Passed JNCIE-SP

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
So a couple of months ago I took the JNCIE-SP when it was in its alpha state. It was a brutal test which was skinnied down quiet a bit after the alpha.

So today I just found out that I did well enough that I was awarded the cert. :D

Granted I just needed to take my JNCIP-SP to get the recert on the JNCIE-SP since I already have the JNCIE-M but this was a much cooler way to go about it. :D

Can't wait to get my new plaque :D
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    So a couple of months ago I took the JNCIE-SP when it was in its alpha state. It was a brutal test which was skinnied down quiet a bit after the alpha.

So today I just found out that I did well enough that I was awarded the cert. :D

Granted I just needed to take my JNCIP-SP to get the recert on the JNCIE-SP since I already have the JNCIE-M but this was a much cooler way to go about it. :D

Can't wait to get my new plaque :D

Congrats dude. Anything next (not that you need it)?

Oh what's your number?
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I need to pick up my JNCIP-ENT by the end of next month which will recert my JNCIE-ER into a JNCIE-ENT. That and to satisfy one of my MBOs for the year.

I really need to get studying for that exam, this SP bootcamp that I've been working on for work has been sucking up all my time lately.

-Bender
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    @Aldur.. Dude you are just insane... Congrats... But I seriously think you should move to California and have some fun with your life...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Great news, congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats ! :D
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Boooooooooooo!!! *looking for thumbs down smiley*

j/k congrats man!
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Thanks for the congrats guys :D

-Bender
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Gratz on making the test bite your shiny metal ass.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man! You truly are a Juniper champion icon_cheers.gif
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just amazing!! Congrats friend.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • mp9750mp9750 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great job Aldur, well done!

I just passed my JNCIP-M last week and i was wondering what to do on the JNCIE. The last date to take the JNCIE-M exam is end of September this year, before it retires but i would like to give myself a bit more time before i attempt the JNCIE, hence my question below.

How different or difficult is the new JNCIE-SP exam from the JNCIE-M exam - would appreciate if you have any information you can provide without breaking the NDA of course? I realize you too the Beta one but any pointer you can provide would definitely help. Is the Sybex JNCIE-M old book still usefull to prepare for the JNCIE-SP exam?

Thanks!
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Congrats on this awesome achievement Aldur!

Cheers,
    Fin
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    good lord man, do you work for Juniper? If not, I bet they would come knocking soon. I work with a guy who is the local Juniper RE who isn't a JNCIE, but he know's an insane amount of Juniper stuff.

Congrats and good luck with whatever you decide on next!
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I'm fairly certain he does. I seem to remember him saying he did.

Congrats by the way.
    Thanks for the congrats guys. :)
    mp9750 wrote: »
    How different or difficult is the new JNCIE-SP exam from the JNCIE-M exam - would appreciate if you have any information you can provide without breaking the NDA of course? I realize you too the Beta one but any pointer you can provide would definitely help. Is the Sybex JNCIE-M old book still usefull to prepare for the JNCIE-SP exam?

The old sybex books are still useful, lots of core routing knowledge in there, but unfortunately the new SP exam covers much more. It's tough to judge the difficulty since I took the alpha exam. The alpha was probably the hardest exam I've ever taken, and WAAAAYYYY to long. That being said, they had to cut some stuff from what I did. But how much or how little I'm not sure. Even at that point I'd still imagine it would be a very hard exam. Then again the old IE-M was pretty dang tough too.

I'd recommend if you can study enough, and feel ready, in time to take the JNCIE-M. If you don't then hold off for the JNCIE-SP. I'd say if you know the M stuff really well than you're most of the way there to knowing all the SP stuff. Still tough decision either way.
    good lord man, do you work for Juniper?

Been with Juniper for about 2 1/2 years now. I use to be an RE up in Canada but I took a job developing coureware for Juniper. So I'm directly involved with certification and training material. Can't say I'd rather be doing anything else. :D

-Bender
    Thanks for the congrats guys. :)

The old sybex books are still useful, lots of core routing knowledge in there, but unfortunately the new SP exam covers much more. It's tough to judge the difficulty since I took the alpha exam. The alpha was probably the hardest exam I've ever taken, and WAAAAYYYY to long. That being said, they had to cut some stuff from what I did. But how much or how little I'm not sure. Even at that point I'd still imagine it would be a very hard exam. Then again the old IE-M was pretty dang tough too.

I'd recommend if you can study enough, and feel ready, in time to take the JNCIE-M. If you don't then hold off for the JNCIE-SP. I'd say if you know the M stuff really well than you're most of the way there to knowing all the SP stuff. Still tough decision either way.

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments Aldur and taking the time to respond. Much appreciated. On top of the JNCIE Sybex book, what other material do you recommand to study the JNCIE-SP exam?

Thanks!
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So I'm directly involved with certification and training material. Can't say I'd rather be doing anything else. :D

Jealous!! I almost got a job writing and developing course for SANS icon_wink.gif
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aldur, congrats man. great achievement.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    Thanks again for all the congrats guys :)
    mp9750 wrote: »
    On top of the JNCIE Sybex book, what other material do you recommand to study the JNCIE-SP exam?

Really the only other things out there would be the courseware material that my group produces. Such as:

AJSPR (Adv. Junos Service Provider Routing)
    JCOS (Junos Class of Service)
    JMR (Junos Multicast Routing)
    JMV (Junos MPLS and VPNs)
    JSPX (Junos Service Provider Switching)

I've also been hearing rumors about a sybex like book being developed to go with the SP track. But I'm sure that's a bit off.

-Bender

Really the only other things out there would be the courseware material that my group produces. Such as:

AJSPR (Adv. Junos Service Provider Routing)
    JCOS (Junos Class of Service)
    JMR (Junos Multicast Routing)
    JMV (Junos MPLS and VPNs)
    JSPX (Junos Service Provider Switching)

I've also been hearing rumors about a sybex like book being developed to go with the SP track. But I'm sure that's a bit off.

Thanks again for your help Aldur!