Options

Packet Tracer

Bolton07Bolton07 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
In a packet tracer activity there was one wire that was red and Straight.

It is linking two routers together.

What type of wire is this?

I know the red jagged wire is a serial connection but not sure what the straight red wire is called. There seems to be no description anywhere

Regards

Adam

Comments

• Options
    JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe it is just a straight through cable
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Sure its not orange? I think fiber shows up as orange in PT. if you run a sh int status it should tell you...if PT takes that command
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    definatley red and straight

What would be the command for an fa0/1 interface.

Tried 'sh int status fa0/1'

and just 'sh int status'

But nothing happened
  • Options
    do a sh ip int b and **** the output into the message. But let me know what int has the red line
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    what kind of router is it? Have you looked on the physical tab to see if it has any modules added? if you remove the cable what does the little icon look like when you go to add a cable back? Looking at the config and physical tabs should give the clues you need.

It's probably fiber.
  • Options
    JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The only straight cable color even close to that color spectrum is the fiber cable
  • Options
    Below is the output of the router. Interface Fa0/1 has the red straight cable

Phoenix1#sh ip int b
    Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

FastEthernet0/0 172.16.20.1 YES manual up up

Serial0/0 172.16.100.6 YES manual up up

Serial0/1 unassigned YES manual administratively down down

Serial0/2 unassigned YES manual administratively down down

Serial0/3 unassigned YES manual administratively down down

FastEthernet1/0 172.16.100.9 YES manual up up
  • Options
    The Router is a 2620XM
  • Options
    Its a fiber module fo sure. click on the router and go to physical and you will see what modules are in there
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
  • Options
    Heres a description of the module. I suppose that answers it

The NM-1FE-FX Module provides 1 Fast-Ethernet interface for use with fiber media. Ideal for a wide range of LAN applications, the Fast Ethernet network modules support many internetworking features and standards. Single port network modules offer autosensing 10/100BaseTX or 100BaseFX Ethernet.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Bolton07 wrote: »
    The Router is a 2620XM

I'm sure it's fiber. Look at the physical tab it will have a module labeled 1 fe fx.
  • Options
    I just set up a FX card in PT ( FX is a dead give away to fiber btw) and the link is red...guess they may have changed it or I am just a idiot...probably the latter icon_rolleyes.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In PT, click on the cable connections button on the bottom left corner, when you mouse over the cable types, it will give you a description of the cable. To remove a cable from your topology, click once or twice in the white workspace, select the delete button (x) on the right side of the screen, click on the cable you want to delete.

hth