Wireshark University

Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone looking at taking this exam? Seems very interesting and knowing the ins and outs of wireshark should prove to be very useful.

Comments

• tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    For people in the security field it seems like a good idea. I think there are a lot more important certifications to get before this one, though. For someone with as many certs as you, I'd say go for it lol.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There has been talk on this forum about the WCNA. I believe Docrice and a few others have actually taken the exam.

I think I might take this after I take care some other exams first. I do have the book sitting on my shelf :).
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have looked at it now and then but haven't committed to it yet. It seems to be more for network troubleshooting then security though.
  • Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i'm in the process of troubleshooting a packet discard issue at work on our switches & came across this exam while researching.

The pricing and training materials seem pricey.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Crucio666 wrote: »
    i'm in the process of troubleshooting a packet discard issue at work on our switches & came across this exam while researching.

The pricing and training materials seem pricey.
    We talk about that in the "After the WireShark Book" thread. But if you find yourself looking as really low-level stuff a lot, this might be worth the money to you.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We talk about that in the "After the WireShark Book" thread. But if you find yourself looking as really low-level stuff a lot, this might be worth the money to you.

I don't know about the ROI of the certification, but the training I'm sure is exceptional.
    I don't know about the ROI of the certification, but the training I'm sure is exceptional.

Certainly I do not disagree with that. My only point was that if you are not using WireShark to troubleshoot low-level issues, then it may not be worth it to you. I almost never use it for troubleshooting any protocols lower than level 7, so there is probably no point in me taking the training or reading the book. If I were a network guy and really needed to look at the PDUs at layer 2 or 3 and on up then I would consider it.

I think if you are the average network guy it would be useful, but you might never use 90% of what you learn. Now if you are the guy in your NOC that has to deal with broke stuff all the time, then that might be different. If you want to really take your understanding of network protocols up to a high level then do it.

I see this as similar to the Windows Internals exam I am looking at taking now. It's way overkill for the average sys admin. But I'm the guy everyone looks at when things are breaking...
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I didn't mean to make it look like was disagreeing with you.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am about 75 percent done with the book. I am pretty sure I won't be taking this exam now. $400 dollars is a lot of scratch. I have gone back and forth about it but after giving it a really hard think, I just don't see the ROI. The way I see it, when I am ready for a packet level exam, I will go after GCIA Information Security Certification - GIAC

I also looked at the classes online. $700 is pretty high but the material may be worth it. I just don't think I am willing to pay for it. Maybe, if I cut down my overall goals for next year I may pick this up but I would really need to see some reviews before I do.
    I didn't mean to make it look like was disagreeing with you.
    I didn't think you were. I was just trying to explain myself a bit better. I like to hear my self talk. You should know that by now. icon_wink.gif
  • Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started looking at the first two DVD videos. Interesting information.

Starring at packets all day really provides you a different type of insight on what's going on in your network.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Crucio666 wrote: »
    I started looking at the first two DVD videos. Interesting information.

Starring at packets all day really provides you a different type of insight on what's going on in your network.

How indepth was the information?