Failed 70-640

Got 680/1000. 20 points shy of the 700 club. Exam certainly threw out a few curly ones. Back to the books again.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Damn that sucks man. What topics tripped you?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • SykkSykk Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awh that sucks.. Which topics were you unsure of.. Another week of review should surely be enough to go back and nail it.
    [√] 70-640 - 21/07/2011
    [ ] 70-642 - Currently reading Exam 70-642 Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    The areas I thought I was weak on (DNS/CA) were actually the areas I scored higher on and the areas I thought I was good with (AD) I was weak on. Go figure.

Ill review the second edition 70-640 book, relab it all out and try again in 2-3 weeks. I plan on smashing it next time.
    Oh and to top it all off, there were questions in there that I felt were totally unrealistic to what you would actually do in real life. NDA says I cant say what. you understand.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pzero wrote: »
    Oh and to top it all off, there were questions in there that I felt were totally unrealistic to what you would actually do in real life. NDA says I cant say what. you understand.

Welcome to the world of the "Microsoft Way"........that's how I failed the first time.

Once I was able to throw logic out of the window (though that's arguable, since the Microsoft Way can be considered "logicial"), you will pass not only this exam, but the other ones too.

You'll get it next time. Just remember this....if you have a choice between a third-party app, or MS...ALWAYS go MS. (Even if in real life you'd definitely go third-party.)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Good luck

I failed my service transition ITIL exam yesterday and I am taking it again. What do I have to lose a few thousand lol
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of the "Microsoft Way"........that's how I failed the first time.

Once I was able to throw logic out of the window (though that's arguable, since the Microsoft Way can be considered "logicial"), you will pass not only this exam, but the other ones too.

You'll get it next time. Just remember this....if you have a choice between a third-party app, or MS...ALWAYS go MS. (Even if in real life you'd definitely go third-party.)

Yep, I did one of the little chat sessions with the course mentor for the Server 08 tests. He basically came right out and said, there's a right way, a wrong way, and the Microsoft way. He also mentioned that the little survey at the beginning actually has an impact on your test by tailoring the questions to your stated level of experience. Not sure if it's true or not, but it wouldn't shock me.

You'll get it next time, not far off at all. icon_study.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Yep, I did one of the little chat sessions with the course mentor for the Server 08 tests. He basically came right out and said, there's a right way, a wrong way, and the Microsoft way. He also mentioned that the little survey at the beginning actually has an impact on your test by tailoring the questions to your stated level of experience. Not sure if it's true or not, but it wouldn't shock me.

You'll get it next time, not far off at all. icon_study.gif

My mentor emailed that "correct" way of answering the survey (1-2 years, moderate on everything...) I had the email on my new phone and read it right before I put the phone in my bag for the 640. There was a discussion about this sometime back here on whether or not that works...

Jury is still out on if that really helps, but me being a superstitious man, anything is certainly possible and I answered the survey appropriately.

Labsim definitely helps for this exam, but make sure you supplement it with TechNet. Labsim does not go deep enough into those command lines. Powershell is definitely a plus to know too and I am going to delve deeper into it after my MCITP stuff is over.
    Thanks for the replies. I guess the "pre-survey" is prob designed to catch the dumpers. ie: if you answer that you dont have too much experience etc and score highly in a quick amount of time then MS would probably want to investigate why.

I know that when I went to start it told me there are x questions for this exam, then it presented the pre-exam survey, so its hard to say if the exam is pre-determined, or then rejiggered after your pre-exam survey. Who knows it may not even be used at all.

I wish MS/Prometric would hurry up and reoffer the 83-xxx exams, I know I would do so much better!
    Thanks for the replies. I guess the "pre-survey" is prob designed to catch the dumpers. ie: if you answer that you dont have too much experience etc and score highly in a quick amount of time then MS would probably want to investigate why.

I know that when I went to start it told me there are x questions for this exam, then it presented the pre-exam survey, so its hard to say if the exam is pre-determined, or then rejiggered after your pre-exam survey. Who knows it may not even be used at all.

I wish MS/Prometric would hurry up and reoffer the 83-xxx exams, I know I would do so much better!

You never know about the relation between the survey and the exam. I have always chosen "I have configured this with the help of others" option for all questions. The exams I've had have sometimes been easy, other times, not so easy. I dont think it affects your questions, only serves to weed out dumpers, just like you suggested.

I'm sure more people would pass the exams if they brought back the 83-xxx exams. I did the 83-640, and passed no issues at all. I think I had 3-4 of those simulations, and breezed through them.

Good luck on your retake!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass, you'll get it the next time.

The pre exam survey has no bearing on the difficulty of questions received. If you could manipulate an exam that way, M$ would shut that down ASAP.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    The pre exam survey has no bearing on the difficulty of questions received. If you could manipulate an exam that way, M$ would shut that down ASAP.

Makes perfect sense.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got 680/1000. 20 points shy of the 700 club. Exam certainly threw out a few curly ones. Back to the books again.

Same score for me. I hit it again for a couple of weeks and passed with a 760.

I will agree on the "curly" ones. Very ambiguous questions with at least 2 answers that are vague and could both be correct.