Options

So who is graduating WGU soon?

themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
Just curious who is planning on being done with WGU by the end of the year? Who is all going to be going to Atlanta on February 11th? Going to have to have a TE meet up!
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I'm not attending WGU but I would probably be game for a meetup in Atlanta!
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    I'm about thirty five pages into my capstone, so I'm a couple of weeks away from being done. No way I'm going to any sort of ceremony though. I'm perfectly happy to have my degree mailed to me and save a couple thousand miles on my car.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My optimistic hope if to graduate by the end of 2012. Worse case scenario is Spring of 2013.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    My optimistic hope if to graduate by the end of 2012. Worse case scenario is Spring of 2013.

same here i have the 5 ms classes and tech/cap left, it all depends on how well i can do on the ms classes
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've never been to Atlanta...I've driven through GA on I-95 to get to and from Florida, but we could not deviate our path to drive to Atlanta.....lol.

Next week is the start of a new term. I'm enrolling in every class I have left!

Go hard or go home, I say!! LOL...

Hope to see some of you guys in Atlanta. I did say yes to finishing by the end of year, but I'm giving myself to end of January (when it has to be done anyway). I'm already prepping for graduate schools.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If all goes according to plan i'm shooting for August/September of next year. After finishing TPV1 i'm just over where I needed to be for the term to make that happen. Provided life doesn't throw me a curveball i'll be just fine.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I haven't voted since I'm on the fence about this. Lately, I realized I wasn't being as committed as I thought I would be, but maybe that's because I am not used to having a full-time job and online school at the same time since it's overwhelmingly new for me. I just started my internship in June. I hope they don't need me for permanent full-time position soon when I'm done in the end of August. I rather give myself plenty of time to do the papers than trying to kill myself, meeting the deadlines by Christmas time.
  • Options
    I haven't voted since I'm on the fence about this. Lately, I realized I wasn't being as committed as I thought I would be, but maybe that's because I am not used to having a full-time job and online school at the same time since it's overwhelmingly new for me. I just started my internship in June. I hope they don't need me for permanent full-time position soon when I'm done in the end of August. I rather give myself plenty of time to do the papers than trying to kill myself, meeting the deadlines by Christmas time.

That's a crock of ----. You DO have time. I work much more hours than you do, and I can still do an average of 30 CUs while maintaining 100% SAP.

However, only you can determine that, though. This term I gotta do mornings AND evenings if I'm gonna bust out 37 CUs to graduate. You gotta learn how to set goals and stick to them. No one but you is going to push you. Take it from someone who was your age and is from Jersey though...start setting your priorities NOW. It will only get harder later. Trust me on that.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    That's a crock of ----. You DO have time. I work much more hours than you do, and I can still do an average of 30 CUs while maintaining 100% SAP.

However, only you can determine that, though. This term I gotta do mornings AND evenings if I'm gonna bust out 37 CUs to graduate. You gotta learn how to set goals and stick to them. No one but you is going to push you. Take it from someone who was your age and is from Jersey though...start setting your priorities NOW. It will only get harder later. Trust me on that.

I dunno how you guys did it, but you guys are incredible. Maybe because of the mistakes you made in the past motivates you to do better. I'm not being myself lately ever since I started my job. They just "killed" my dream, and the things I do there is nowhere close to sys/net admin stuff or the degree program I am in. I work solely with a prorietary middleware product that I have no experience dealing with before. The stuff also requires a strong background in UNIX and Perl scripting. This has gotten me so depressed at some points that I decided to procrastinate some of the stuff. I'm slowly working on getting my CCNA, but I'm afraid I would see no value in it if I got the permanent position. Every day after work when I arrive home, I couldn't stand to think that my evening would fly by quickly, and I have to go back to reality. I guess it's time for me to call my mentor and find a way for me to stick with my goals. She was away for a week due to graduation. Thanks for being honest, erpadmin. I can see why you're offended by my comment.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I dunno how you guys did it, but you guys are incredible. Maybe because of the mistakes you made in the past motivates you to do better. I'm not being myself lately ever since I started my job. They just "killed" my dream, and the things I do there is nowhere close to sys/net admin stuff or the degree program I am in. I work solely with a prorietary middleware product that I have no experience dealing with before. The stuff also requires a strong background in UNIX and Perl scripting. This has gotten me so depressed at some points that I decided to procrastinate some of the stuff. I'm slowly working on getting my CCNA, but I'm afraid I would see no value in it if I got the permanent position. Every day after work when I arrive home, I couldn't stand to think that my evening would fly by quickly, and I have to go back to reality. I guess it's time for me to call my mentor and find a way for me to stick with my goals. She was away for a week due to graduation. Thanks for being honest, erpadmin. I can see why you're offended by my comment.

I was in a similar boat to you going on month 2 of my coursework. Know what I did? Changed jobs. The school stuff will work itself out obviously but hating your job every single day isn't going to go away until you do something about it. Now changing jobs in the middle of doing this kind of thing doesn't make it any easier. Heck I started, got a job, hated it, changed jobs to one that demands way more of me, and still managed to knock out 35 CU this term. Just kick yourself in the butt and get it done.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I was in a similar boat to you going on month 2 of my coursework. Know what I did? Changed jobs. The school stuff will work itself out obviously but hating your job every single day isn't going to go away until you do something about it. Now changing jobs in the middle of doing this kind of thing doesn't make it any easier. Heck I started, got a job, hated it, changed jobs to one that demands way more of me, and still managed to knock out 35 CU this term. Just kick yourself in the butt and get it done.

i know the feeling im near the end and i can feel my self starting to loose steam

i had to move last week and it tripled my commute time and the wife had surgery last friday so im having to deal witht he kids as well

i need to get 70-642 done by the last day of august to keep on track for graduation in feb.

thats 1 ms class every 4 weeks and tech/cap in 1 mth

sadly i have no budget for any thing extra so ill only have labsim and what ever i can find on books 24/7 and ms technet
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I should be graduating in november hopefully. I got 642, 646 to take and capstone + technical writing. I think i'm going to write about bitcoin mining lol because I've been doing it recently and built a rig specifically for that. Plus I can get all into key exchange concept for virtual currency and hwo it uses SHA to encrypt blocks blah blah blah.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I should finish by the end of the year, but I doubt I'll be headed to any ceremonies. Best case scenario in that regard is that I can tie a Salt Lake City visit to a work trip.

About 4 classes left on my end. Dragging a bit as I was sick for a couple weeks and household stuff has put schoolwork almost to the back burner.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I should be done in time for February graduation if I can get my motivation back. I doubt I will go to Atlanta though since I am broke from paying for school.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm about done with my capstone (finally) and will be turning it in sometime this week. I'm on the fence about going to Atlanta though since it'll depend upon where/ if I'm working.
    Motivation has been at an all-time low to get this done for me lately and I'll just be glad to finally finish.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I was thinking of starting another thread, but it's kind of related to this one.

I went to an information session yesterday for one of the schools that are on my short list. They pulled out all the big guns (director of financial aid, chairperson of business department, etc...). The director made it clear that student loans for the program would cover to tuition...lol.

In any event, the big take away (one of a couple, actually) that I got was if I wanted to start in the spring of 2012, I'd have to apply by mid-November. My undergraduate degree does not have to be conferred (university-speak for being a granted a degree) when I apply, but acceptance will be conditional upon having my degree conferred from the institution (I have to be a graduate from WGU prior to starting).

This is kind of good and bad. While I would like to start graduate school as soon as possible, because I would start in January, I would have to be done with WGU by December. The other bad thing is that they are switching to a cohort program. (cohort: I will see the same faces in every class I am in with the exception of elective classes. In some programs, my cohort group would have to vote on electives...[f--- that!: for the required classes, that's not a bad deal though...])

Another major take away is that if this school would accept my application prior to degree conferment, that means other schools would as well. I was envisioning starting my program in the summer or something....but starting the beginning of 2012 would mean I'm done by the end of 2014.

Is anyone else who IS graduating WGU at the end of the year considering starting graduate school in the spring (or would want to)? If I were to go through with this, this would mean that I could only spend a weekend in Atlanta and fly in and out. Not sure if I would have class the Monday after commencement, but if the finances don't make sense, then I'd have to forgo commencement.

In the meantime, I will be getting my application ready for this school. I should have everything filled out by end of October. GMATs....that's another story...lol.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'm thinking of a masters. Where you looking at? I'm tempted by the one you sent me in NJ (Stevens?) but at $30k+ its a tough cookie to chew. Might try the IT MBA from WGU. Not sure yet.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    I'm thinking of a masters. Where you looking at? I'm tempted by the one you sent me in NJ (Stevens?) but at $30k+ its a tough cookie to chew. Might try the IT MBA from WGU. Not sure yet.

I have narrowed my list to 4 choices in Jersey (all in the same county and both in the same town) plus at least one Online one. All of them are AACSB-accredited and all have an MBA/IT component. Stevens is a better engineering school than business and it has yet to be AACSB-accredited, as opposed to NJIT which is much cheaper, and is AACSB-accredited. If I remember correctly though, they do offer some nice technical Masters degrees online, but I'm not interested in any of their offerings.

I'll say this though, the location of Stevens makes it very hot. (In all senses of the word....) :D

Hoboken is a very trendy place...on top of it being across the river from Manhattan.
  • Options
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I've been eyeing up Florida Tech myself. I think it is 485 dollars per credit hour. They also offer mini master's that are credited towards your overall master's.

Edit: Actually it looks like it may be 705 dollars for MS and 800 for MBA...Yikes!
    WGU grad