Ignore these 10 Outdated Pieces Of Career Advice

blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
Working on: RHCE/Ansible
Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...

Comments

• powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good stuff... I can't say I disagree with any of them, except the informal language... you don't need to read likely a dictionary or attorney, but it shouldn't be conversational, either.

Lifehacker had a post a few days ago about the "weaknesses" question. The suggestion was that you pick an irrelevant weakness... e.g. I am not very good at bookkeeping or accounting and I should work on that as a business skill, but that is why I am applying for an HR position... so that I can use my strengths. That was a paraphrase of their example... it is rather cheesy, but it gets the point across.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Objectives and references.....hell yes.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • jdchildersjdchilders Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Objectives and references.....hell yes.

Its your opinion that you need them, or can ignore them?

I have completely phased out references from my resume. I used to use "available upon request line", but have since kicked it completely out. Every application system i've applied to online has a spot for those to be entered manually anyway. Otherwise I agree...they'd ask for them.

I do however, still have an objective statement. Whats TE's viewpoint on them?
  • RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't used an Objective line in 15 years except 1 time when I accidently left it as " To get a Job" ( I was having a real bad day when I was customizing it). funny thing is I got an interview and a job because of that mistake. The HR Manager said it was refreshingly honest and it made him laugh. However I don't recommend it. I say leave it off because todays hiring managers and electronic venues pay no attention to it anyway. They know you want the job and they know you are going to word your objective to sound like something they would want to hear. your accomplishments and experience on the other hand speak for themselves.
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Rappeller wrote: »
    I haven't used an Objective line in 15 years except 1 time when I accidently left it as " To get a Job" ( I was having a real bad day when I was customizing it). funny thing is I got an interview and a job because of that mistake. The HR Manager said it was refreshingly honest and it made him laugh. However I don't recommend it. I say leave it off because todays hiring managers and electronic venues pay no attention to it anyway. They know you want the job and they know you are going to word your objective to sound like something they would want to hear. your accomplishments and experience on the other hand speak for themselves.

It could've been worst. It could've read "To get a #*@%$ job". LOL!

A couple of weeks ago I saw a resume sitting next to our fax machine that had a lot of default template values such as "[Company Name]" and "[Describe your career goal or ideal job.]". Believe it or not, the guy's phone number was missing a digit and there was no email listed. Amazing.
  • RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    And I can tell you I have no reason why it didn't, i was ticked because my company had moved it's entire helpdesk to India. But the job I did get was 8k more a year (non IT) and I lasted a year in the purchasing Department (although I did play with spreadsheets a lot to automate my position). The job I took after the purchasing dept. is the one I am currently atand is almost double, so I can't complain. My goal is for my resume to get me into the door and the interview gets me job.
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I don't think I ever used the "objective" except in school where the teacher told me it was necessary
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark