Options

Security clearance question

lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was offered a position and have to get a clearance, the company has told me it could take up to 2 months, anyone been through the process to give me an idea of actual wait times?

Also once I have that clearance how long does it apply?
It's a secret clearance I believe
Currently Reading:
ICND2 Official Exam Guide
Second Edition Wendell Odom
CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN

Comments

• Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Youll end up getting an interim clearance first, which generally only takes a few weeks. The final would be granted (if everything checks out) a few weeks after that.
  • Options
    SecuSecu Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Update: How Long Does it Take To Get a Security Clearance?

Link has some updated numbers on times, and the site has some decent info on the process.
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    Leonardo FantasticoLeonardo Fantastico Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Youll end up getting an interim clearance first, which generally only takes a few weeks. The final would be granted (if everything checks out) a few weeks after that.
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa...I have worked overseas for a number of years and there have been people working there who have been waiting over a year for their final clearance and get no response. They won't ever tell you why you are being held up.

This was a few years ago so maybe they cleared their backlog or whatever.

It is also in the company's best interest not to let you know what is going on because they know you won't leave if your clearance is still being processed.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa...I have worked overseas for a number of years and there have been people working there who have been waiting over a year for their final clearance and get no response. They won't ever tell you why you are being held up.

It is also in the company's best interest not to let you know what is going on because they know you won't leave if your clearance is still being processed.

I remember several years ago guys I worked with sat on interim clearances for over a year. I think they changed who was doing them a couple of years ago though because of all the backlog.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882

It is much faster than your experience. Just the past two years they improved the process. To get your TS takes no longer than 6 months if you been a good boy / girl! MY interim came in two days.