JNCIA study time

Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
Hi all,

This is my first foray into the world of Juniper. I'm currently studying for the JNCIA (JN101) exam and I'm just wondering how you long you guys spent on it.

I'm more than happy with the network fundamentals involved. I'm reading the fast Track PDFs from juniper and also going through the 'Junos as a second language' cbt on the website. I've built an olive for GNS3 (probably the hardest thing out of it all - me and linux are not good friends) and I'm labbing it up quite happily.

It all seems fairly easy and I was thinking of going for the exam within a week or two. Does anyone think I'm jumping the gun here? or is that how long you'd expect for someone with a strong cisco background?

Cheers in advance

Chris
Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
:study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]

Comments

• ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    From what I've heard, if you have a cisco R&S background, it's a piece of cake.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    From what I've heard, if you have a cisco R&S background, it's a piece of cake.

This is what I've been reading as well, and I hope it is accurate. I plan on working on the JNCIA sometime after my CCNA is done. Can't ever have too much knowledge icon_thumright.gif.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just curious, do you work with Juniper at all?
  • Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Just curious, do you work with Juniper at all?

Not to any great level, just need to log into them every now and then to run a few show commands for fault finding - never had to configure anything on them. Another department looks after all the Juniper config work.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Chris_ wrote: »
    Not to any great level, just need to log into them every now and then to run a few show commands for fault finding - never had to configure anything on them. Another department looks after all the Juniper config work.

I was just curious. You are like the second person to mention this in the last few days. I was wondering if Juniper was picking up or something. I don't work with Juniper at all but JNCIA seems to be picking up steam around here.
  • Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    I was just curious. You are like the second person to mention this in the last few days. I was wondering if Juniper was picking up or something. I don't work with Juniper at all but JNCIA seems to be picking up steam around here.

I work for a large managed service provider; we have our own MPLS core network which I believe (haven't been here long) was previously all cisco but was recently migrated to Juniper.

Apparently we are also now offering Juniper as a Cisco alternative for enterprise solutions. The company want as many people to be Juniper certified as possible. Probably more for the partner status than anything else.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It took me a couple weeks of reading and messing around with some olives if I remember correctly. The hardest part is learning the command syntax and some of the subtle differences in static routes, routing tables etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.