Bachleors in what...

JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Im wrapping up my AS this year and im thinking about pursuing a BS in something but I cannot decide in what. I want a networking career in IT but all the BS' in IT are pretty general. They involve programing,web design, database analysis...and so on. I know many people feel that a BS once you have your foot in the door is not really necessary and there might be some Merritt to that but I want to accomplish this for myself. I just want to know what BS degree is the most useful to get? Business? Stick with a general IT? What do you guys think?

Comments

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Personally if I had to do my degree again, I would probably do IT with Business instead of Computing. But that's mainly due to being an IT Manager now in support rather than a Software engineer. Hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

But apart from that, do the degree in what interests you have in computing/IT. It'll make the 3-6 years (depending on if you do it full time or part-time and how many modules you do per year) alot more bearable.

-Ken
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    Hello,

I am also wrapping up my AAS in Technical Support and decided to go with a 4 year university that has my bachelors program. It is the Information Technology and Administrative management program. It is an actual 4 year university that is not an online school (even though the program I am doing can be taken online if a person wanted to). This I believe is the wave of the future. Look at your university in your state before trying to go an online university like Devry or one of these unheard colleges. You will be surprised that they are now starting to offer online degree's and distant education classes near your local community college. Making getting a bachelors degree easier.

I believe that if you have at least something concerning computers and business or computers and management in your degree title you should be fine.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You might like one of the two Network degrees that WGU offers.

They've got a BS in IT: Networks Administrator degree program and a BS in IT: Networks Design and Management degree.

The difference between the two is basically the first is for Network Administration and the second is more for System/Network Engineering.

Network Administration program caps off with several certifications including the MCITP: Server Administrator and CCENT certifications.

Networks Design and Management covers most of the same ground except it goes for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator instead of Server Administrator and CCENT certifications.

Those probably would be the two programs that I know of that would fit you best, however in general, any degree plus industry certs in that direction should help you regardless.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Employers don't care what your degree is in - just get through it as fast as you can. What is a college education? An HR checkbox. It may hold personal value to you, and it may help you develop intellectually and professionally, but they really don't give a crap.

Degree? Check
    Relevant experience? Check
    Certifications that we asked for in job description? Check

They're looking at your experience more than your degree.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Many folks still perceive IT folks as being business dolts. Today, I think that IT folks tend to be among the most business aware folks, once they get up to speed at a company. To help mitigate the potential that others would perceive you this way, go for an IS/CIS/MIS, as they are IT degree from business schools and require general ed core (as all BS do) and business core on top of IT courses.

Heh, it's actually kind of funny because I am extremely and overtly value-focused at work... I always have been, and I make sure that folks know that is my prime motivation in my recommendations. My last boss at my former employer (only my boss for a couple of months) purposely tried to denigrate me by saying I was just a techie that likes to work with new and fun technologies despite business need. He was extremely intimidated by me because he was incompetent and was only hired because his boss was a high school friend.... and I had applied for the job. He tried to state that virtualization was just a fad, like I cared about his opinion, and that it just wouldn't work; I had virtualized 90% of our systems, improved overall performance, implemented a business continuity solution around these technologies, and saved $500k over the next three years for an IT department that only had a $2m budget... Not to mention... I had been the president of my credit union for two years, at that time (a volunteer position, as was the entire board of directors, filled and elected by credit union members). I was elected into that position after being the VP for two years and a board member for two years, so I had a tangible record. He knew all of this...

My point... the stuff happens. I am thankful for him pushing me out the door, because I am in a much better situation now... and I make more that he does :)
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I plan to do a BSCS w/ a concentration in Business (many account, finance and business electives). I think it's a win win. icon_thumright.gif