Carry on MCSE or **** for MCITP:EA

Brownie1985Brownie1985 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys

Whats everyone thoughts on continuing with an MCSE vs MCITP? Once I have sorted out getting my CCNA I want to get back onto Microsoft.

I am at a crossroads and not sure where to go. I was planning to take the Windows 7 MCTS exam as the client to match up with the designing/implemenation stuff I have been doing. Then its four exams either way for MCSE or MCITP? And with my speed of taking exams I am thinking is the MCSE worth it now, as I would have to upgrade aswell? I also want the 2008 net infra exam for whenever we would move to ipv6. So is the MCSE worth doing? Is there any backwards stuff in 2008 what would be in 2003?

Thanks
Next Targets:
70-294
CCENT

Comments

• odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What MS exams have you taken? If none, then go the 2008 route. If you have some of the exams already done, like MCSA then it might be worth to continue the track.

MCSE is a 7 exam track, not sure about the MCITP. Even if you get MSCE, then yes you will have to upgrade to the 2008 if you want.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1. Becareful of your use of the term "****" as it has a negative conotation on this forum. I know what you mean, though.

2. Finish your MCSE! Are you crazy? You are 3 eams in and 2 of those are the hardest two exams! For a client exam I would do the Win 7 exam which can then be used in the Server 2008 MCITP:EA as well.
  • SamLea27SamLea27 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are several routes within the MCITP, be it Enterprise Admin or Database Developer, etc. Here is a good squidoo blog you may want to view that explains a lot of it MCITP Careers, Trends & Training
    You can get the MCSE and then upgrade it, it has different requirements than if you dont already have a certification
  • rjs_essexrjs_essex Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You only need to complete a few exams to get a fair few qualifications under your belt...

MCTS: Windows 7 Configuration
    70-680 - You are planning on doing this anyway, definately take this exam.

MCSA
    70-299 - Take this exam and with the above and the ones you already have you get the MCSA

MCSE
    70-294 + Either 70-294 OR 70-298 and with the other exams above you have completed the MCSE

MCITP: Server Administrator and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    70-649 + 70-646 + 70-647 + the MCTS above and you have the MCITP: SA and MCITP: EA

I make that 4 exams for MCSA + MCSE and another 3 exams for the 2 MCITP.

I don't know if that helps but you could get a lot on the résumé with that.

Richard
    WIP: 70-417, Security+, Project+, CCNA
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Assuming you have only the 290, 291, and 293 which you listed, I'd say finish it.

You will need a client exam, 70-294, and a design exam, and possibly another elective (Security+ would be a good one). to get that pristine sheet of paper (I just framed mine last night). If you do the 70-680 for your client then you can apply it to your MCSE and the MCITP upgrade.

MCSE: 294, design, elective (This will also get you the MCSA which it appears you are lacking)
    MCITP SA/EA: 70-646, 70-647, and 70-649
    Needed for both: 70-680
    Total tests: 7 (and the elective can be an easier CompTIA test)

If you choose to leave the MCSE and just do the MCITP SA/EA then you will need the 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-646, 70-647, 70-680
    Total tests: 6

Sources:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab4
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Brownie1985Brownie1985 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whow thanks for all the replies that is some great advise there. No offence meant with the **** term.

Didn't actually know I was that close to an mcsa, thats great info as that's upgradable. Was affriad of getting to a point and having a few mcps and not being able to upgrade them. But that has made me feel better about keeping going.

Thank you all for your time in replying.
    Next Targets:
    70-294
    CCENT
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Didn't actually know I was that close to an mcsa

Yep, you just need a client (270 XP or 680 Win7) and an elective. If you take the 680 then it applies to both the MCSE and MCITP. If you take them both then that will take care of your elective too. But I'd recommend Security+ for the elective. Lots of good information and it is by far easier than a MS exam.
    Decide what to be and go be it.