if the answer is yes. Go for it. I think the Linux+ exam was well worth the money, but don't expect recruiters to start beating down your door icon_razz.gif

Best of luck.
  • robdogrobdog Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    grauwulf wrote: »
    I would recommend the 'CompTIA Linux+ by LPI' (this is a two part exam but is much more respected than just the "Linux+" exam that it is replacing, which I have) IF you need a way to prove your proficiency on a *nix environment. It is fairly well acknowledged that these generic OS certificates only represent a basic level of knowledge.

I am torn in between going for a RHCSA or taking Linux+ & followed up by Server+. I just lucked out & landed a job in a Linux shop & we use mainly CentOS, which is Red Hat. I guess I will take the exam that I will learn more about LVM & creating Virtual Servers. Does Linux+ cover this depth??
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    robdog wrote: »
    I am torn in between going for a RHCSA or taking Linux+ & followed up by Server+. I just lucked out & landed a job in a Linux shop & we use mainly CentOS, which is Red Hat. I guess I will take the exam that I will learn more about LVM & creating Virtual Servers. Does Linux+ cover this depth??

Since you manage CentOS then RHCSA is more beneficial to you. Take both Linux+, and RHCSA. Then think about RHCE.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    robdog wrote: »

I'll echo unixguy on this one. I think both could be beneficial. Linux+ would be a nice prep for RHCSA, if only to get you into the study mode. Server+ appears to be a "hyper generic" (copyright me icon_razz.gif ) exam so may not be useful to your cause in a CentOS shop. I would recommend Linux+1&2 followed up by the RHCSA. With those you should have some foundation and focus cred'.

Best of luck in whatever route you take.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What study material should I get if I decide to go for the Linux+ by LPI
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • lanrexng2lanrexng2 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I support Linux+ and beyond because it is to me the foundation of understanding IT in my opinion. The Linux kernel is used on desktops, servers, networking, security and maybe 80%+ of all embedded systems.

If understand Linux file system, directory, permissions, syntax, server services and if you can do and visualize it through the command line to me most Cisco, Microsoft (GUI), programming etc becomes much easier.

I would recommend you have a VM linux in runlevel 3 for practice and check out linuxcbt.com for great videos and tutorials.

good luckicon_thumright.gif
    M Sc Computer Science == 1% completeA+, Network+, Security+, CCENT == 100% complete
    ICND2, RHCSA, C/C++, Python, x86,
  • robdogrobdog Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey unixguy & grauwulf, I really appreciate your comments. I guess I could do both Linux + & RHCSA. Something to ponder about. Thanks againthumbup.gif
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Priston wrote: »
    What study material should I get if I decide to go for the Linux+ by LPI

I've been flipping through my copy of the Sybex Linux+ book, and can honestly say that I've learned quite a bit already. If you are a student, you should also check out the Labsim Linux+ by Testout; they give an awesome student discount, and there are some good videos/notes included.