Meyers or Lammle?

petemn79petemn79 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am struggling between which book to purchase for my study. I used the Meyers book for my A+ and liked it, but I heard good things regarding the Lammle book, except it may be too technical or too many errors on the practice exams.

I went to a book store and they only had the lammle on display and it seemed alright to me, but wish I could have compared the two.

What have others used and what did you like or dislike?

I am guessing I cannot go wrong with either book, but my hands-on network experience is limited and want to pass the exam with 1 try.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    I believe both of the books are good,just try to study hard you will get it.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used Mike Meyers for both A+ and Network+. (The All-In-One guides...not the passports). Mind you, my employer paid for them, but I used them and I already knew most of what was required to pass. But Meyers wrote in a very easy-to-follow style and it was more than enough to get me to pass both A+ and Network plus within a couple of weeks of sitting for them.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am using Lammle's book atm, I take the test on August 3rd, Ill let you know after the test is done. I have read though that lammles book can be too indepth for the test but thats not a bad thing in my book.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    You can pass with just Lammle, that's what I did. It is rather lengthy, but it's like you said, that's not a bad thing in this case.
  • GrahamUK33GrahamUK33 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you should stick to what you are comfortable with, you said you liked the Meyers A+.

I have just bought the Meyers Network+ (Third Edition) which looks nicely layed out. icon_study.gif
  • petemn79petemn79 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses. I went to a book store and looked at both of the books and both look good to me. I like the idea that Lammle's book has flash cards that can be downloaded, but I also like how Meyer's book is easy to read and follow. I also read that Lammle does a better job with subnetting, which always gave me issues.

My last real good networking experience was 5 years ago in college with the CCNA courses and things may come back to me once I start reading.

I don't think I can go wrong with either book, but for some reason I am having troubles deciding. On Amazon both books have a rating of 4.5 stars.
  • NetAdmin84NetAdmin84 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lammle in my experience is a really good author, also recommend just using the forums here for help....basically for the Net+ you just really need to have down the OSI model, your port numbers, a few basic protocols, and REAL basic security. Good luck in your studies!
    Currently reading:

Cisco Press: CCNA Offical Exam Certification Library - Wendell Odom
    Sybex: CCNA Study Guide - Todd Lammle
    ExamCram: CCNA - Michael Valentine

Currently pursuing:

CCNA - CWNA - MCTS
  • petemn79petemn79 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GrahamUK33 wrote: »
    I think you should stick to what you are comfortable with, you said you liked the Meyers A+.

I have just bought the Meyers Network+ (Third Edition) which looks nicely layed out. icon_study.gif

I ordered the Meyers book today. Like you said go with what I am comfortable and what worked before.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    petemn79 wrote: »
    I ordered the Meyers book today. Like you said go with what I am comfortable and what worked before.

I'd get them both to be honest. I read Meyers book, read Lammles book and watched the CBT nuggets.

Meyers book - Easy to read, but it felt like a lot of the topics weren't really explored enough.

Lammles book - Very indepth, lots of info. After I read Meyers book and went to this one, I noticed a huge difference after chapter 2.

CBT Nuggets - Expensive. I will use CBT nuggets for every cert I go for because of how well they are done. It's a wonderful thing to be able to watch those videos, and then jump into the books.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Both books are good but Meyers tends to be the ultimate end all and be all for A+ and Network+ from what I can tell. I passed with just reading the Meyer's book, but to each their own I guess.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come