ASA Firewalls

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
Guys,

I have a project to do where I only have to learn about ASA firewalls and how to configure them.

I'm learning my CCNA and i'm only couple of weeks away from finishing, but understand all the concepts.

Are there any labs or tutorials which can help me get grips with ASA?

Thanks

Comments

• ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you have any experience managing firewalls? When I was first thrown into ASA environment, the combination of previous experiences with MS ISA, Cisco IOS firewalls, iptables, and home-grade firewalls was sufficient to minimize the initial learning curve.

"Cisco ASA: All-in-One Firewall, ..." by Jazib Frahim and Omar Santos is a good book, often recommended by TE'-ers here. I referred to it a couple times and quite liked it.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    Do you have any experience managing firewalls? When I was first thrown into ASA environment, the combination of previous experiences with MS ISA, Cisco IOS firewalls, iptables, and home-grade firewalls was sufficient to minimize the initial learning curve.

"Cisco ASA: All-in-One Firewall, ..." by Jazib Frahim and Omar Santos is a good book, often recommended by TE'-ers here. I referred to it a couple times and quite liked it.

Thanks,

Are there any online guides?
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Stuff from Cisco.com. The book mentioned is a great resource I would not skip it.

Product Info

Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances Product Literature - Cisco Systems

Technotes/Configs

Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances Configure - Cisco Systems
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    Cisco ASA Configuration (Networking Professional's Library)
    Check for it on Amazon. Its a pretty good book for learning how to setup and configure an ASA. Also checkout cisco.com they have tons of step by step config examples.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□

+1, our firewall guys have one of these on their desks constantly :).
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Both of the books mentioned are very good and you will be satisfied with either one.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    ^ that book is the Bible of ASA.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□

I manage 130+ ASA firewalls and you bet your behind I have one of these on my desk. :)
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
    Thanks Guys.

I've has a play with the firewalls at work.

We only use 5505 and 5510 and I understand the simple config as from CCNA.

Are there any sims software like packet tracer for the firewalls which I could use.

Also I know you guys mention the books and web site but are they any labs for example vpn etc...

Thanks
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lon21 wrote: »
    Are there any sims software like packet tracer for the firewalls which I could use.

GNS3 does the ASA.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    as a side note, today's Cisco Press deal of the day is the new Cisco Firewalls book that was published back in June, I'd recommend grabbing it, since it's only 10 bucks.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    as a side note, today's Cisco Press deal of the day is the new Cisco Firewalls book that was published back in June, I'd recommend grabbing it, since it's only 10 bucks.

I grabbed it a few hours ago.. It's nice to see them change the ebook DotD line up..

(I ment to post that on these forums but you beat me to it)

Link here http://www.ciscopress.com/deals/index.asp
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    Thanks Guys,

I've just brought the book.