Lunch breaks

kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just curious how many of you are able to take a full lunch break every day, Im lucky in my role if I can take it once a week - its almost always a sandwich at my desk and immediately back to work.
2011 Goals: 70-433 | 70-432

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    The joys of working in infosec and working at home. I take lunch everyday and however long I want. I do have to put up with horrible managers however so it's not all rainbows and unicorns.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    I will usually take an hour or so, take my time to eat then catch up on some reading. If I don't take an hour then I will leave a little earlier at the end of the day.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,927 Mod
    I always take lunch breaks as they are intended. When I bring lunch and eat at my desk I generally browse tech sites or may take care of a couple of issues because I want to, not because it is expected. If there is an emergency I will gladly push or skip lunch.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Since taking this new job it's been hit and miss. Sometimes 10-11 hour days no break/lunches. Then sometimes the boss comes by and snags everyone for a Chipotle run.
    -Daniel
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm assuming you are in some sort of role where you are in a phone queue/ticket queue? Rigid or no lunch breaks kind of come with the territory of those roles.

Once you move past the first line support roles your schedule is usually a lot less rigid.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I usually take a lunch unless I am working on a big issue/project, or I get interrupted at my desk.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I always take a full hour lunch because I don't get paid for it.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I bring a lunch Monday - Wednesday and typically eat at my desk and keep working I am not always so busy that I have to but like the other posted said I just want to get it done and I am at my desk anyways. The last part of the week we all go out as a team and typically take a 1.5 hour lunch give or take.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its a support role but we dont do tickets. We work around our clients, so when the ones who take lunch at 1 take their break we get calls from the ones who take lunch at 12 :)

There are also so many jobs to be done day to day (very small team, around 50 clients) that it almost feels wrong to be taking a whole hour off.

Pretty effed up.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I could take a full hour if I wanted but rarely do. More often than not I eat at my desk sometimes while working sometimes not. If I go eat somewhere rarely does it take a full hour so i just come on back to the office. It's not a big deal I do enough surfing, studying, goofing off during the day to make up for working while eating. The only annoying time is if I am at a client site and end up there well past when I usually eat and then I'm scheduled to be at another client an hour ago so I end up hitting a drive-thru and eating while I drive.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I do. If I don't, the day seems super long. Plus, I don't think straight and I get cranky when I'm hungry
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    QHalo wrote: »
    I always take a full hour lunch because I don't get paid for it.

Same here. Granted I work evenings and weekends to get stuff done when I have to, and don't get paid extra for that either icon_mad.gif.

I see it as a necessity to keep my mind sharp. I actually go home (8 min drive). Eat a sandwhich on the way, get to my apt and watch some tv/close my eyes/browse craigslist. Then back to work.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I try and get my full hour in when I can. I use that time to study as all of my other time is tracked manually. So I really have next to no time to mess around throughout the day. Although there are days when it just doesn't happen for one reason or another, if it's because of emergencies i'm fine.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually don't take a scheduled lunch. I bring in a cooler and basically "munch" throughout the day at my desk. I can take up to an hour but I have to leave the floor I work on otherwise I will get interrupted. I am the closest IT person to the main call center. icon_sad.gif
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Same here. Granted I work evenings and weekends to get stuff done when I have to, and don't get paid extra for that either icon_mad.gif.

I see it as a necessity to keep my mind sharp. I actually go home (8 min drive). Eat a sandwhich on the way, get to my apt and watch some tv/close my eyes/browse craigslist. Then back to work.

I'm a contractor, so they're paying for anything beyond 8-5 and during my lunch. Nature of the beast.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i have an hour lunch scheduled, and usually take it... if we are busy, and you are at your desk, they will ask you to come back from lunch early... now you will get OT or get to leave earlier, but sometimes it's lame to not get to enjoy your lunch break... I mean it's voluntary, they don't force you on the phones, but i like to have a full hour break midday, but if they ask for help, I feel compelled to
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually eat at my desk. Could leave if I wanted to.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I eat at my desk and read the techexams forums.
  • RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on how the schedule is setup for. I used to work 7-4 9 days and get a 3 day weekend. Lunch was at your desk on the clock to help customers. Same job now I my schedule is 7 - 3:30 with an unpaid 1/2 hour of lunch that i never take. ( I usually have a co-worker going out bring me back something) but I don't feel bad about leaving early every now and then.
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    On my shift, I am usually the only tech for the site, so I take breaks as time allows. I have sat down, taken one bite, and come back 3 hours later to cold food.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,927 Mod
    Man, your stories are making me appreciate my job more than I already do.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    lunch is when i fire up labsim and eat while watching and avoiding people
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I get bored during lunch so I usually come back early and start working. If I go out to eat somewhere I take a longer lunch, but I try to bring my lunch to eat healthy and save money which generally means short lunches.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually take lunch every day, but I eat with coworkers and we always talk serious work issues (not water-cooler gossip chat). I have found that really, for 90% of folks that don't take lunches, it is really by choice, even if it doesn't feel that way.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    I usually take lunch every day, but I eat with coworkers and we always talk serious work issues (not water-cooler gossip chat). I have found that really, for 90% of folks that don't take lunches, it is really by choice, even if it doesn't feel that way.

Im sure I could take lunch every day and no one would say anything, however due to the massive workload I feel that if I took a full hour off every day it would just put me so far behind.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I prefer to get off work 1 hour early by skipping lunch; snack all day, lift after work.

Works out fantastically.
    :twisted:
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Lunch... there's a concept.. After some time I've learned to budget my time and make sure I don't get swept away in work. There was a time I didn't take lunch for almost a full month (just ate at my desk pounding away at projects) it got to the point were my co-workers wouldn't even bother mentioning lunch to me and just stroll past me like I was invisible.... After I corrected the problem and starting taking my lunches again, I seriously forgot how relaxing it was to escape for an hour.

Of course that still doesn't stop my BlackBerry from ringing, the emails, or the BBMs while I am at lunch.. but either way it's nice to get out for lunch.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I usually bring my lunch just to save money. On those days I take 30 minutes at my desk and leave early. When I don't, there's always a group from my team going out somewhere and we take an hour or so.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My company actually provides food for us. All we have to do is bring drinks icon_scratch.gificon_thumright.gif
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My lunches range anywhere from 20 minutes to 2+ hours... depending on the mood, the people I'm with, and workload in that order :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...