CompTIA A+ SMEs needed!

rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
Ladies and Gentlemen I present you with another SME email.
CompTIA wrote:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CompTIAlogo2.png[/FONT] spacer-white.gif [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PC Repair/Troubleshooting Experts needed for New A+ Exam Workshop

CompTIA is looking for IT professionals who have extensive experience in the field of PC troubleshooting, repair and support to be involved in updating our CompTIA A+ certification exam.

During this "Job Task Analysis" exam development workshop, the first of three workshops, subject matter experts (SMEs) will help determine the exam's target audience, outline main competencies and objectives to be covered in the test, and weight different topics.

SMEs will validate the skills and knowledge required to be a successful PC technician. IT professionals with a strong technical background, at least two years current experience in troubleshooting Microsoft Windows operating systems and PC hardware, including motherboard components, and who are CompTIA A+ certified are preferred. Android and Apple iOS operating system experience will also be helpful. Assistance from subject matter experts is crucial to providing an industry relevant exam.

SMEs receive a $300 a day stipend for the 5-day workshop, as well as provided meals during the 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. working days. Travel and lodging expenses are the responsibility of each subject matter expert (although CompTIA has recommendations for nearby accommodations with reasonable rates). Recognition for SMEs includes a listing on the CompTIA website pending full participation in the program. And, you'll have the personal satisfaction of knowing that you are helping others who come behind you.

When: August 15-19, 2011
Where: CompTIA Headquarters, Downers Grove, IL. Downers Grove is a western suburb of Chicago accessible by O'Hare and Midway airports.

Only professionals currently working in the PC repair and support field should apply. Although CompTIA appreciates interest from the training community, applications from trainers, authors, or individuals who may profit or materially benefit from knowledge of the CompTIA A+ credential content are not eligible to participate. If you have questions about the application process, email examdev@comptia.org.

SME_button.gif

[/FONT] spacer-white.gifspacer-white.gif [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
© 2011 CompTIA Properties, LLC, under license to CompTIA Member Services, LLC.
All Rights Reserved.
CompTIA Worldwide Headquarters
CompTIA Member Services, LLC, 3500 Lacey Road, Suite 100, Downers Grove, IL 60515-5439
If you no longer wish to receive emails from CompTIA, click here.
[/FONT] spacer-white.gif

Enjoy!

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll definitely be trying for this... icon_wink.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would love to do one of these, I wish they gave more notice though. Especially during the summer months getting a whole week off is tough unless you have it marked back in February or March.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • w0rdw0rd Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ..300 a day will cover that...

Barely. Depending where you are in the US, you may even run in the negative. That doesn't even account for the missed time at work.

Disappointing CompTIA would extend that offer without covering travel.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've done a couple of these workshops, it's an awesome experience.

All of the upcoming SME oppurtunities are listed on the exam development site (Link)
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone been accepted? You should be able to find flight/room/car for under $1000 and that should be able to be written off as a travel expense for work. $1500 + 1 exam voucher isn't bad plus being able to add it to a resume. I wonder if they use the same people for the entire series for the tests or recruit new ones for each workshop?
    Last time I went up, I got the flight/hotel for around $800. After everything else it came out to around $1100 (gas, cars, food).

In order to get a variety of experience, they bring new people in for each phase (JTA, Item Writing, Item Review, & the Cut Score).
  • w0rdw0rd Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kind of having fun with this at this point, but I still think you guys are still low balling the cost to get out there. I don't expect to be staying in a Ritz for the visit, but I'm definitely not providing my help/assistance/knowledge and staying in a Super 8.

Just grabbed these rates.... (coming in Sunday evening, leaving Friday afternoon)

Air - $350 (this is from the east coast - I'm not sure if they have identified individuals yet, but every day they hold off on letting people know, the higher air will get)
    Hotel - $650
    Taxi - $100 (using either Midway or O'Hare, it's about 20 miles to the building)
    Food - $180 ($30 per day)

Total: $1280
    Left over: $220

Again, this doesn't include time missed from work.
    My hotel (Westin in Lombard) is $570 getting in on Sunday and leaving Saturday and another $250 for gas (driving from NJ). Car is a must for me and it's cheaper to drive then fly and rent one. I'm lucky enough to be able to take vacation time for this. Also it did mention breakfast and lunch were included. I'm really looking forward to this as a great opportunity.

One thing I noticed was that a lot of the names on the cc list were the same as the ones already on the CompTIA SME list.
    My last trip-

Cab - $60 +tip
    I'm not sure about their new office, but their old place was only $30 town car ride from Midway.

Food - $80 ($20 for each of the 4 dinners)
    The Hyatt (closest to their old place) offered free breakfast. Comptia offered free lunches everyday, and the at least two free dinners.

I checked could catch a flight for $266, not sure about the pricing on the new hotel.
    Was the Westin Lombard on the list for their new office? I thought the new office was on the other side of town.
    Was on their list of places to stay. Supposed to be about a 10-15min car ride. The drive doesn't bother me much, I once commuted 2 hrs 1 way for a 2 month contract that didn't pay much just to keep busy.