Certs for the Linux Novice

speedy162005speedy162005 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I'm currently working in a call center for a specific piece of legal software and I'm looking to make a career change. I have an associates degree in Network Administration and I am currently in college going for a degree in Computer Engineering, with a follow up program that will focus specifically on security.

However, because I work full time, this degree is a ways off. I was looking to get some Linux certifications because that is the area I'd like to ultimately focus on because there are quite a few businesses in the area hiring for those positions.

I did a quarter of Linux 5 years ago but I never got a chance to really pursue anything with it. I want to get some certifications, but I'm not sure on which one would be the best to get for a relative Linux novice.

Any thoughts on good certs?

Comments

• crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    LPIC-1 is a great place to start. Also, Techexams does have a forum section dedicated to Linux Certifications, so I would suggest reading there and seeing if a mod could move your post.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not an expert on the subject of Linux, but a few months ago I was looking into Linux+. Passing this will get you Linux+ and LPIC-1 if I remember correctly.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • speedy162005speedy162005 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the information. When I originally started writing the post, it was more general than what it wound up being when I posted it, hence it winding up in the wrong board.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When you do start studying, make sure you are going "guiless" (pure CLI only). I have a linux class in the Fall and to prepare, I am doing "guiless" weekends. Where I only use the CLI to do the things I normally do on my machine. As I get closer to the class, I plan to go longer using CLI and the week before the class starts I want to do an entire guiless week. Pick a few distros and just go for it (I am using freebsd, centos, and ubuntu server although ubuntu server is my primary "learning" platform).
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I second that. Go without the GUI.

As soon as you get to put your hands on the first server you will quickly notice, that there is no GUI installed (if done right). It's all CLI. The Cash Line Interface icon_smile.gif

Make sure you know how to edit files with VI or some editor of your choice. You also need to know how to get processes to re-read their configuration file once you changed it.

I know that getting into Linux can be a tough time and that you will feel lost from time to time but the rewards are worth to figure it all out. Once you get the full picture you will admire the beauty through simplicity that is Linux/Unix icon_wink.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    lordy wrote: »

I know that getting into Linux can be a tough time and that you will feel lost from time to time but the rewards are worth to figure it all out. Once you get the full picture you will admire the beauty through simplicity that is Linux/Unix icon_wink.gif

I really agree with Lordy on this. Learning can be tough, and usually takes longer than learning in other fields of IT, but it's very rewarding and IT WILL get easier. Keep up the good work icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• speedy162005speedy162005 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your help everyone. After a careful analysis of where do I want to go with life, some speaking with some others within the company where I work, and the free acquisition of a whole bunch of study material, I've decided I'm going to start with a baseline of the Security+ Cert and then as I am learning the Security+ info, I'll do it all out of Linux.