Options

Review CCNA first?

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
It’s been about 3 years since I studied for my CCNA and almost time to renew it. I want to keep it so I am going to study for the security specialization. I am afraid at this point I remember very little. Should I take time to review everything from my CCNA studies first or will things come back to me as I study the security material. I don’t want to waste time reviewing if I don’t have to.

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Question is do you have plans on working with Cisco equipment? If you haven't worked with Cisco in 3 years is it worth renewing your CCNA?
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Question is do you have plans on working with Cisco equipment? If you haven't worked with Cisco in 3 years is it worth renewing your CCNA?

Yes, it's worth it to me to renew it. It's what interests me the most, just haven't been able to get a job doing it yet.

Thank you.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Reviewing the CCNA may not be completely necessary to pass the CCNA: Security, but if you do break into the networking field you will want to brush up on your CCNA level knowledge.

I would take a look at the CCNA Security objectives and see what overlaps.

BTW if you CCNA is already expired you will not obtain the CCNA: Security until you re-certify your CCNA, since CCNA is a pre-req for the CCNA: Security
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Reviewing the CCNA may not be completely necessary to pass the CCNA: Security, but if you do break into the networking field you will want to brush up on your CCNA level knowledge.

I would take a look at the CCNA Security objectives and see what overlaps.

BTW if you CCNA is already expired you will not obtain the CCNA: Security until you re-certify your CCNA, since CCNA is a pre-req for the CCNA: Security

Yeah, I have started to review. I am surprised at how much I actually remember. I think it is going to be a quick review.