I knew I had made a terrible mistake in entering the IT field... [Long Story]

Comments

• RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Currently I work 116 miles away from my wife and son, with the cost of gas it's cheaper for me to have an apt in the town I work (with a roommate) and go home on the weekends. I also go home on Monday nights as I am the Scoutmaster for his Troop. We do a lot of Scouting oriented activities. right now my resume is on 2 different desks at the same company in a town only 45 miles away. This job is a means to an end but the career is for a lifetime. I have found almost every other career is the same day in and day out while IT changes year by year and once you have the job usually the company pays to keep you current.
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Yea I agree that you have to have passion but this sounds like a bunch of bull. I have never had a pony tail (I am black and my hair just doesn't grow that way. Mind you if I had a pony tail I would be pretty happy but I digress). I have let myself go a bit but I am working on that. I am married and my wife understands that I have to do what I have to do but when we do what we have to do, we are doing it, dig me? (Translation- “No I'm not a Jonas/Brother, I'm a grown up/No I'm not a virgin/I use my kahunas cajones).

Socially I don't have many friends but that's by choice. I would agree with the clothing thing but that's what Men's warehouse is for (which reminds me I need to buy a suit). I think you just need to relax a little and go have some fun. I am probably going to start going to the chess club again. I am thinking of taking up Muay Thai and BJJ at a local shop around here. Go out these and do something (and/or someone).

<threadjack>

How do you enjoy the dvds? I have them but I need to get a few things before I get started, mainly some freeweigts and a pullup bar. My apartment is pretty small but we are moving into a house at the end of next month so I might have to start the dvd's without having much room or equipment.

</threadjack>
    lmbo......you are a fool. I don't have a ponytail but I have freeform dreads (and people here on base hate it because I'm the epitome of everything that was said couldn't be successful i.e. think outside the box, don't follow the "corporate" look *but I'm the best dressed person here; they just hate the fact that I have dreads*, choose to let work speak for him, .etc.). I sacrificed more than most to get into this career field and that leap of faith paid off.

True enough, I spend a lot of my time studying but I have a hot wife that understands!!! icon_thumright.gif
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sounds like you are a bit lazy and jealous.
    That sure is the taste I got from reading the OP. It actually reminds me of a few colleagues I had in my early career and who just couldn't deal with the fact I was more competent because I put in that extra mile. Instead of watching Babylon 5 I would vnc into the company's network and solve the problem. I was amazed some people would actually hold that against me the next day. One of my coworkers actually complained about it to my manager one day. I did lack the people-skills back then to deal with people like that, to me they were just incompetent and spoiled in their position as one-eyed king, while I had both eyes and ears wide open. Going the extra mile made others look bad/incompetent, especially those in their 40's and up couldn't stand it. I'm closing in on that age myself now and I still feel sorry for them. Sorry they didn't appreciate someone with passion for the job - that's really what it's all about.
    It was then I knew I could never win. The jig was up. Checkmated. The IT illusion shattered.
    This part, the way you wrote it, just cracked me up. Although I don't agree with the contents, I think you did an outstanding job writing that post. Thanks for sharing your frustration, let it be a lesson for others who enter the IT field thinking it's easy money instead of hard work.
    Back then the pitch was, "Get your MCSE and you are guaranteed to make at least $40/hour!" I gulped as I charged $8000 on my credit card for MCSE night classes and went all-in.
    My employer offered me to pay for those MOC classes (I remember the Proxy 2.0 and IIS, got them too) but instead of accepting I told them to pay me 10% of the cost of the courses so I could buy books and practice exams. I.o.w. I knew from the start I had to study study study and fortunately that would never end.

Oh and IT doesn't make people overweight, too much (of the wrong) food does.
  • newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    OP, have you ever considered writing for a living? cos you're the Jabba of storytelling :D
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Oh and IT doesn't make people overweight, too much (of the wrong) food does.

If Cheetos and Mountain Dew are wrong I don't wanna be right!
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I look at this as a funny yet somewhat true joke-post.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A lot of people letting themselves get trolled here. I chucked at the Jabba descriptions though. Most of the guys I work with are skinny. :shrug:
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How do you enjoy the dvds? I have them but I need to get a few things before I get started, mainly some freeweigts and a pullup bar. My apartment is pretty small but we are moving into a house at the end of next month so I might have to start the dvd's without having much room or equipment.

I ripped them to .avi, so I can use them on a netbook. I do 3-4 workouts each week and run the other 2-3 days. Between the 2, I am getting awesome results. I am using a couple of sets of dumbells and the bands - these work reallllllly well for arms!
    I also started using the Smart for Life eating program, which helps a lot.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    meh...I can't tell if this is true or a joke, but what I got out of that story was that you got into IT for the money. Jabba got into IT because he enjoys doing it, and as a result, he is more successful.
  • Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Great story my friend.

I know the FUPA as the BIF around here.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I guess I will jump in on post some stuff!

Sorry main post about your luck / observations icon_sad.gif I'm no Jabba and I have a wife that loves to play video games, read comics, watch anime, read books, etc and is a huge nerd but her looks are defiantly not jabba like that's for sure icon_thumright.gif

Time management is key my friend. Obviously some people need to spend a lot more time on their studies before they can get the knowledge were as others can understand things very quickly.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So basically you really hate fat people. You really could have saved us the tl;dr version.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Funny.

Stereotyping is fun
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A lot of people letting themselves get trolled here. I chucked at the Jabba descriptions though. Most of the guys I work with are skinny. :shrug:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9rXBSc9OoGAZMtKhPI1cS595ajYjeXH_BhntEvOW4b9ggfl3_
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    Pretty sure this is a troll or at very least a summarization! If Jaba had truly been a real person as described he would have spent all night leading a raid or leveling an alt in WOW NOT watching Babylon 5. :D
    Turgon wrote: »
    They are perceived as having the wrong image for the companies they work for and being slowly marginalised before being laid off never to return. That look is unemployable in this industry.

One reason why bariatric surgery is going to happen 6 months before finishing my grad degree in IA... icon_redface.gif
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you are either insanely jealous or just a message board troll trying to get a jab in at us "geeks". Many of us are quite successful and do not fit the majority of your criteria for people who are "good in IT".

Maybe you are holding on to a sense of inadequacy that you felt when you were in the presence of someone so on their game, from a technology and continual learning standpoint. So you have to attack his obesity and sexual prowess to build yourself up. That's just weak.

What you know, how much you know... is only a fraction of what it takes to be successful and have a fulfilling career.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can clearly remember the day I knew I had made a terrible mistake in entering the IT field...

I was one of those people who hopped on the IT bandwagon back in 1997. Back then the pitch was, "Get your MCSE and you are guaranteed to make at least $40/hour!" I gulped as I charged $8000 on my credit card for MCSE night classes and went all-in. I pretty much spent almost every waking hour the next few years either working or studying. I got my MCSE and a job doing support for Microsoft [IIS 4.0, Proxy Server 2.0 (Remember that?)]. I kept studying, and took a few more MS exams for the MCSE+Internet. I didn't know much about PC Hardware so I built my first computer and got my A+. Back in 1998 a couple of Cisco reps gave a speech at our training facility. They made it seem like if you got your CCNA the next question you had to answer was, "What color would you like your Porsche to be?" I bought a used Cisco 2501 router for $600 [I'd like to have that one back], studied, and passed my CCNA back in 1999. I kept going and passed the CCDA. I started studying for the Routing exam when I had this Moment of Clarity:

"What the hell am I doing?"

The past couple of years were a blur. I felt like crap. I was out of shape - I didn't have time for exercise. My love life had diminished to hooking up with this fat girl I knew from time to time - and that's when I had the energy. I had bounced around a couple of phone support jobs and disliked all of them. My co-workers were 99% beta males and 1% unattractive females. I had spent all this time and money and I hadn't gone anywhere.

By this time I was back at Microsoft doing Exchange 5.5 support as an "Orange Badge". Having an Orange Badge meant you were a temp and you were treated as if you had incurable leprosy by the "Blue Badge" salaried techs.

There was this one "Uber-Geek" who was hired in the same wave as a bunch of us. He wasn't just fat - he was Jabba the Hut fat. He had this condition that years later would have its own acronym.

FUPA = Fat Upper Pubic Area

I was mesmerized by the way the area from his waist to his crotch bowed out in a rounded, convex, shape. Back in 2001, I didn't think such a thing was possible [Was he shoving something down his pants?]. Sadly, this is no longer such an oddity.

Jabba was a pretty nice guy, but it seemed inconceivable he would ever enjoy sexual contact with a woman - unless cash was involved. If he ever did, he would have to be on his back because if he was ever on top there might be a manslaughter charge in his future.

Jabba didn't have any experience with Microsoft server products, and I don't think he ever did support. But he took to everything like an alcoholic takes to malt liquor. His enthusiasm for computers was boundless. He was happy to be at his desk all day. He didn't seem to feel any pressure even though our calls were always stressed users with major e-mail disasters. He thrived while I withered.

One day we had this early morning meeting. Jabba came in and said this which forever shook my world:

"Man, I was up all night long studying Exchange. I realized that if I went to sleep I wouldn't be able to wake up so I started watching old episodes of Babylon 5 until it was time to go to work."

It was then I knew I could never win. The jig was up. Checkmated. The IT illusion shattered.

It didn't matter how much time and effort I spent studying. I could never beat the Jabbas of this world. While I liked computers, Jabbas of the world LOVED computers and they would forever be the love of their lives. I then realized that the treadmill of studying and certification was endless - that in order to be good in this field you have to spend as much time studying as a doctor does.

That to be really good in IT...

You have to not care about exercise and let your body go – that early onset Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Morbid Obesity aren’t health concerns – they are badges of honor in the IT world.

You have to give up dreams of a satisfying love life.

You have to spend all your time studying, reading, and thinking about IT.

You have to be prepared that you will have a pony tail someday.

You have to have no hobbies or other interests.

You have to realize that time spent not looking at a glowing rectangle is time wasted.

You have to avoid eye contact with others and that social etiquette is for "civilians".

You have to start wearing polo shirts with some random tech company logo on the front - and a white T-shirt underneath to complete the "asexual geek" look.

You have to slump your shoulders in order to get the telltale "mighty humpback" and look like the life has been beaten out of you.

You have to have a cell phone attached to your belt buckle and a bluetooth ear piece in case anyone has to know what TCP Port 563 does at a moment's notice.

You have to realize that telling a woman, "I work in IT" kills sexual attraction faster than saying, "I have herpes".

You have to worship at the altar of IT by putting your genitals in a jar, much like a eunuch, monk, or priest - and instead of chasing girls, dedicate your life to more useful pursuits like "The 3 Phases of PPP Session Establishment".

I was lucky to escape the "Geek Matrix" by going down a wormhole and doing IT work for the Military overseas, but that is another story...

I personally think you are right in saying IT demands a lot of studying; due to the ever changing technologies. But my in-law works in canada for an investment bank, and you really don't want to know the kind of hours he put in. To be a very sucessful person, you need to have - luck, opportunities, need to be smart/intelligent and lotta hard work.

On the flip side, you are funny and a very good writer. Have considered freelance writing for blogs and other stuff relating to entertainment.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I can clearly remember the day I knew I had made a terrible mistake in entering the IT field...

I was one of those people who hopped on the IT bandwagon back in 1997. Back then the pitch was, "Get your MCSE and you are guaranteed to make at least $40/hour!" I gulped as I charged $8000 on my credit card for MCSE night classes and went all-in. I pretty much spent almost every waking hour the next few years either working or studying. I got my MCSE and a job doing support for Microsoft [IIS 4.0, Proxy Server 2.0 (Remember that?)]. I kept studying, and took a few more MS exams for the MCSE+Internet. I didn't know much about PC Hardware so I built my first computer and got my A+. Back in 1998 a couple of Cisco reps gave a speech at our training facility. They made it seem like if you got your CCNA the next question you had to answer was, "What color would you like your Porsche to be?" I bought a used Cisco 2501 router for $600 [I'd like to have that one back], studied, and passed my CCNA back in 1999. I kept going and passed the CCDA. I started studying for the Routing exam when I had this Moment of Clarity:

"What the hell am I doing?"

The past couple of years were a blur. I felt like crap. I was out of shape - I didn't have time for exercise. My love life had diminished to hooking up with this fat girl I knew from time to time - and that's when I had the energy. I had bounced around a couple of phone support jobs and disliked all of them. My co-workers were 99% beta males and 1% unattractive females. I had spent all this time and money and I hadn't gone anywhere.

By this time I was back at Microsoft doing Exchange 5.5 support as an "Orange Badge". Having an Orange Badge meant you were a temp and you were treated as if you had incurable leprosy by the "Blue Badge" salaried techs.

There was this one "Uber-Geek" who was hired in the same wave as a bunch of us. He wasn't just fat - he was Jabba the Hut fat. He had this condition that years later would have its own acronym.

FUPA = Fat Upper Pubic Area

I was mesmerized by the way the area from his waist to his crotch bowed out in a rounded, convex, shape. Back in 2001, I didn't think such a thing was possible [Was he shoving something down his pants?]. Sadly, this is no longer such an oddity.

Jabba was a pretty nice guy, but it seemed inconceivable he would ever enjoy sexual contact with a woman - unless cash was involved. If he ever did, he would have to be on his back because if he was ever on top there might be a manslaughter charge in his future.

Jabba didn't have any experience with Microsoft server products, and I don't think he ever did support. But he took to everything like an alcoholic takes to malt liquor. His enthusiasm for computers was boundless. He was happy to be at his desk all day. He didn't seem to feel any pressure even though our calls were always stressed users with major e-mail disasters. He thrived while I withered.

One day we had this early morning meeting. Jabba came in and said this which forever shook my world:

"Man, I was up all night long studying Exchange. I realized that if I went to sleep I wouldn't be able to wake up so I started watching old episodes of Babylon 5 until it was time to go to work."

It didn't matter how much time and effort I spent studying. I could never beat the Jabbas of this world. While I liked computers, Jabbas of the world LOVED computers and they would forever be the love of their lives. I then realized that the treadmill of studying and certification was endless - that in order to be good in this field you have to spend as much time studying as a doctor does.

That to be really good in IT...

You have to not care about exercise and let your body go – that early onset Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Morbid Obesity aren’t health concerns – they are badges of honor in the IT world.

You have to give up dreams of a satisfying love life.

You have to spend all your time studying, reading, and thinking about IT.

You have to be prepared that you will have a pony tail someday.

You have to have no hobbies or other interests.

You have to realize that time spent not looking at a glowing rectangle is time wasted.

You have to avoid eye contact with others and that social etiquette is for "civilians".

You have to start wearing polo shirts with some random tech company logo on the front - and a white T-shirt underneath to complete the "asexual geek" look.

You have to slump your shoulders in order to get the telltale "mighty humpback" and look like the life has been beaten out of you.

You have to have a cell phone attached to your belt buckle and a bluetooth ear piece in case anyone has to know what TCP Port 563 does at a moment's notice.

You have to realize that telling a woman, "I work in IT" kills sexual attraction faster than saying, "I have herpes".

You have to worship at the altar of IT by putting your genitals in a jar, much like a eunuch, monk, or priest - and instead of chasing girls, dedicate your life to more useful pursuits like "The 3 Phases of PPP Session Establishment".

I was lucky to escape the "Geek Matrix" by going down a wormhole and doing IT work for the Military overseas, but that is another story...
    Its sad to see that you didnt go anywhere if you were in IT since 97. SOunds like youre just lazy thats why you didnt get CCIE or CISSP or MS architect.

Its true that you have to love IT to become better. It also applies to everything that you do so that you can become the best.

Its your fault that you dont exercise. You control your time. You are where you want to be. I make sure I go to BJJ and MMA 3x a week and lift weights on the weekends to be fit.

Its your fault that you cant pick up girls. I dont know about you but I have a Hot girlfriend. Geez you cant blame that to IT if you dont have game.

No, you dont have to spent all your time studying. You need to balance it out and control it in your life.

Ponytail doesnt say anything about a person.

I have a lot of hobbies: from MMA and BJJ to fixing up cars and traveling. Again, you are blaming IT but at the end, you control your life.

Avoid eye contact with others? Dude, you have no self confidence. You need to go to walmart and buy some new kahones!

Again, you control what you have to wear. YOu have a choice.

They are actually surprise if I tell them what I do and where I work. They are always amaze when I tell them I work for IT. You need to work on your people skills or picking up girls.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
  • Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jabba's...was this always a term for large IT guys? I missed the boat on this one. It's damn funny.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Pretty funny

I can relate to working with some pretty nerdy guys with no social skills when I was in a call center for my first IT job and some in desk side support. When I moved on to the network side of things the team got smaller and everyone is pretty normal and a little older then me,we all like to drink bourbon after work and talk about golf,football or whatever is currently on TV. Like EVERYONE has said if you don't like your job (or the people there) just find the door :D

But anyways...cheers to a funny post
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why do I get this feeling that the OP is just trying out his creative writing skills?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    Why do I get this feeling that the OP is just trying out his creative writing skills?

Because he's only made three posts :) It may be a regular with a pseudonym. There are a lot of fat people working office jobs. Sedentary professional life and bad diet. Eat decent food, get out of the house, do something else when you get home after work, put the games down and interact with people. Solves a lot of issues.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Sadly I can relate. Since getting into this field my weight has sky rocketed by 60lbs in 2 years. The long shifts and unusual work schedule has taken its toll. I don't have the energy to play with my kids and my wife looks at me funny. In fact, everything in my life right now is falling apart because I've been chasing this stupid dream career. I mean EVERYTHING. While others thrive, I excel and get left behind. I'm sick of it and wish I had chosen a different career.

But you know what? Tomorrow I'll get up and go back to studying because at this point, it's all I've got. Even my own family makes plans without me. It's kind of like dieing, slowly while the world watches. Welcome to IT.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phantasm wrote: »
    Sadly I can relate. Since getting into this field my weight has sky rocketed by 60lbs in 2 years. The long shifts and unusual work schedule has taken its toll. I don't have the energy to play with my kids and my wife looks at me funny. In fact, everything in my life right now is falling apart because I've been chasing this stupid dream career. I mean EVERYTHING. While others thrive, I excel and get left behind. I'm sick of it and wish I had chosen a different career.

But you know what? Tomorrow I'll get up and go back to studying because at this point, it's all I've got. Even my own family makes plans without me. It's kind of like dieing, slowly while the world watches. Welcome to IT.

Dude, get your priorities straight. When your wife leaves you and your kids resent you in the future for being obsessed (notice I didn't say, dedicated) with work above all else in life, are you going to blame that on "the job" too?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Wait, so I shouldn't have got into IT for the chicks?
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

It doesn't have to be that way. There is a middle ground for everything. I spent the last 4 years getting my AAS and certs done, as I was switching careers. I could have done the certs faster, but I made time for my family, who are number 1. Without family, everything else just sucks. If I were you, I'd lock up the books, take some time off work and take your family on a vacation.
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Wait, so I shouldn't have got into IT for the chicks?

Chicks dig VLSM.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    Because he's only made three posts :) It may be a regular with a pseudonym. There are a lot of fat people working office jobs. Sedentary professional life and bad diet. Eat decent food, get out of the house, do something else when you get home after work, put the games down and interact with people. Solves a lot of issues.

There is truth to this.

I started eating vegitables and walking 3-4 times a week for 2-3 miles at a time and have dropped 2 waist sizes. I was chiming in at a robust 39 inch waist and I am down to a 37 inch waist.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Lots of people fall into this trap. Put a stop to it asap. Talk to your employer and adjust your hours to help you at home, or work from home or find a job that is more family friendly. If things go well at home the career will follow. If you blitz the career you often find yourself living alone. Might be time to sit down with your wife and listen to what she has to say.