Next Up: GPEN

ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
A coworker of mine allowed me to use his Check Point material (original books) for CCSA R70, so I was planning on studying for it right after GCFW. It turns out that CCSA R70 has been retired as R71 is already out, so it looks like I won't be able to do my CCSA anytime soon.

With that said, I was also originally considering GCFA as my last SANS course this year, but after giving it some serious thought, I decided to do the GPEN instead. I won't be doing any forensic analysis anytime soon as that is handled by our police department (I work for local gov), so I can always tackle GCFA in the near future.

To be honest with you I was torn between GPEN and GWAPT, but after weighting pros and cons, GPEN seems to make a lot more sense, especially since I am considering a GSE attempt next year.

So, my schedule for the rest of the year is as follows: GPEN, CISSP. I have already scheduled and paid for the CISSP attempt, which will be Nov 19th. Having a solid foundation from GCIH should definitely help with GPEN, so I do not anticipate it will take me that long to accomplish. With a bit of luck, I will knock GPEN down in (2) months and still have plenty of time for my CISSP studies.

Edit: I forgot to mention UPS delivered the books for SANS 560 (GPEN) yesterday along with my GCFW certificate, so I am good to go! Time to hit the books again.
Every day hurts, the last one kills.

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck on your studies and challenge! Can we get a review of the materials and exam after? :)
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • iVictoriVictor Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you liked GCIH, I am sure you'll enjoy GPEN.
    This is the Right Time
  • idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    How is your GPEN going, I am working on mine right now expected to take it end of July.

P.S. I also passed my GCIH recently.

Also if anyone has a practice test for GPEN i would be very greatful...
  • ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    idr0p wrote: »
    How is your GPEN going, I am working on mine right now expected to take it end of July.

P.S. I also passed my GCIH recently.

Also if anyone has a practice test for GPEN i would be very greatful...

Congrats on passing GCIH and GCIA respectively. I just passed GPEN today, please see my 'review' of the exam here for more info.

Today is your lucky day as I do have an extra practice exam to give away. PM me your account name at the SANS portal and I will do the rest. Good luck!
    Awesome! Thank you very much! This is much appreciated! I have pm'd you
    once again thanks!
    Awesome! Thank you very much! This is much appreciated! I have pm'd you
    once again thanks!

I PASSED! Thanks again IPChain!
  • ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    I PASSED! Thanks again IPChain!

Congratulations on the pass! It's quite impressive what you have been able to do without the course materials.

Good job!