Starting college this semester...

ChristopherHChristopherH Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

For the past hour I have been reading this forum and it seems very informative as well as very friendly.

So I come to you with a few questions.

In August I'm going for my A.S. in Network Services Technology at my local community college.

My first two classes i will be taking is "Windows Client Operating Systems" and "Network+"

Next semester I start "Beginning PC Repairs" and Cisco Router Technology"

In a year from now I would like to have my A+, Network+, CCNA, Security+
and decide where i want to go after I learn more of my career path.

My question is what should I expect? I have been researching it quite a bit, but I would still like to know from people that have gone through the schooling and certs.

Also I'm going to get a new laptop for school...Whats a good laptop that will last me through schooling and will also be able to use the different virtual programs and other things I may need to use it for? Perfer Budget: no more than $1000

Thanks for all the help and feedback

Comments

• bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Every community college is a bit different, but overall I think you will have a good experience, especially if you learn well in a classroom environment. I have been underwhelmed by some of my classes, and then others have been quite challenging. There are a lot of variables when it comes to predicting how college will be for an individual, not the least of which is the professor themselves.

As far as your cert plan, that sounds similar to what I'm doing. I would begin some self study if I was you, as it can only help your cause. The Network+ will probably be especially helpful to you, depending on your level of knowledge/experience with networking in general. You may even surprise yourself and knock out those certs quicker than you thought, and then need to decide where to go from there (not a bad thing).

For laptops, I've always had success with Acer, but that's me. If you're dead-set on running virtual machines on it, look for a triple or quad core with at least 4 GB of RAM. What I would do is not buy a laptop at all, and instead buy a desktop (if you don't already have a somewhat beastly one). My reasoning:

1. Community colleges have computer labs, and a lot of them have special computer labs just for the people in technology programs. You'll have access to a computer at school if you need it.

2. Some of your classes will probably have computers in the room already, which will negate the need for a laptop.

3. Your budget will go farther and do more for you if you buy a desktop. You could pretty easily do 16 GB of RAM, several HDDs, and a nice quad core on your budget (and maybe even fit in the cost of a few Cisco devices to get cracking on that CCNA). For 1000, you may even be able to do a desktop and a dual monitor setup (assuming you already have one monitor). I can't tell you how much nicer it is to have dual monitors when studying. Newegg combo discounts are your friend!

I hope this was helpful to you. Sounds like your on the right path. Good luck to you!
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    .....In a year from now I would like to have my A+, Network+, CCNA, Security+......

Unless you plan on studying 24-7 I think that getting all those certs in one year is being over-optimistic. The CCNA alone is quite challenging and definately not for the faint of heart. I say give yourself two years so that you're sure that you have a firm understanding of the material.icon_study.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    MrRyte wrote: »
    Unless you plan on studying 24-7 I think that getting all those certs in one year is being over-optimistic. The CCNA alone is quite challenging and definately not for the faint of heart. I say give yourself two years so that you're sure that you have a firm understanding of the material.icon_study.gif

Depending on what he knows already. It is certantly possible if he has a good knowledge of computers/networks. Heck, he's started looking at certs before even being in college. Seems ambitious to me!

The CompTIA's should be a piece of cake to knock out after you take the given class for them and spend time on your own studying.

Good luck!
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got this laptop last week Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E420 1141 A24 Laptop Computer With 14 LED Backlit Screen Intel Core i5 2410M With Turbo Boost 20 by Office Depot

I think it's pretty awesome. For 550 you get a light, fast laptop that isn't tacky. It's a beast on it's own but I got a 60 dollar 8GB ram kit and popped it on there. I can run a few vms on that. It handles games okay from what I can tell, I've played Champions MMO and a space game.

If you have an office depot it's worth checking out.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • ChristopherHChristopherH Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the help guys! I knew it would be a good choice to get on this forum. I can't wait to post my certificates to you guys one day!

As far as finishing those certs by one year.. I think I have a great plan, my first semester is windows client operating system and network +, after that I plan to take my network + cert, 2nd semester is Begginging PC repairs and Cisco Router Tech, my 3rd semester would be Advance Pc repair, and Cisco Advance router tech, where then after that I would be able to take my A+, and my CCNA, and then I would just continue education and choose what certs I would want to do after that.

I know its going to be hard, and a Journey but I'm so ready to better my self with education and begin a succesful career.

I'm deffinitely going to check out this laptop today. Thanks alot for the help.
    tbgree00 wrote: »

Thanks for all the advice / help
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the help guys! I knew it would be a good choice to get on this forum. I can't wait to post my certificates to you guys one day!

As far as finishing those certs by one year.. I think I have a great plan, my first semester is windows client operating system and network +, after that I plan to take my network + cert, 2nd semester is Begginging PC repairs and Cisco Router Tech, my 3rd semester would be Advance Pc repair, and Cisco Advance router tech, where then after that I would be able to take my A+, and my CCNA, and then I would just continue education and choose what certs I would want to do after that.

I know its going to be hard, and a Journey but I'm so ready to better my self with education and begin a succesful career.

I'm deffinitely going to check out this laptop today. Thanks alot for the help.

Thanks for all the advice / help
    There will be some challenging/trying times but always keep your goals in mind. Can't wait to hear when you become A+ and CCNA certified! icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Depending on what he knows already. It is certantly possible if he has a good knowledge of computers/networks. Heck, he's started looking at certs before even being in college. Seems ambitious to me!

The CompTIA's should be a piece of cake to knock out after you take the given class for them and spend time on your own studying.

Good luck!

I'll second this. I got my trinity in a little over 2 months. Finished the CCENT in a shade over a month. It all depends on your background. A year however shouldn't be out of the realm off possibility for anyone that has an aptitude for these types of things regardless of experience.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    congrats on starting college soon! You will find it really rewarding. Don't listen to anyone who says that you do not need a degree to get into IT. Most of the time you do because the degree is a stepping stone. I am one class away from an Associates Degree in Technical Support and just got my first IT contract job this summer. Already told my contract job that I can work only summers and will be going to school full time to get my BS in Information Technology and Administrative management.

Overall, my point is, do not let people tell you not to get a degree. You should! It's not necessary in IT for most people who have been in the industry already, but if you do it when your young then you will be better off when moving up in the IT world. You will be able to apply for certain positions like being an IT manager or Systems admin. I would also think about getting a bachelors if you can afford it. Everything helps when it comes to getting the education. I would definatly look for contract jobs and start gaining your experience.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In a year from now I would like to have my A+, Network+, CCNA, Security+
    and decide where i want to go after I learn more of my career path.

You don't need a year for these things. Start studying the A+ during your OS class and see where it takes you. By this time next year it shouldn't be too difficult to list all 4 of these on your resume.
    My question is what should I expect? I have been researching it quite a bit, but I would still like to know from people that have gone through the schooling and certs.

I started out at a 2 year technical college. It's nothing super fancy. I learned a few handfuls of things from it but I've learned far more on my own than I ever did in a classroom. It is a nice thing to list out on a Resume, but your future will be what you make it. I hold the same degree as 4 or 5 friends that I graduated with. Guess which one of us is the goto person when they have a question. Guess which one is making the most money. If you have the drive and the desire, you will succeed.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    MrRyte wrote: »
    There will be some challenging/trying times but always keep your goals in mind. Can't wait to hear when you become A+ and CCNA certified! icon_thumright.gif
    Thanks I really sincerely appreciate that. I cant wait to be a bigger part in this community and give advice like you all are :)
    Armymanis wrote: »
    congrats on starting college soon! You will find it really rewarding. Don't listen to anyone who says that you do not need a degree to get into IT.

Thanks that is really motivating...I just ran into an old acquaintance of mine the other day, and I told him what I'm going to school for and he basically laughed because he just finished what I'm doing and cant find a job anywhere..Yes he has his AS now, but he has not gotten any certificates because he says there a waste of time...I think the certificates are one of the things that helped you get looked at, not just your AS..Am I wrong?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yupp, you are not wrong. Certs may not alone get you a job but they will definitely help in getting your resume picked from the pile.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com