Chasing CCIE written

NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
I have been contemplating on chasing the CCNP-security and then going for CCIE security. Today, I have talk to one of my friend that is in Cisco Live. I guess he made me open my eyes after he talked to the CCIE's at Cisco Live. I love security but I only touch the ASA and ASDM. I know a lot more of the RS than cisco security. I made up my mind that I will be chasing CCIE RS.

Currently, I have the following:
    1. [FONT=&quot]CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide 4th edition[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=&quot]Routing TCP/IP Volume I[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=&quot]Routing TCP/IP Volume II[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=&quot]Internet Routing Architectures - BGP = Halabi[/FONT]
    5. [FONT=&quot]Cisco Press Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide Second Edition[/FONT]
    6. [FONT=&quot]MPLS Fundamentals[/FONT]
    7. [FONT=&quot]Developing IP Multicast Networks[/FONT]
    8. [FONT=&quot]CBT Nuggets CCIE Video (36 vids)[/FONT]
    9. [FONT=&quot]CBT Nuggets CCIE Video Practice Lab (20 vids)[/FONT]

EDIT: Edited the list of books that I plan to read.

Comments

• reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
      Start with books, lots of books. Reading is the main ingredient in your CCIE studies for the written, videos should only be an aid. Read about something and then you can watch a video if you like to get another angle or find out some gotchas etc.

That's quite a good booklist, you might add something on multicast and on MPLS and that should cover most of the blueprint.

Make up a plan or schedule on how much you should read each week and try sticking to it. Being successfull in the written is more about discipline and regular study than hardcore intense reading.

When you get to the final stages I can recommend the Boson test engine which I used myself before I did the written.

If there is anything else you would like to know don't hesitate to write here or ping me in private.
      Daniel Dib
      CCIE #37149
    • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
      reaper81 wrote: »
      Start with books, lots of books. Reading is the main ingredient in your CCIE studies for the written, videos should only be an aid. Read about something and then you can watch a video if you like to get another angle or find out some gotchas etc.

That's quite a good booklist, you might add something on multicast and on MPLS and that should cover most of the blueprint.

Make up a plan or schedule on how much you should read each week and try sticking to it. Being successfull in the written is more about discipline and regular study than hardcore intense reading.

When you get to the final stages I can recommend the Boson test engine which I used myself before I did the written.

If there is anything else you would like to know don't hesitate to write here or ping me in private.
      Thanks

I have these:
      MPLS Fundamentals
      CCIE Practical Studies Volume II
      Developing IP Multicast Networks

Which book should I read first and why?

thanks
      icon_thumright.gif
    • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
      Good luck. I am looking forward to watching your progress!
      Good luck. I am looking forward to watching your progress!
      Thanks. I know its going to be a long road for me but I have to make sacrifices to get where I want to be. I will never look back.

You should go for CCIE icon_lol.gif
    • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
      NOC-Ninja wrote: »
      Thanks. I know its going to be a long road for me but I have to make sacrifices to get where I want to be. I will never look back.

You should go for CCIE icon_lol.gif

Check your PM
    • gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222
      Go for it!!!!!! Good luck and keep us posted of your progress :)
      ‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
      you'll never get it done"
      So far so good. Ive been reading "CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide 4th edition". I spent 8hrs from tues to friday on reading and researching about what I am reading. I am currently on page 68. I don't just read but I make sure that I understand everything. I stop when I dont understand what I am reading and research (google) it. Im aiming to take the test in 6-10 months.

I am no rush. I want to be the best CCIE out there. I still have a lot of books to read after this. So here are the books that I am planning to read from page 1 to the end.

1. CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide 4th edition
      2. Routing TCP/IP Volume II
      3. Internet Routing Architectures - BGP = Halabi
      4. Cisco Catalyst QoS: Quality of Service in Campus Networks (BORING BOOK)
      5. MPLS Fundamentals
      6. Developing IP Multicast Networks

I forgot if Turgon or Forsaken said it but CCIE is a marathon and not a sprint.

Happy weekend and back to reading.
    • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
      I think we've both said it one way or the other, though I'm pretty sure Turgon said it first!

Don't skip Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1. The Odom book is good, but the Doyle book is better when it comes to the routing protocols. You can skip the IS-IS chapters though, as the current CCIE R&S doesn't test on it.

Skip the Catalyst QoS book, and pick up the QoS CCIP exam book instead. It's a much better resource.

This also allows you to skip the QOS chapters in the R&S Cert guide as well. They're both written by the same author, so it'd be a little redundant, and the QoS exam book is a better source.
      I think we've both said it one way or the other, though I'm pretty sure Turgon said it first!

Don't skip Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1. The Odom book is good, but the Doyle book is better when it comes to the routing protocols. You can skip the IS-IS chapters though, as the current CCIE R&S doesn't test on it.

Skip the Catalyst QoS book, and pick up the QoS CCIP exam book instead. It's a much better resource.

This also allows you to skip the QOS chapters in the R&S Cert guide as well. They're both written by the same author, so it'd be a little redundant, and the QoS exam book is a better source.
      okay.

Is this the right QOS book?

Amazon.com: Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide (IP Telephony Self-Study) (2nd Edition) (9781587201240): Wendell Odom, Michael J. Cavanaugh: Books
      That would be the one!
    • TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
      That's the book I'm reading at the moment. I'm about 3/4 of the way through and it's been a good read so far. I'm pretty green with all this QoS stuff as for the CCNP I completed the BCMSN and BCSI, and after those two the Tshoot exam came out right on time. It was fun taking the Tshoot exam and it's been my favourite so far but I missed out on the ISCW and ONT. I use a lot of VPNs etc for work but the exposure to QoS topics have been minimal at best.

The book itself has been as easy read so far, I'm guessing it doesn't go indepth enough for the CCIE? The only chapter I think I'll have to go back to atm is the queuing one dealing with CBWFQ/LLQ etc, information overload on that one.
    • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
      Good luck on this endeavor!

I'm taking the "I don't know crap so, I'm starting from the basics" route. lol My reading list is:

Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 (2nd ed) and 2
      BCMSN Self Study Guide
      CCIE R&S Exam Guide
      and I will cross reference white papers when needed.

If I can pass the exam, then I will focus on the tech specifics more (QoS, Multicasting, MPLS, BGP, and all that jazz) icon_thumright.gif

I'm reading Odom know and being an LAN Engineer, you realize how much you don't deal with anything routing..lol so I think that the method that I'm using will work for me.
      Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
      TesseracT wrote: »
      That's the book I'm reading at the moment. I'm about 3/4 of the way through and it's been a good read so far. I'm pretty green with all this QoS stuff as for the CCNP I completed the BCMSN and BCSI, and after those two the Tshoot exam came out right on time. It was fun taking the Tshoot exam and it's been my favourite so far but I missed out on the ISCW and ONT. I use a lot of VPNs etc for work but the exposure to QoS topics have been minimal at best.

The book itself has been as easy read so far, I'm guessing it doesn't go indepth enough for the CCIE? The only chapter I think I'll have to go back to atm is the queuing one dealing with CBWFQ/LLQ etc, information overload on that one.

Actually just finished the fragmentation/interleaving chapter. Will definately have to give this a once over as well. 2 chapters to go!
    • 6stitches6stitches Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
      I started reading for the written, currently on page 222 on Odom book. What I notice about Odom's book is that it lacks depth. I will need to follow up with CCNP switching book and the others mentioned above.

there are sections, like "Policy Routing" and OER, which is only from pages 201 to 212, and it leaves me thinking that I should seek supplemental sources
      That would be the one!

Thanks, I got it.
      jahsoul wrote: »
      Good luck on this endeavor!

I'm taking the "I don't know crap so, I'm starting from the basics" route. lol My reading list is:

Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 (2nd ed) and 2
      BCMSN Self Study Guide
      CCIE R&S Exam Guide
      and I will cross reference white papers when needed.

If I can pass the exam, then I will focus on the tech specifics more (QoS, Multicasting, MPLS, BGP, and all that jazz) icon_thumright.gif

I'm reading Odom know and being an LAN Engineer, you realize how much you don't deal with anything routing..lol so I think that the method that I'm using will work for me.
      I am on the same boat as you. We have our own SP that deals with routers so I am not touching those.
      6stitches wrote: »
      I started reading for the written, currently on page 222 on Odom book. What I notice about Odom's book is that it lacks depth. I will need to follow up with CCNP switching book and the others mentioned above.

there are sections, like "Policy Routing" and OER, which is only from pages 201 to 212, and it leaves me thinking that I should seek supplemental sources
      It lacks due to the Authors expectation that we have a deeper knowledge of the subject. I think as long as we have the NP books then we are fine.
      It lacks due to the Authors expectation that we have a deeper knowledge of the subject. I think as long as we have the NP books then we are fine.

Yes, he does assume a certain level of proficiency.

That being said, the Written isn't all that deep either, so while I certainly recommend supplementing the Odom tome with additional reading, particularly in your weak areas, the content is fairly representative of what you need to know. It's just a little light on the why.
      Yes, he does assume a certain level of proficiency.

That being said, the Written isn't all that deep either, so while I certainly recommend supplementing the Odom tome with additional reading, particularly in your weak areas, the content is fairly representative of what you need to know. It's just a little light on the why.

Btw, Do you have a home lab or are you doing the labs through tokens?

Ive been thinking about buying a home lab.

Here's what I found at Cisco website:

Lab Equipment and IOS

The lab exam tests any feature that can be configured on the equipment and the IOS versions indicated below. You may see more recent IOS versions installed in the lab, but you will not be tested on the new features of a release unless indicated below.
      Version 4.0

1. 1841 series routers - IOS 12.4(T) – Advanced Enterprise Services
      2. 3825 series routers - IOS 12.4(T) – Advanced Enterprise Services
      3. Catalyst 3560 Series switches running IOS version 12.2 - Advanced IP Services

I have 3 3550 switches that I can upgrade the IOS version.
      Can you recommend any gears that I can you for home lab or is it better to just use tokens?

I guess my real question is, is it better you use tokens or buy a home lab?
      I have a lab. It consists of 3640's and 2610xm's for routers, 2500's for backbone routers, and 3550's for the switches. There's only a few things the 3550's can do that the 3560's can't, and I'll use racktime to shore those up.

As far as which is better.... I believe having your own gear is better. It'll be cheaper in the long run, and you're not at the mercy of someone else's scheduling whims.
      Thanks for the reply Forsaken. Do you have a linkedin? if so, can you PM me a link so I can add you.

Anyhow, so far i spent lots of hours reading the book. Im in page 163 and a lot of stuff is just a refresh since its not too long ago that I passed CCNP. However, Im not skipping anything when it comes to reading.

Also, my girl is getting mad at me now since I go home and just go straight to my computer and start reading. I dont know. I think she feels like I'm ignoring her but the truth is I want and need this. I already explained to her about this journey but I guess she didn't get it.
      Thanks for the reply Forsaken. Do you have a linkedin? if so, can you PM me a link so I can add you.

Anyhow, so far i spent lots of hours reading the book. Im in page 163 and a lot of stuff is just a refresh since its not too long ago that I passed CCNP. However, Im not skipping anything when it comes to reading.

Also, my girl is getting mad at me now since I go home and just go straight to my computer and start reading. I dont know. I think she feels like I'm ignoring her but the truth is I want and need this. I already explained to her about this journey but I guess she didn't get it.

Be careful there buddy. Girlfriends come first. You have to explain to her better than what you have unless you want to become single very shortly
      TesseracT wrote: »
      Be careful there buddy. Girlfriends come first. You have to explain to her better than what you have unless you want to become single very shortly

Agreed, explain why you are doing it. Also make sure some days are study free and and spent with her. It's not worth losing a relationship just to study.
      Daniel Dib
      CCIE #37149
      What do you guys tell your gf? Im not really good at explaining things.
      What do you guys tell your gf? Im not really good at explaining things.

You have to relate it to something she knows... If she's a lawyer compare it to the bar exam. If she's an accountant compare it to the CPA etc etc. Fail that just mention the pay increase you'll get when you get your number icon_lol.gif
      thanks man, I told her that but I guess she still wants more attention no matter how I explain it to her.

Anyhow, do you guys use GNS3? I'm planning to save some money and just build a good computer then use GNS3 rather than spending money on a homelab. I will still use some rack rentals/tokens but the GNS3 will save me more money.
      Ive been researching and I found this site for a home lab.

what do you guys think is the best lab here aka cost effective?

Cisco CCNA CCENT CCNP CCIE Home Lab Training Kit

thanks
      overpriced, imho.

If you've got the cash to spare, buying a full kit can be a bit less of a hassle, but you can price together a decent lab yourself on ebay if you've got patience. The 3725's and 1841's, for example, are unnecessary. You can use 3640's in their place, and they are dirt cheap, you just have to do a little more work to make sure you get the requisite number and types of interfaces. I opted for 3640's with maximum DRAM/FLASH + NM-4A/S and NM-2E2W to take the place of the higher end routers, as they support an IOS image that is capable of all the technology you need to be able to practice for the lab. I don't really care about performance, just the ability to configure, so the cheapest solution is what I went for. I think I paid about $1500ish, and that was before the price of 3550's dropped like a rock, the 4 3550's were easily the bulk of my cost.
      That isn't even an entire lab. No backbone routers and only 2x 3550. You need four of them. Don't buy kits, they are always overpriced. Buy stuff yourself or go for Dynamips + 4x 3550/3560.

Packetlife did a post on buying stuff on Ebay, you might want to read it.
      Daniel Dib
      CCIE #37149
      overpriced, imho.

If you've got the cash to spare, buying a full kit can be a bit less of a hassle, but you can price together a decent lab yourself on ebay if you've got patience. The 3725's and 1841's, for example, are unnecessary. You can use 3640's in their place, and they are dirt cheap, you just have to do a little more work to make sure you get the requisite number and types of interfaces. I opted for 3640's with maximum DRAM/FLASH + NM-4A/S and NM-2E2W to take the place of the higher end routers, as they support an IOS image that is capable of all the technology you need to be able to practice for the lab. I don't really care about performance, just the ability to configure, so the cheapest solution is what I went for. I think I paid about $1500ish, and that was before the price of 3550's dropped like a rock, the 4 3550's were easily the bulk of my cost.

I really don't have patience but please bare with me here. icon_lol.gif

I want to save some money since I still have to use it for the bootcamp and the whole journey of ccie(ticket, hotel, food).

Now, Im planning to get as close to INE topology.
      How To Build A CCIE Rack | INE

I think I'm going to get as close as to what they have which is:
      CCIE Ultimate: 3x1841's + 2x3560's + 2x3550's + 2x2610XM's + 2611XM

Cisco CCNA CCENT CCNP CCIE Home Lab Training Kit

Routers:
      1 x 2610XM 128D/32F; 1 Fast Ethernet & 2 Serial Ports (R1) - $90
      1 x 2610XM 128D/32F; 1 Fast Ethernet & 2 Serial Ports (R2) - $90
      1 x 2611XM 128D/32F; 2 Fast Ethernet & 4 Serial Ports (R3) - $120
      1 x 1841 256D/64F; 2 Fast Ethernet & 2 Serial Ports (R4) with MPLS support - $300
      1 x 1841 256D/64F; 2 Fast Ethernet & 2 Serial Ports (R5) with MPLS support - $300
      1 x 1841 256D/64F; 2 Fast Ethernet & 1 Serial Port (R6) with MPLS support - $300
      1 x 2610 64D/16F; with 8 Serial Ports (NM-8A/S) IPv6 enabled (Frame Relay Switch/BB1) - $ 100
      2 x 2500 16D/16F; used as BackBone IPv6-enabled Routers (BB2 & BB3) - $50
      TOTAL - $1,350
      Switches:

2 x 3550 with 24 or 48 F/E Ports (depending on availability), 2 G/E Ports & EMI Image
      (Latest Layer 3 EMI IP Services IOS; No POE). – I have these
      2 x 3560-TS (Non POE) with 24 F/E Ports, 2 G/E Ports & EMI Image (Latest Advanced IP Services IOS; No POE). - $1200
      TOTAL - $ 1,200

Cables & Miscellaneous:

[FONT=&quot]11 x Serial Cables[/FONT]
      [FONT=&quot] (11 cables are needed now, because BB1 & F/R are the same device!) - $165
      12 x CAT5 Straight Through Ethernet Cables – I have these
      18 x CAT5 Crossover Ethernet Cables - $30
      13 x Power Cables - $26[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]13 x Mounting Brackets Pairs – where do I get this?
      1 x Console Cable – I have this[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
      Buy the connectors here - ::: www.anthonypanda.com ::: or ebay
      [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
      [FONT=&quot]TOTAL - $221[/FONT]
      [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
      [FONT=&quot]=TOTAL - $2,771 + shipping. Let’s say shipping is another $300 (is that reasonable?)[/FONT]

I think its still cheaper than $5,149.99 at Cisco CCNA CCENT CCNP CCIE Home Lab Training Kit

Am I missing anything?