Passed SY0-201

CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
Used the Comptia Get Certified Get Ahead Security + book and that is it. Had to get Security + as it is now a DoD requirement and I have taken a job with the DoD. Don't want to let my Security Clearance expire :)

Good luck to all!

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • djllcdjllc Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, I've been in the IT world for about 20 years so I'm an old dude. I work for the DOD and as most of you know they require some type of certification.

I was certified for Microsoft Win95, Windows 2000, and got my CCNA back in 2003. I failed the security + test back in 2008. I took a DOD sponsored Security Plus course and then studied the book for a month. Also bought Transcender tests which turned out to be worthless. After my month of studying I took the exam and missed it by 1 or 2 questions.

anyway, I've been studying the Darril Gibson book for this round and I've been studying for about one month now. I can do the tests and score nearly 95-100% on the pretest, chapter tests, and final test. But then I go out to the internet for other practice tests and I'm like wth?

Also, my co-worker recently passed this exam and said there were a bunch of questions on specific virus types (armored, stealth, retro, etc...) where in Darril's book none of this is covered. Obviously I went to other sources to read up on this material.

I'm scheduled to take my test next Thursday but now I'm freaking out because I don't know if passing the tests in Darril's book is good enough or I need other sources. You know you can overstudy and get too much material and then confuse yourself more.

Can someone tell me if the book's questions are similar to what is found on the real 201 exam? I am *not* just trying to memorize but I think I'm getting more confused by possibly getting in too deep on multiple topics.

Thanks!!
  • zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 301 exam has newer questions on virtualization and cloud based technologies that are not covered in the 201. It also goes a little deeper into malware and viruses. You should be fine with Gibson's book on the 201.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1