Purchasing Books to assist in my goal to MCITP: EA (Need help with choices)

arvin2212arvin2212 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys, Once again, I would appreciate your input on this matter.

Now i know that the PDF's for these books are available online, however, I still prefer having a physical book rather than having to read one over the computer screen.

Since i am now trying to learn Active Directory, there are videos from Trainsignal that is quite informative, however these videos usually gives you the idea of what to do and what is to be done, however they do lack heavy topics, especially topics regarding DNS. I tried reading about DNS on technet, the architecture of it, and i found it to be rather confusing and i couldn't grasp whatever it was trying to present. Perhaps, it is because I am a freshie and require further reading to be able to grasp the concept that is presented.

Below are the books that I plan on purchasing to help me in my quest to obtain a MCITP title, and to better understand Windows Server 2008.

Below are the books:

Amazon.com: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (9780470532867): Mark Minasi, Darril Gibson, Aidan Finn, Wendy Henry, Byron Hynes: Books

and

Amazon.com: Mastering Windows Server 2008 Networking Foundations (9780470249840): Mark Minasi, Rhonda Layfield, John Paul Mueller: Books

and

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Active-Directory-Windows-Server/dp/0470249838/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311021705&sr=8-1

I've previewed the books on "google books" and I like the author's writing style and approach. The book includes some quick jokes and laughs which succeeds in keeping my attention.

Now, being from Malaysia, Amazon.com isn't available, and thus, i have to resort to a freight service to import these books for me. It'll be costly, hence why this thread exist.

I would like to ask, are these books recommended for a freshie such as myself. or should I get something else? (Your recommendations)

Thank you :)

Comments

• pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Microsoft Press have released the second edition on the 70-640 and 70-642. Have not read them myself, but I used the original edition and they were pretty good. It goes over practices to reinforce what you read about.

EDIT: Those 2 books and the labs should keep you busy for at least a few months :)
  • arvin2212arvin2212 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tried reading the first edition of the MS Press book (640) and found it to be quite overwhelming with information that made me want to put the book after a few minutes of reading icon_lol.gif Maybe its not newbie friendly?

So i thought of going through videos (TrainSignal) and perhaps a more user friendly book, as the ones above, and once i gain a better understanding of this subject, only then would i be able to read the MS Press book without much suffering icon_lol.gif

Your verdict? Should I go down this route?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is what I do too. I watch the CBT Nuggets first, then read up on TechNet and lab as I go. Always worked for me.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Thank you so much Essendon. As I have seen your previous posts, you're always a help.

Its refreshing to find that you're following the same method as I am as I have never been a good student in school and college (Last minute studying, more like skimming through study materials).

At least this way, i have found it to be more effective. My problem is that, i tend to skim through something when I don't quite understand it. Watching it in action, is something new, but effective to me :)
    No problems! A word of caution though, dont skim over anything, anything at all. You dont know what you are going to have on the exam and you obviously dont want any gotcha moments on the tests. Read TechNet, ask on here, read multiple books, lab the material till you understand how it all goes. Network Monitor is a great way of learning how things work. Say you were having issues with understanding DNS, start NetMon and see how the packets flow. Really breaks it down to the level needed to understand something that might be difficult otherwise.

Never skim over anything, I have learnt it the hard way.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Essendon wrote: »
    No problems! A word of caution though, dont skim over anything, anything at all. You dont know what you are going to have on the exam and you obviously dont want any gotcha moments on the tests. Read TechNet, ask on here, read multiple books, lab the material till you understand how it all goes. Network Monitor is a great way of learning how things work. Say you were having issues with understanding DNS, start NetMon and see how the packets flow. Really breaks it down to the level needed to understand something that might be difficult otherwise.

Never skim over anything, I have learnt it the hard way.

True. I guess this time, i'll read through everything and read more on parts that i don't understand from different sources.

I'll play with the network monitor tool as soon as i receive my server :)

Thank you again. Will be labbing, reading and viewing :D
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've not read the Gibson book (yet) but if it's half as good as his Security+ book then it is worth having.

I'd buy it based on that alone. Minasi is another huge name in the server world since back in the NT days, and CBT Nuggets are expensive but usually worth it. James Conrad was excellent in the 2003 videos and I believe he did the 2008 ones too.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I've not read the Gibson book (yet) but if it's half as good as his Security+ book then it is worth having.

I'd buy it based on that alone. Minasi is another huge name in the server world since back in the NT days, and CBT Nuggets are expensive but usually worth it. James Conrad was excellent in the 2003 videos and I believe he did the 2008 ones too.

I decided to bite the bullet with Minasi and have purchased the "Mastering Windows Server 2008 R2" & "Mastering Windows Server 2008 Networking Foundations" and they're both available locally. Ordered them online.

Have received the first book today,waiting for the second to arrive. It may be too early to say this now, but as a beginner, the Mastering windows server 2k8 R2 isn't all that hard to understand.
    Minasi sure writes excellent books. But just dont rely only on this book, ensure supplement with other reading. I read Minasi's book here and there and while the book was good, it wouldnt have been enough on its own. TechNet, my friend, is The Best thing around.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..