How to study for the 640? (newbie)

arvin2212arvin2212 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys, as from my previous thread, i mentioned that i was going to join a 35 day bootcamp somewhere next year to complete my MCITP.

Now, i have no experience in AD and so on, so i am going to start from scratch. As i am a Diploma holder, it has been tough to get a job that would bless me with the experience that would help me for the MCITP exams.

My only choice would be to learn it on my own.

As of now, i have these materials at hand:

Microsoft Press books for MCITP
VTC training videos
CBT Nuggets
TrainSignal (I think this is the best among all)

I want to master active directory at first (640) before proceeding with the rest. So i have read the book a little, less than 2 chapters, as i would require a server to practice. The same goes with the TrainSignal videos.

I have purchased a Dell Poweredge T110 Server (Xeon 3440) to assist me with the videos and book. I am waiting for it to be delivered to me since I've just ordered it today.

My question would be, what is the best method to study for this paper? I know by studying and practicing, I'll develop the necessary skills in handling AD as well, but that would also come with real life experience. Sometimes while reading, i tend to "Zone-Out" as there are just too much of information for me to remember / comprehend. What would your suggestion be for a newbie like me? The best way / method to study?

Comments

• nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    how many gig of memory did u order? make sure you get at least 8 gig of memory, go download vmware workstation software, install it on there and download a few trial oversion of windows 2008, install it on there and go to town.......icon_lol.gif
  • arvin2212arvin2212 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    how many gig of memory did u order? make sure you get at least 8 gig of memory, go download vmware workstation software, install it on there and download a few trial oversion of windows 2008, install it on there and go to town.......icon_lol.gif

Hello nhan.ng. Good to see you here :)

I ordered the basic one 2GB, as i thought it'll be cheaper for me to purchase additional RAM from a different manufacturer. In your opinion, would a non ECC RAM work with this system? If it does, then would it be advice-able for me to get a desktop RAM for this system?

I've already downloaded a copy of Windows server 2008 R2 (Standard) 64bit and a Windows server 2003 R2 (Standard) just in case. Cannot wait to start toying around with it. :D
    i believe your server is using ECC ram. Use crucial memory scanner to find out:

Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer
    i believe your server is using ECC ram. Use crucial memory scanner to find out:

Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer

I used the memory recommendation tool from the site prior to creating this thread but, from newegg, i have seen people using normal RAMs with the XEON X3440 processor. Oh well, I'd probably bring it to a retail store once i get the server and see if it works :D

Btw, I've started reviewing the videos from Trainsignal and it feels so good that i know a lot more than i did previously! I know its too early to celebrate but prior to this, i was in a huge dilemma when i read the MS press book but couldn't understand whatever that was being presented to me. Now, i know more and the drive is in me to know and learn more :)

Btw, the video which i reviewed was about the introduction to Windows 2008. The plain Jane version, not R2. Thought I'd learn about the OS before jumping to the heavier stuff.
    your server board uses ECC memory, stick with that. :) I'm also studying for 70-640 via WGU using LabSim. I also build my own machines in preparation for the MCITP route but havent touch them yet :D lol
    your server board uses ECC memory, stick with that. :) I'm also studying for 70-640 via WGU using LabSim. I also build my own machines in preparation for the MCITP route but havent touch them yet :D lol

What is WGU? :)icon_redface.gif

Btw, i've received my server today.

Installed Windows 2008 x64 R2 standard edition on it.

About vmware? I tried checking the one with esxi, but it requires me to install it from a CD after booting up which i don't quite understand.

So I am currently downloading Vmware Server 2.0 . Would this be okay?
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use virtual box to create your virtual machines for your practices
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I would recommend you download this: Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008: R2 instead of putting an actual OS on the server w/hyper-v as a role. Getting experience with Hyper-V will benefit you more in the long run.

As for how to study, read, practice, lab, repeat. If you don't understand something in the book, lab it out to help you figure it out.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
    WGU = western governors university.

Esxi = you'll need a dedicated system to run this. You cant boot it and other OS side by side, you'll log in and control it via a 2nd machine.

vmware workstation = popular but not free, i believe the vmware server edition is free
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    I would recommend you download this: Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008: R2 instead of putting an actual OS on the server w/hyper-v as a role. Getting experience with Hyper-V will benefit you more in the long run.

As for how to study, read, practice, lab, repeat. If you don't understand something in the book, lab it out to help you figure it out.

crrussell3, thank you :)

I am looking into that option as we speak and I'll try downloading it and then running it, but since i am away from home at this moment, i am forced to use VMWare as I am using a mobile connection at where i am since I am still waiting to apply for an ADSL connection.

Thank you for the suggestion on how to study. That is the route that i want to follow as well.
    WGU = western governors university.

Esxi = you'll need a dedicated system to run this. You cant boot it and other OS side by side, you'll log in and control it via a 2nd machine.

vmware workstation = popular but not free, i believe the vmware server edition is free

I guess Esxi would be something similar to what crrussell3 has suggested right? Thank you about the WGU info. Its certainly interesting and how I wish I could enroll myself there, however they're not accepting international applicants for now which is quite a shame. icon_sad.gif

So far, everything seems to be running fine. I'll be off to the local mall after work to get two ECC RAMS for the server (KVR667D2D4F5/4G) where the total would be about 8GB.

Then, it all begins :D

EDIT: Bad news. I've called the outlet and they said that they would have to order the RAM. I guess I'll just get it online since its cheaper and I don't have to travel far just to register myself at the outlet to order the RAM. I've contacted the seller, but he said he is on vacation so I am not sure when i would receive the RAM. Oh well, i guess i would have to make do with 2GB of RAM for the time being.