Arrgh Failed Route twice

paulitblgpaulitblg Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

Long time lurker first time poster. I have just sat my ROUTE exam for the second time today and failed. Both times i have missed it by average 100 points. I have been studying for the exam for about 10 months self study using The official CCNP books, cbt nuggets and gns3/lab equipment. Each time i do the exam i have failed in diffrent areas.

Can anyone recomend any other material or advice on where i should go with this.

Comments

• imPhilipimPhilip Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    paulitblg wrote: »
    Hi all

Long time lurker first time poster. I have just sat my ROUTE exam for the second time today and failed. Both times i have missed it by average 100 points. I have been studying for the exam for about 10 months self study using The official CCNP books, cbt nuggets and gns3/lab equipment. Each time i do the exam i have failed in diffrent areas.

Can anyone recomend any other material or advice on where i should go with this.
    I would recommend Chris Bryant's Study guide, it is one of the resources I am currently using for my study. You can buy the CCNP Route video and student guide bundle or just the guide on its own.

I am also using BSCI OCG, GNS3, real kit I have in a lab at work and Boson exam sim.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    First off, don't get discouraged. I used to get stressed out about passing the first time (which we all want to try to do), but its not always going to happen.

Do you have the FLG or just the OCG? Did you feel like you got the labs correct or do you think you bombed them?
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • paulitblgpaulitblg Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Panzer919 and imPhilip

I will check out the Chris Bryant's material. I am using the OSG material. I feel i got most of the labs right. There was one ipv6 one which really got me. Its something i studied up on after my first exam because it was my weak point. I know people say if it was easy everyone would have one but when its coming out your own pocket as well it pretty much just sucks.
  • rtrefzrtrefz Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a couple of suggestions:

1: Do more lab work. I remember stuff much better after I have actual hands on experience.

2: Check Erratas for your books. The ROUTE book I have is chuck full of errors. It took me a good hour transcribing the errata into the book.

3: Try to recognize the patterns for a routing protocol's commands. For example, most OSPF commands are "ip ospf..." or "sh ip ospf ..." However BGP is just "bgp ..." or "sh bgp ...". I have a horrible time remembering stuff on it's own, but if I can figure out the thought process ebhind something I do a lot better.
    I have the OCG but ended up only really using the FLG to study with. It is packed with a lot of information as well as a couple examples you could easily lab up and follow. I know at this stage it might not be of interest to you to go and purchase a new book but I figured I would throw that out there.

As for labs, I don't know if you were making your own or if you got a lab book. I would try to remember as much as you can about the lab and try to replicate it. Also a good lab source is the GNS3Vault
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
    Hi all

Thanks for the advice and info.you have inspired me to continue on and not to retrain as a plumber lol

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the labs. All the labs i do are made up myself so not a lot of troublshooting is involed or not enough in this case for the exam

Looks like lots of Gns3 for me :)
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep going at it!

CCNP is a title hard to get but once you see it hanging on your wall you will be proud.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • JZegersJZegers Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep at it. It took me three tries to pass the switching test. What helped most is this:

i started using the FLG book for switch the first two times i failed it. After that, i picked up the OSG and it helped because it was another way of learning the info, which helped me on the test.

Thats what i would recommend doing, find another source of study material and go through it then give it another shot.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Hello,

I may know of a company that can offer you a great price on CCNP/CCIE R&S Material at at a fraction of the price of other companies. For more information please send me a PM if you are interested.

Also, I saw that you are using GNS3, so this material would compliment your current setup very well.

Thanks and have a great day!
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your product looks excellent but....

spamReg.png
    DPG wrote: »
    Your product looks excellent but....

spamReg.png

lol, I was thinking the same thing
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    lol, nice spam reference! there are members on here with very positive feedback on the so called spam.

Thanks and have a great day :)
    lol, nice spam reference! there are members on here with very positive feedback on the so called spam.

Thanks and have a great day :)

I never said the material was bad, I like the labs. But still my first thought was spam:D
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
    Hi all

I have been away having a break from the Cisco for a week but i cant believe the response this post has. Thank you all. I have bought the Chris Bryant material and going to hit GNS3 really had over the next few months.

Will keep you update on my Route Status.

Thanks again guys