Routers for CCNP home lab

matlmatl Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I want to buy routers to build a home lab to help me pass my CCNP. I'd like to know if i should buy 2600 series routers or will 2500's will do the job?
I will also get one or two 2950 switch.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Those are the primary series for the current CCNP exams, but a couple of additional 25XX routers is always useful (especially for BSCI when practicing routing protocols). An additional switch is ideal, to practice trunking, VTP, and end-to-end VLANs for example.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out this link: http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/HOME%20LAB%20Building%20One.htm

It features some information to get started.

I just started buying my CCNP lab and so far I got four 250x and I'm looking for a 2520 and two 2912 or 2916.

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • matlmatl Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Will i be able to do everything in CCNP with the 2500 series? I plan to get 3 or 4 routers.
  • dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    matl wrote:
    Will i be able to do everything in CCNP with the 2500 series? I plan to get 3 or 4 routers.

Maybe not inter-vlan routing. I'm playing around with CCNP material in my spare time. This is what I use:

-2612 (with 2 wicT1 cards)
    -two 2501s
    -2522 (for frame relay)
    -2514 switch (think thats the model)

You could probably get away with a 2514 (egay $300) switch, 2612 ($170) and 2501 ($60)

I don't even like to think on the amount of money I've dropped into my lab. I could have bought a brand new motorcycle icon_rolleyes.gif
    Ok thanks. I already have two 2501. So i'll try to get at least one 2612. As for the switch, i have a friend selling me one 2950 and i'll get another switch to practice more stuff.
    matl wrote:
    Ok thanks. I already have two 2501. So i'll try to get at least one 2612. As for the switch, i have a friend selling me one 2950 and i'll get another switch to practice more stuff.

That should be good enough I'm guessing. The 2950 is a good switch. Just to save you some time: I think they only do 802.1q for VLANs. Also, you need a certain IOS to get inter-vlan functionality on the 2600 routers with 10mb interfaces. I think it's 12.2T or something like that. Let me know when you get it setup and I can check
  • QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    The 12.3 series IOS can cover the Inter-Vlan routing with a 10mb interface. Plus, I believe someone posted something about this in the NA forum.

Personally, I wouldnt get a 2612 because that is a 10mb TR router. You do not need TR unless you are practicing it for your own personal needs. 2612 Token Ring is a cheaper router but not needed for any studies. Also, try to at least get one FE router 262x or a 36xx router with at least 1fe on it. That would be much more useful than the 2612. Everyone understands regarding price though so everyone has their limitations.

For CCNP, you really dont need a boat load of 25xx routers. You should focus on a frame relay router, a terminal serv router, a couple of 2503s for ISDN and maybe one or two more 2501s just for backbone routing and then the rest should be 26xx or 36xx routers.

Note: I definitely understand about the "new motorcycle" comment. My lab consists of:
    2 - 3550 ( These are too expensive but for future studies)
    2 - 2950 ( I bought these before my 3550s)
    2 - 2912 ( I wish I didnt get these but I got them for my CCNA studies)
    2 - 2501
    3 - 2503
    1 - 2511-RJ (Terminal Server)
    1 - 2504 (Got it for 10 dollars)
    1 - 2612 (TR side of this router is useless for studying)
    1 - 2610
    1 - 2621
    2 - 3640 (1 - NM-1E2W and 1 - NM-2FE2W with 8 A/S)

I think I need to get rid of some routers just bc they take up space and I rarely use them.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
    QUIX0TIC wrote:

Note: I definitely understand about the "new motorcycle" comment. My lab consists of:
    2 - 3550 ( These are too expensive but for future studies)
    2 - 2950 ( I bought these before my 3550s)
    2 - 2501
    3 - 2503
    1 - 2511-RJ (Terminal Server)
    1 - 2504 (Got it for 10 dollars)
    1 - 2612 (TR side of this router is useless for studying)
    1 - 2610
    1 - 2621
    2 - 3640 (1 - NM-1E2W and 1 - NM-2FE2W with 8 A/S)

I think I need to get rid of some routers just bc they take up space and I rarely use them.
    2 - 3640 (1 with

Yikes, that is a lot of equipment icon_eek.gif

Mine are:

2-2501
    2-2514
    2-2612
    2-2924xl
    1-2950
    1-2522
    1-2513
    1-pix 501

Then I have about 9 pc's and a few servers on top of that. My meter man thinks I'm growing marijuana.
    Thanks guys. One more question: Does the 2620 has a Fast Ethernet built-in port? If so, what's the difference between the 2620 and 2621?
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    matl wrote:
    Thanks guys. One more question: Does the 2620 has a Fast Ethernet built-in port? If so, what's the difference between the 2620 and 2621?

yes, only diff is 2620 has 1 fe
    2621 has 2 fe

fe(fast ethernet)
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2500's will do just fine , but what's the logical next step ?
    yes a CCIE lab !!!
    you can build a small ccnp lab then grow it into a ccie lab.
    rm -rf /
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    QUIX0TIC wrote:

Whats the downfall of the 2912s for CCNP lab? I just bought two 2924 XL EN's
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    QUIX0TIC wrote:
    The 12.3 series IOS can cover the Inter-Vlan routing with a 10mb interface. Plus, I believe someone posted something about this in the NA forum.

Yeah, a few things related to the right IOS, etc. for implementing VLANs has transpired in this discussion:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9925
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
    darkuser wrote:
    yes a CCIE lab !!!

I'm thinking CCIE after CCNP so that's why i prefer to spend more to have a good lab. I don't want to buy everyhing again after i'm done with CCNP.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    matl wrote:
    darkuser wrote:
    yes a CCIE lab !!!

I'm thinking CCIE after CCNP so that's why i prefer to spend more to have a good lab. I don't want to buy everyhing again after i'm done with CCNP.

Well, I just sold my rack...and this is why. It was a mixture of 2500s, 2600s, and 4500s. I also had 1900, 3550 (EMI), and 2950....ISDN Simulator....and a few other things....This will get you through a lot of the exams, but when preparing for the IE, you want it to be like the real rack (same equipment and IOS). Trying to keep up with that will make you go broke. Also, when you buy these 2500s /2600s and sit on them a while....expect to lose quite a bit of money on them if you get rid of them.

When I sold my rack, I used the money to buy time slots on proctorlabs.com. They have all the devices and IOSs needed for the IE Labs...and they are ready for the Lab change come January 1.

I am not saying to spend your money there.....Just check out all the options before you spend all your money on a rack that may not work for you in the future........What is your ultimate goal?

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    yeah I'm with ya.
    in all I have some 10 2500's all upgraded memory and flash.
    I have 2 355012t's borrowed from work.
    2501's, 2503's 2514's, a 2520 , 2522 , 4500.
    isdn simulator
    and no money for 2600's !!!

my stuff is offline as I am currently rennovating my house.
    as soon as that's done i'm going to set it all back up (arround holloween)
    re-take the written and it's full speed ahead !!!.

I use
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com products
    they are really the best
    brian and brian rock.
    rm -rf /
    Ten9t6, thanks for the advice. My ultimate goal is the CCIE. The more i look at it, the more i see a IE lab cost alot. I never looked at the option of buying rack time on a site. Is this option good enough to prepare for the IE lab?
    matl wrote:
    Ten9t6, thanks for the advice. My ultimate goal is the CCIE. The more i look at it, the more i see a IE lab cost alot. I never looked at the option of buying rack time on a site. Is this option good enough to prepare for the IE lab?

haha...I hope so..that is what I am using. icon_wink.gif

If you actually look at the lab manuals that you can buy for the CCIE Lab, it is quite expensive to set your rack up to cover all the labs. Most of the online rack rental places set there racks up to support the Lab Manuals for sale. Example: I have the IPExpert Lab Manual v7 and I am taking their bootcamp.....Proctorlabs.com has their online racks setup per the lab manuals that IPExpert sells. So, all I have to do is get the manual and book some time......If I would have put the money into online time that I put into my rack, I would have been able to purchase 1500 hours on a CCIE level rack w/ all the bells and whistles....And I could access it from anywhere on the internet.

There several companies out there that do this...just do the research. Hope this helps..

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    I see that getting a IE home lab is very expensive.

Ten9t6, for someone starting CCNP, what would you do? Build a home lab for the CCNP, sell everything after, then buy rack time for CCIE? Or not getting a home lab at all? Thanks.
    matl wrote:
    I see that getting a IE home lab is very expensive.

Ten9t6, for someone starting CCNP, what would you do? Build a home lab for the CCNP, sell everything after, then buy rack time for CCIE? Or not getting a home lab at all? Thanks.

If it were me...and I was starting over...I would look at a rack just to get used to the hardware connections. After I had an understanding of that, I would buy CCNP Lab manuals w/ online rack access. But that is just me. Others like to have the stuff right in front of them.

Kenny
    Kenny

Do you know a site that offers CCNP online rack access or the CCIE ones would be good to for CCNP?
    i think ipexpert has an online ccnp program .....
    rm -rf /
    When I was looking, Hello Computers used to have one...but they no longer do Cisco. I am sure there are still some out there. But...If you can do the IE level ones, you can pass the exams. You will just need to separate the labs...switching...routing....and so on..

Kenny
    Kenny

hello computers has had nda problems.
    cisco spanked them

they were helping people a little too much if ya know what i mean
    rm -rf /
    Yup.....I think it was specifically their voice track.

I think someone had a few off their CCIE's yanked from them. icon_eek.gif All that work down the tubes...you have to watch that NDA. I would hate to have an IE pulled from me.....not to mention multiple IEs. It is sad.

I have talked to a couple of their old instructors.(before all of this)....They are very smart individuals....Someone just made some bad choices.

Kenny
    Kenny

• alexgnealexgne Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought 5x 2503 routers today. It was a good deal. I am planning to set up a lab for ccnp. I am wondering if 3 routers will be enough for the lab because I want to sell the other 2 :)
  • cisco_joncisco_jon Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    matl wrote:
    darkuser wrote:
    yes a CCIE lab !!!

Well, I just sold my rack...and this is why. It was a mixture of 2500s, 2600s, and 4500s. I also had 1900, 3550 (EMI), and 2950....ISDN Simulator....and a few other things....This will get you through a lot of the exams, but when preparing for the IE, you want it to be like the real rack (same equipment and IOS). Trying to keep up with that will make you go broke. Also, when you buy these 2500s /2600s and sit on them a while....expect to lose quite a bit of money on them if you get rid of them.

When I sold my rack, I used the money to buy time slots on proctorlabs.com. They have all the devices and IOSs needed for the IE Labs...and they are ready for the Lab change come January 1.

I am not saying to spend your money there.....Just check out all the options before you spend all your money on a rack that may not work for you in the future........What is your ultimate goal?

Kenny

A think it depends how you sell you equipment on ebay, alot of people sell it in kits. I have recently sold some of my routers as I wanted to upgrade some to 2600 range and I actually made money on the routers I sold. For example bought a cisco 2503 for £28 upgraded DRAM put 12.2 IOS and sold it for £55 Bought 2522 for £70 upgraded IOS sold for £100 and bought 2501 for £40 and sold for £50. I guess it depends how much you buy kit for in the first place. I would watch auctions for a good period of time as prices do fluctuate.