Recent graduate need help in job market

benmarkbenmark Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

First of all thanks to everyone in advance for their help and time. I just recently graduated with my Bachelor of science degree in Computer Engineering. The Engineering job market is really difficult for me since all my experience is in IT.

So, what I want to do is go for my masters in electrical engineering in a few years, but till then get a decent job in the IT field and save up for my masters.

However, I'm having a really tough time getting callbacks and the callbacks for jobs that I have gotten get cancelled, pay $13/hr, or I never hear back from the recruiter without even getting a interview. I have gotten one interview with Cisco, made it to the third round and didn't get the job, which was for a Technical support engineer. The positions I'm applying for are entry level tier 1/2 desktop support or helpdesk.

I have 5 years of tier 2 support experience. I've interned at Johnson & Johnson for a year as an information management Co-op and worked for IBM for 1.5 years as a tier 2 technical support analyst. I've gotten my resume professionally done twice but still no bites. I'm starting to think my lack of certifications may be holding me back (it did for the Cisco position). So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. I was looking at getting the CCNA or possibly Microsoft and starting with the 70-680. Any tips in general would be helpful. The technical positions i'm applying for are all out of state because there aren't many in my current state.

Thanks again!

Comments

• LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Start working on your certs and maybe think about moving.
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    Apply, Apply, Apply.
  • MC85MC85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah the job market sucks out there. I've been stuck as a helpdesk tech since I graduated a few years ago. :/

Where do you live? You may want to think about moving to an area with more IT jobs. I should probably take my own advice though.
  • nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    Armymanis wrote: »
    Apply, Apply, Apply.

pretty much. Supply and demand. Not alot of demand but alot of suppliers.....i see IT job going for as low as 8-9 dollars around here icon_rolleyes.gifallout.gif If you cant find a job, i suggest just settle down to a low paying one, just to keep yourself employed. It's suck to have to explain to your potential employers why there is a gap on your employment record...plus it makes you look bad when you're competing with equally qualified applicants.

Oh i was told that nowaday, if you're unemployed for more than 6 months, you're pretty much considered unemploy-able icon_rolleyes.gificon_sad.gif
  • benmarkbenmark Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for you reply guys.

I'm out in New Mexico. I want to move out of this state, but I'd like to secure a job before moving just in case.

The gap is starting to worry me. I left my student job in May after I graduated. I'm just gonna keep applying and use this time wisely to study for some certs. I'm thinking about either starting with CCENT then moving to CCNA or going for the MCP and starting with 70-680. I'm pretty confident with Windows 7 so I think that exam might be better to start with. Thanks again for the tips and advice!

If you guys have any more, I'm all ears.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Armymanis wrote: »
    Apply, Apply, Apply.

Ditto....There are positions out there....trust. What experience do you have if any??
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    You might try applying for Cerner Corporation. Since you are a recent graduate, you might look towards the Entry-Level training programs.

They are based in Kansas City, MO.

I just started a job here and from what I've seen so far, it seems like an awesome place to work.

I don't know where you are located though.
  • benmarkbenmark Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Xcluziv

I've worked in a Tier 2 desktop support role for about 5 years. For 1 year I was at JNJ assisting the IBM team. Then I accepted a position to work for IBM as part of their team for a little over a year. Afterwards I got a student job at my university for another three years. I've done a lot of IT project management, backup and restoration, Windows, Mac, Office, printers. If it breaks we fix it.

I haven't had much network experience other than basic switch/hub/data jack connection. Nothing with routers. I've done some basic active directory just setting up new users. I've tripled the amount of applications i put out each day. Averaging about 15-20 a day since last week. Nothing but Dice, Indeed, and Simplyhired all day.

I got one reply from a recruiter yesterday and we are in the process of finalizing my application.

Thanks Hackman! I'll check it out. I'm in New Mexico, but trying to get out as fast as I can.

I ordered two 70-680 study books and am going to hit them this weekend.