Different from deter & prevent

busoh.sensenbusoh.sensen Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all,

i want to now what is different deter n prevent? in many case this word is confus. just example, cctv is what? deter or prevent? high wall is what? security guard, dog guard and soon...

please help me ...

many tx,

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If this helps, a deterrent may prevent something from happening. So to deter is to hope to prevent something.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • busoh.sensenbusoh.sensen Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    If this helps, a deterrent may prevent something from happening. So to deter is to hope to prevent something.

ok, now if in the exam theres question like that (cctv is what, guard, dog, fence, sentrygun maybe hahah and all physical security) what is the best the answer?
    to deter or to prevent?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Deter. Not prevent.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • busoh.sensenbusoh.sensen Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanx essendon, hope this helpfull
  • emaupinemaupin Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My interpretation is that "deter" means to make an attacker decide not to to attack you. An example of this would be a sign saying "This property is protected by AAA Security". An attacker would see this sign and decide that it's not safe to attack your property, thus he has been deterred.

"Prevent" means to actually stop the attacker from attacking. An example of this would be a wall. An attacker might try to attack your property, but the wall physically stops him, thus the attack has been prevented.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    A "deterrent" is meant to discourage someone from exploiting a potential vulnerability. They are not "prevented" from attempting the exploit, but they are encouraged to think twice about doing so, and to look elsewhere for some other "low-hanging fruit" vulnerability.