Try for MCSA??

petemn79petemn79 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am wondering if I should try to go for my MCSA 2003 eventhough Server 2008 is "new" and is the cert to get.

The reason for asking is a few years ago I passed my 290 exam and bought a book for the 291 exam, but never finished it and let things ago.

I also put a bunch of money into these prep logic certification CD's that just have been sitting around and they may not even work or let me to have access, who knows.

I completed my A+ and working on my Network+ and those would count as an elective. The 70-680 exam would be my client OS exam.

So my question is after the Network+ and 70-680 exam, is it worthwhile going for the 291 and complete the mcsa2003?

Comments

• steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, that one test could be the difference in you getting your next job. But the 291 is called the Beast for reason!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You are insane not to complete it if you are going to be so close anyway.
  • petemn79petemn79 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You are insane not to complete it if you are going to be so close anyway.

I am not sure if I am close at the moment, but after Network+ my next logical step is the Windows 7 exam and then I would be one exam away from MCSA and I have the MS Training Kit for the 291 exam.

Can you use the 70-680 towards the MCTIP if you already used it for the MCSA?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1 test for a pretty recognized piece of paper? I'd do it in a second.
    petemn79 wrote: »
    Can you use the 70-680 towards the MCTIP if you already used it for the MCSA?

Yes. You don't "use" a test when you apply it to a certification. You have it and it can count in many places (just not on the same certification. For example the 680 couldn't be your client and your elective for the MCSA. But if you had the 270 and 680 then you would have both bases covered).
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say go for it. That's what I did. I was 1 test way (291) and actually just cleared the 291 today. I failed it once before but after substantial study I was able to clear it .. plus you can pass "upgrade" exams to move on to MCITP on server 2008. Just waiting for it to show up in my transcript :)
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • petemn79petemn79 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ZachB wrote: »
    I'd say go for it. That's what I did. I was 1 test way (291) and actually just cleared the 291 today. I failed it once before but after substantial study I was able to clear it .. plus you can pass "upgrade" exams to move on to MCITP on server 2008. Just waiting for it to show up in my transcript :)

I came to your same conclusion. I discovered that I have books from my college course for the XP exam (270) and have CDs I purchased through preplogic a few years ago that cover the MCSE. You can upgrade from MCSA to MCTIP with only 2 upgrade exams and that makes more sense, at least finacially to finish the MCSA and upgrade. My goal is take Network+, then XP, follwed by 291. It seems like quite a bit, but then I would have my MCSA.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would definitely do the 291 to finish up your MCSA. Then, you'd have plenty of time to work on the server 2008 tracks.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I would definitely do the 291 to finish up your MCSA. Then, you'd have plenty of time to work on the server 2008 tracks.

I totally agree!! icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • killwarkillwar Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's always best to go and acheive your mcsa certification as you already started.

You can always upgrade to mcitp on server 2008 afterwards.

Like steve13ad said 70-291 is the beast exam of all.you will get to learn on some routing protocols which you will find in cisco.
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have made it this far....go for it!!!