Options

BS in Health Informatics at WGU Question

HIMboundHIMbound Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone here done this degree or in process? I already have two bachelor's degrees and am almost done with my Master's but would like to take this WGU program to be able to get some IT certs and sit for my RHIA cert. I'm wondering just how generous they will be with my transfer credits and if I will truly be able to just test out of the material I have done for years. This is what I have been told, up to now. I have applied and have my transcripts in process, but I want to make sure I won't be doing a ton of useless papers to keep me working longer than necessary. I would like to finish this program in 12 months or less. I really only have 1 HIM class and the IT classes that I have to take to really learn the material. I do use a lot of technology and have some DSST exams under my belt in this area, but no real class work. I'm expecting these to be the most time consuming. Is there a way to access the course requirements prior to see if I can do just the exams? Sorry for all the questions, but I keep getting conflicting info.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Haven't done the degree personally, but do you really think you need another degree? Not poking at you, just asking the question.
  • Options
    Honestly, I really don't want another degree, but the agency that offers the RHIA certification requires you to complete their degrees in order to take the exam. They get money for each student that goes through their programs from the schools so they have it locked up. The certification will definitely improve my job options. The IT certs that come along with the WGU degree will also be a bonus. I can do a post-bacc cert but the cost would be a lot more than WGU if I could truly complete the WGU degree in a year. It really boils down to the quickest, least expensive option. My deadline for completion is Dec. 2012.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HIMbound wrote: »
    Is there a way to access the course requirements prior to see if I can do just the exams?

http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/BS_HI.pdf

I am doubtful you'll be able to do alot of the HI classes without enrolling in WGU, but your answers are in that PDF.
  • Options
    Thanks! I have enrolled and my transcripts are enroute. I'm just wondering if I can get access to the course syllabi and requirements ahead of time so I know what is expected for each class? If you score high on the course pre-assessment are you given credit for the course without having to do the rest of the course work? What is the average type of course work expected in each course? I noticed in the document you linked in that it says you have to do two portfolios and a capstone. What do the portfolios consist of? Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HIMbound wrote: »
    Thanks! I have enrolled and my transcripts are enroute. I'm just wondering if I can get access to the course syllabi and requirements ahead of time so I know what is expected for each class? If you score high on the course pre-assessment are you given credit for the course without having to do the rest of the course work? What is the average type of course work expected in each course? I noticed in the document you linked in that it says you have to do two portfolios and a capstone. What do the portfolios consist of? Thanks for all the help!

I'm not an HI major, so I can't be much help. However, I can answer some of these.
    if I can get access to the course syllabi and requirements ahead of time so I know what is expected for each class?

After your term starts, you get access to all of your Course of Study ([CoS] WGU equivalent of the syllabus). You won't see this before you're enrolled, I'm afraid.
    If you score high on the course pre-assessment are you given credit for the course without having to do the rest of the course work?

If you score high on the course pre-assessment, you are ready to schedule the real assessment. You will need to do it at least 5 days ahead though. (e.g. you can't schedule an exam to be done tomorrow...it has to be 5 days ahead). The pre-assessment is very close to the real exams.
    What is the average type of course work expected in each course?

Some papers, some exams. It depends on how comfortable you are with the material in front of you. Some classes can be done within one week, others a month or two...it all depends on you.
  • Options
    I had my eval done and I would have to take 8 proctored, objective assessments. Where do you get the proctor from? Then I would have to do 8 performance assessments. What is involved in a performance assessment? Then I would have to obtain my 3 IT certs then do my 80 hours of practicum. I'm not sure that is worth it for another bachelor's I may have to defer to a post-bac cert or grad cert instead. It would depend on the workload involved in the above requirements. If I could finish within 9 months then it may be worth it, but if not...I will have to do some more searching.