Options

Sessions, clients, & licenses in XenApp5 Win2003

7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm in a XenApp 5 for Windows 2003 class & have to take the 1Y0-A23 exam next Friday. I guess due to the short nature of the class the instructor seems to just gloss over some things & doesn't seem to really care if we understand anything or not & basically just wants to try & make us able to pass the test. I plan to complain about it on the evaluation at the end of the class, but for now I'm just trying to work on my own outside of class to actually learn some of this stuff.

Because of his unwillingness to explain things I don't have a lot of faith that some of the things he says are actually true, so I wanted to ask about it here...

He has basically said that when a client connects to the XenApp server each published application that client constitutes a session & each session requires a license. So, if a client connected & had Outlook, Word, & Excel opened then that would constitute 3 sessions & require 3 licenses. Is this correct?

In the glossary of the book it says "The session consists of the status of the connection, the server resources allocated to the user for the duration of the session and any applications executed during the session." That to me makes it sound like multiple applications would be part of a single session.

I appreciate any clarification I can get.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your professor is a moron. XenApp uses a concurrent user license model and XenApp Fundamentals uses a named isntance license model. You can buy XenDesktop and get XenApp with a number of different options but let's not go there for now.

Regular old XenApp requires you to license for how many users you will have connected at one time. If you have 100 users that will connect to XenApp but only 10 will be in at one time them you only need to buy 10 licenses. You do NOT need to license for each application session, just one session per user.
    7lowe wrote: »
    I'm in a XenApp 5 for Windows 2003 class & have to take the 1Y0-A23 exam next Friday. I guess due to the short nature of the class the instructor seems to just gloss over some things & doesn't seem to really care if we understand anything or not & basically just wants to try & make us able to pass the test. I plan to complain about it on the evaluation at the end of the class, but for now I'm just trying to work on my own outside of class to actually learn some of this stuff.

Because of his unwillingness to explain things I don't have a lot of faith that some of the things he says are actually true, so I wanted to ask about it here...

He has basically said that when a client connects to the XenApp server each published application that client constitutes a session & each session requires a license. So, if a client connected & had Outlook, Word, & Excel opened then that would constitute 3 sessions & require 3 licenses. Is this correct?

In the glossary of the book it says "The session consists of the status of the connection, the server resources allocated to the user for the duration of the session and any applications executed during the session." That to me makes it sound like multiple applications would be part of a single session.

I appreciate any clarification I can get.

Thanks,
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • Options
    7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I was fairly certain that through self study that he was wrong on that as well as a number of other issues.

He kind of bragged that he passed the cert test with 74% & so far only one student has done better scoring 75%. Based on that & my time in class I'm assuming that 26% of what he's telling us is wrong & it's no wonder his students have a hard time doing better.

I am mostly just trying to learn it on my own as I think I'm getting a much better understanding of it that way rather than listening to him.

Will report back on Friday with my results after taking the test.