Interview Tomorrow -- I'm not sure if I'm even qualified...

MirthMirth Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I was called today by HR to have a job interview for tomorrow (Friday, 28th) for a "Desktop Support Tech I" position. The job details seem like something I'm comfortable with and can handle, mostly troubleshooting of hardware and software, installation of devices, etc, it seems.

At the bottom it says:
High school graduate or equivalent. Minimum of 1-year experience as desktop support technician. Previous networking experience providing end-user support, workstation configurations and file server configurations utilizing Windows 2000/2003 or newer.
I have a Bachelors in IT Engineering, so that should be sufficient as far as education, along with an A+ and Network+ certs, and part of my last job was troubleshooting and installing the computers (although I got hired as an Automotive mechanic/body-shop), so I put I on my resume that I have 2 years as an IT Technician/Automotive Repair.

The thing is, I've never really dealt with Windows Servers. I don't even know what File Server Configurations really are, although if I had to guess I'd probably be on base, and I don't know what goes on in Workstation configurations. I "know of" Active Directory, Group Policies, etc but I've never used any of them and if I had to use them tomorrow, I'd be lost. And I've only dealt with SOHO networking, so I'm not sure if that even qualifies.

So I was wondering what someone in my position should do? Should I briefly study up on these today to be a little more prepared for questions on them tomorrow? And if so, do any of you have any resources for this? Should I be honest and say I've never dealt with them before but I'm willing to learn?

I'm so desperate to land this (a) job because in a months time I will be homeless if I don't find anything before then. I don't want my desperation to show in this interview like it did in my last failed interview, so I want to be prepared as much as possible. Any tips regarding what I need to do about the requirements of the job that I don't meet would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    In my experience, the only thing that Desktop Support will be doing with the File Server is mapping drives for users.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Relax, this is Desktop Support, not Windows System Admin.

I don't think it makes sense to cram a day before the interview. If they invited you then you already fit their profile in terms of experience and qualification. I don't think that they will ask you any deep technical questions.

Just make sure that you sleep well, show up on time, look good and behave like any good guest (that's what you are in an interview) would. Be polite, be open and you will get this job. Best of luck to you!
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wouldnt really worry about it. They may ask about how to reset a password or unlock an account in AD. They may also ask how to join a workstation to a domain. Mapping drives is cake. There really is no set workstation config that everyone goes by they just want you to be able to setup a workstation how they see fit and possibly capture an image of it. They may also ask about permissions settings for files and folders. I would just study up on those things and think things through logically when they ask you troubleshooting questions. Make sure to send a thank you e-mail after thanking them for a chance to interview with them.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I promise it won't be difficult from the description you provided. With your certs, you should be able to handle it all. If not, I'm sure they will give you training when you start, as well as have procedures ready for you to access regarding the simple/common issues.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't psyche yourself out of a job.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When it comes to a file server, it's mainly about NTFS permissions. This ties in to a bit of Active Directory as the permissions are usually AD security groups which are applied to the ACL. There are also share permissions but you usually don't mess with those unless setting up a new share. Here is an example of a call you could get as a desktop support tech:

User: "ZOMG Help! I need access to the finance folder ASAP!!!!111!!!"
    You: "No problemo, let make a quick phone call to Bob in Finance, once he approves this request I will add you to the Finance group folder. I will call you back when that is done". You proceed to type in the path to the finance folder, then you check the permissions on that folder. After gaining approval to give this user access you add the user to the appropriate group in Active Directory Users and Computers. The user will then need to log in/out to gain access to the folder.

Unlikely you would be doing much else in regards to a file server in your role. Another common task that you may or may not be doing is creating new users in Active Directory. This is so simple that you could be trained how to do it in less than 5 minutes, I would recommend watching a you tube video on it so you know how the interface looks.

I'm not saying you should lie about what you know, but I would not worry about the file server/AD stuff.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good advice by the other posters already, as far as file configuration goes, they might ask you:

1. How would you map a network drive for a user?
    Ans: My computer window > Tools > Map Network Drive > Spare drive letter > Specify folder location \\servername\sharename.

2. How would you use a network drive for a user using the command line?
    Ans: In a command window, net use z: \\servername\sharename

3. How would you make the mapping persistent?
    Ans: Use the -p switch at the end of the command

4. A user is having issues with accessing folders in a network drive, what would you do?
    Ans: i). Reconnect the drive
    ii). Check which folders they cant access
    iii). Check the required security group membership on the folder
    iv). Check if user is a member of the group
    v). If no, add them to the group (after they have obtained managerial permission). If yes, re-add them and get them to restart their computer.

This might help and good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • MirthMirth Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice, support, and examples fellas! I feel a lot less nervous and relaxed now. I Google'd and Youtube'd some of the suggestions too and learned quite a few things, just in case!

Again, I appreciate the help!!! Here goes nothing! =D
    I just got back from the interview. Overall it went very well!!! I interviewed with 5 people at the same time, which actually made me feel a LOT more comfortable than when I interviewed one-on-one in the other failed interview. I was very open but still professional. When asked, "What are your weaknesses?" I answered with "...interviews" and that got a good laugh from everyone and the girl said that's the best answer she's ever heard. Of course I followed up with a serious answer.

I goofed up a couple times, kinda badly, when asked what I would do if a user got a fake virus. I said I'd never even heard of a fake virus until now. But now that I think about it, maybe he was talking about one of those fake anti-virus programs that pop up... I'm still not sure, but I hope it didn't hinder me too much. Secondly, when asked what I would do with an irate customer, I answered it incorrectly. I said that I would stay calm and work with them until I resolved the problem, but the interviewer said I should just walk away. So, that's another bomb there.

Was also asked if I knew how to reset a user's password in the Active Directory, and I said that I do, without having to lie! So thanks for the suggestion about that which made me look it up! Also the other suggestions that I looked up were great to know.

Anyways, they all seemed very pleased, and the main interviewer said that I did really good and that I meet all of their technical requirements (Not sure if since he made an emphasis on "technical requirements" means that my personal/customer requirements are subpar). He has 3 positions to fill and has a bunch of interviewers next week, so he'll let us know at the end of next week. I hope it's with good news!

They all mentioned that the job is very stressful. It was mentioned about 17 times. That's why the last guy in the position left. And that I'd probably rarely get a chance to sit down. I'm not sure if that's normal for this type of position or not, but I guess there's only one way to find out.

Anyways, just wanted to thank each and every response here, I feel it was a big help in relaxing me and making me feel confident!!! So thanks!!!
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I hope you got all their business cards so you can get them out a thank you letter. Anything to get your name back in front of their faces once again helps.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Mirth wrote: »
    Secondly, when asked what I would do with an irate customer, I answered it incorrectly. I said that I would stay calm and work with them until I resolved the problem, but the interviewer said I should just walk away. So, that's another bomb there.

Both of you are wrong. Malone has the correct answer:

"He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way"

Seriously, best of luck.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mirth wrote: »
    .....Secondly, when asked what I would do with an irate customer, I answered it incorrectly. I said that I would stay calm and work with them until I resolved the problem, but the interviewer said I should just walk away. So, that's another bomb there....

HUH??? icon_eek.gif

Just walk away? Without the issue being resolved? icon_sad.gif
    How EXACTLY does that help you, the company or customer?icon_scratch.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrRyte wrote: »
    HUH??? icon_eek.gif

Just walk away? Without the issue being resolved? icon_sad.gif
    How EXACTLY does that help you, the company or customer?icon_scratch.gif

That is a very typical question in an interview for a helpdesk/desktop job but probably the weirdest response I have heard. I think you answered it correctly. Staying calm and working with them is what you should do. Walking away without any assistance can create further issues down the road..........
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I hope you got all their business cards so you can get them out a thank you letter. Anything to get your name back in front of their faces once again helps.

Ack!! I totally didn't think of that at the time, and I don't have his email address, as we've done everything by phone... Would it be proper for me to try to search for it and if I find it, send him an email? And if I did, how long do I wait before sending the email?

cyberguypr wrote: »
    Both of you are wrong. Malone has the correct answer:

"He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way"

Seriously, best of luck.

Haha, I should have used that one. =D And thanks!

And yeah, when he gave me the "answer" to the irate customer question, I was a little mind-boggled. I'm glad that that's not the norm, at least from the perspective of you guys.