Getting around websense !!

darkmagicdarkmagic Member Posts: 127
Ok guys, i have this question for all you guys who want to do something innovative icon_wink.gif

I am in a office which has around 250-300 computers, each of which has a private IP, ofcourse. The problem is that recently they have installed "Websense" on the network, & no one can access any inappropriate site, even some networking sites. I used to sit & read some networking articles on some good sites like www.firewall.cx, but those sites also have unfortunately been blocked.

The workstations like mine are devoid of any rights ( we are not even allowed to change the wall paper for the computer).

In the above circumstances, is there anyway any of you security geeks here can suggest to get around this?
321hahaha.jpg

Comments

• johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    look on the net (at home) for a internet proxy server that you can connect to and redirect your URL access for you, but if they have websense configured well, they will probably blacklist those as well.

We use Wensense as well, but I have admin rights on all my boxes, so I just VPN to home and surf from there. I wouldnt have to do this but we block EVERYTHING icon_evil.gif
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • darkmagicdarkmagic Member Posts: 127
    look on the net (at home) for a internet proxy server that you can connect to and redirect your URL access for you, but if they have websense configured well, they will probably blacklist those as well.

Well, When i click on Tools >> Internet Options >> On this tab there is no "Connections" tab so that i can use that proxy icon_cry.gif
    We use Wensense as well, but I have admin rights on all my boxes, so I just VPN to home and surf from there. I wouldnt have to do this but we block EVERYTHING icon_evil.gif

Lucky you icon_mad.gif

Off Topic:
    Hey johny & you again changed your "avatar", what hapenned to your routers icon_wink.gif

Edit1:
    Hey, i just noticed that i posted this in the wrong "category", i wanted to post it in the "Offtopic" but posted it in the "General Certification". Sorry, MODS !! icon_sad.gif
    321hahaha.jpg
    no, you wont configure your PC to connect to a proxy server.

You will connect to a proxy server via URL in your address bar - i.e.

http://proxy.gettingaroundwebsense.com

and from there you connect to your URLs.

or http://proxy.web.com/rdict=www.techexams.net
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
    Yeah, i tried that as well, but when i do type such a URL in the address bar, it blocks it under the Category "Proxy Avoidance" icon_cry.gif

I tried several like:

www.proxysky.com/
    www.proxify.com/
    www.proxify.org/
    www.proxifier.com/

Among others.
    321hahaha.jpg
    tehe, thats what I figured.

See if they are doing blocking via DNS names instead of IP, then just try and connect via http://x.x.x.x

also if you are just plain desperate, setup a proxy box at home.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

tehe, thats what I figured.

Help your poor friend "johny" icon_lol.gif
    See if they are doing blocking via DNS names instead of IP, then just try and connect via http://x.x.x.x

I guess yes they are doing it via DNS, because i was not able to pull up the wesites even with the IP Addressicon_sad.gif
    also if you are just plain desperate, setup a proxy box at home.

Can you elaborate on that a little bit, because i tried it as well, but its not working icon_sad.gif
    321hahaha.jpg
    You got me there, I have never been able to setup a proxy at home, nor have I needed to :p
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2