Revamping 2011 Plans

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
Well, it is a little over half-way through 2011, and in battle a plan never survives first contact. Is anyone changing their certification plans that they may have set for themselves at the beginning of the year?

Here was my original 2011 plan:
CCNA Security - Completed February
CCSP/CCNP Security - Completed May
CEH - Completed April
PMP
VCP
CCIE Security Written

I have always been a jack-of-all trades so it really wasn't a shocker, but I am wrapping up a huge NetOps deployment (over $2M project) and I was thrown the task of doing an Exchange 2003 to 2010 migration for the same organization, which will also be about a $2M project. So, priorities have shifted a bit, but not too much.

Remainder of 2011 plans:
MCITP: EMA 2010 (already completed 70-663)
PMP
VCP
MCM Exchange 2010 Written???

Either way, definitely ambitious. I have been putting off 70-662 because I decided to do a deep dive on Exchange and as I uncover what will be necessary for this deployment, I realize that I am going to pick up many of the skills necessary for the MCM. So, I am going to be attending the Exchange 2010 Maestro training put on by Tony Redmond and Paul Robichaux and do a lot of self study and go for the written exam. Microsoft invited me to participate in the original MCM Active Directory when it first came out, but I was just too busy and didn't really see the value in it. Now that I am working with large enterprise deployments, I see it clear as day. I hope that it takes me to a point where I am the "go to guy" for Exchange with my company and I get to do high-level designs for lots of projects mostly remotely and do short trips to assist teams doing these deployments around the country, and the world.

Anyhow, what changes have you all undertaken?
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    powerfool wrote: »

I set out my certification goals a few years ago, and overall, my slippage has only been about six months, which isn't bad considered I went through a job change and some work mandated training and certification that put me off my game. I'm actually ahead of schedule from the last time I revised my plans, which was last October.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My plans have been all over the place.

ITIL V3 Expert
    PMP
    CAPM
    Community College
    Grad School

I think I am officially going with Graduate school. I've been accepted to Webster University and my parents offered to pay for my school. That has always been a deal between us, if I wanted to get an education they would pay for it. So it's looking like Master of Science in Finance. It's really the only one I see any value in personally for me.

So....... I'm with you PF and hopefully this will be it. I have 3 preq courses to take and then another 36 hours of courses. If I make it through this I can promise you this will be it. This will be my one and last certification :)

I just don't see much value in certifications anymore. Not at least in my space.

My last comment to add. I have been so busy with 1 engagement and prepping for 2 more projects I don't have much time. I am still at work and still have 2-3 hours worth of work left. It was a hardship to get ITIL Service Transition to be honest. I had a lot of nights where I would go into my kids room and look at them knowing I didn't get a chance to say goodnight. It really knocked reality into me and made me take a step back. Anyway it's quite possible work could be my last certification ;)
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mine have been super random and then I changed jobs. I now am after:

CCNP
    CWNA
    CWSP
    L+ maybe

I'd also like to pick up CCDA and do a few training course (offensive security or elearn pro). My goals are between now and graduation (next August) so I have some time.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    ...This will be my one and last certification :)...

Noooooooo!

Your last? I dread the day when I wake up and decide not to do anything further. As far as education goes... I am finishing up the MS, and then it is onto the EMBA. However, after that.... maybe a JD or a PhD... and maybe when I am only I go back to school for Architecture, as that was my first passion.

As far as certs go... new ones are going to keep coming out for newer products... and I have my Cisco stuff to renew.

Also, I may throw in CISSP-ISSEP later this year, if time permits. My course this coming semester has a ton of overlap with it, so why not?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My plan was 70-647 (to finish MCITP:EA) > ICND1 > ICND2 > CISSP. I ended up doing 70-647 and 70-646. I also switched jobs in April and leading some projects, I am adding Exchange and Lync to the mix. As a result I am pushing ICND2 and CISSP to 2012.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    My plans were going well, then I took a new job.. All for the better though.

I'll probably be looking into another Cisco cert.. CCDP or CCNP: Sec.. Depending how much BGP/MPLS/QoS I have to deal with I may look into the CCIP.. but CCDP is very likely.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    Noooooooo!

Your last? I dread the day when I wake up and decide not to do anything further. As far as education goes... I am finishing up the MS, and then it is onto the EMBA. However, after that.... maybe a JD or a PhD... and maybe when I am only I go back to school for Architecture, as that was my first passion.

As far as certs go... new ones are going to keep coming out for newer products... and I have my Cisco stuff to renew.

Also, I may throw in CISSP-ISSEP later this year, if time permits. My course this coming semester has a ton of overlap with it, so why not?

Okay I take it back ;)

But I really do want to focus on finance and this could be a 2+ year goal.
    Job changes seem to be a big cause for these changes and that makes sense; my new project is like a job change as I am not working for the same client within the company. Before I took this job, I was planning on doing the MCITP: EA and then this gig came along and I did CISSP > MCSE 2003 > MCSE Security > MCITP: EA. So yeah, I definitely know the game. I may also throw in MCITP: VA in there as I already have the PRO exam under my belt... did that for the free TechNet subscription when Microsoft accidentally sent out the emails for free exams and then pulled the offer back.
    Okay I take it back ;)

But I really do want to focus on finance and this could be a 2+ year goal.

It's a good goal. Finance is the one area that most IT managers need to focus on. That is why I think I would focus on Finance in my MBA if I had a choice of concentration... which isn't the case in the program I am planning to pursue. I had a Finance course in my undergrad, but it was the teachers first course and she didn't want to cover stocks because she didn't know anything about them. The course was pretty much a nightmare because of her lack of preparation... One of the lowest grades that I received for my entire undergrad; I have thought about going back and retaking the class to bump my GPA a little but they have since changed it from a 4 credit course to a 3 credit course and it wouldn't replace it now.
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    Noooooooo!

Be aware that a JD will cost you well over $100k and it will hurt you. The JD will make you less employable in the eyes of most hiring managers in a field outside of law, it is like a scarlet letter. Avoid at all costs ... just ask any recent law school grad trying to make it in a career outside of legal practice.

There comes a point where you have to decide that enough is enough. There is much more to life than work and school, you only have so much time.
    It's a good goal. Finance is the one area that most IT managers need to focus on. That is why I think I would focus on Finance in my MBA if I had a choice of concentration... which isn't the case in the program I am planning to pursue. I had a Finance course in my undergrad, but it was the teachers first course and she didn't want to cover stocks because she didn't know anything about them. The course was pretty much a nightmare because of her lack of preparation... One of the lowest grades that I received for my entire undergrad; I have thought about going back and retaking the class to bump my GPA a little but they have since changed it from a 4 credit course to a 3 credit course and it wouldn't replace it now.

FYI Now I want to do ITIL V3 Expert again LOL icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
    I have noticed in the past few days that this forum gets indexed VERY quickly. I was doing a search on Exchange 2010 Maestro today and this thread showed up within the first two pages. Another thread that I commented on was listed for another topic, as well.

In regards to the JD, c'mon... if I don't list my JD, it certainly won't hurt. Also, the JD is extremely strategic; I want to be an executive at a Fortune 1000 or 500 company... the JD is HIGHLY recognized there.
    FYI Now I want to do ITIL V3 Expert again LOL icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

The train keeps rolling :)
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had a ton of plans for 2011 - ditched all certs for now sadly.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□

Correct me if I am wrong but it took you 3 months to finish all 4 CCNP Security tests with no material out yet? I am not accusing you of anything i have no interest in that, i am solely interested in how you got it done since i am following in the same path.

Which test did you find most difficult? Right now i see the topics of the new VPN exam quite heavy!

I have been on course with my year schedule, i probably might knock out the VPN exam before the end of the year. Takes me like 3 to 4 months average for each exam.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    chrisone wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but it took you 3 months to finish all 4 CCNP Security tests with no material out yet? I am not accusing you of anything i have no interest in that, i am solely interested in how you got it done since i am following in the same path.

Since he's listing both, CCSP and CCNP Security, I doubt he did all 4 CCNP Security exams. Given that the last day to test for most of the CCSP exams was the beginning of April, I'd guess he had some CCSP exams under his belt, and had to pass one, maybe 2 of the new exams to complete. That's plausible.

And then there's the simple fact that the CCNP Security exams didn't necessarily need their own study material. I'm sure that there was quite a bit of overlap from the CCSP material, and it's not like there weren't already books dedicated to the subjects the exams cover, so there was material to learn. Assuming someone couldn't pass the CCNP Security exams without branded CCNP Security material is like assuming people can't pass the CCIE R&S without reading the Odom Cisco Press book.

Now, with that being said, I do agree that it kind of looks suspicious, especially with CEH in between the CCNA Security and CCNP Security. All depends, if he has years of relevant experience, I'd buy it. If he's a complete newb, I wouldn't.
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    It was around March this year that I decided to get back into the books. The original plan for 2011 was for MCITP: EDA7, MCITP:SA, ITIL-F, Sec+

Maybe a little ambitious given its a 9 month plan, I feel theres a little slippage creeping in, but I'd be happy to obtain the 5 MS certs. (2 down, 3 to go)
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    I have noticed in the past few days that this forum gets indexed VERY quickly. I was doing a search on Exchange 2010 Maestro today and this thread showed up within the first two pages. Another thread that I commented on was listed for another topic, as well.

In regards to the JD, c'mon... if I don't list my JD, it certainly won't hurt. Also, the JD is extremely strategic; I want to be an executive at a Fortune 1000 or 500 company... the JD is HIGHLY recognized there.

Buyer beware, if you want to be an executive get an MBA at Harvard. Your JD will get you nothing but suspicion and the inevitable "so, why aren't you practicing law?" from the hiring manager. After my non-technical undergrad years ago I had the choice of going for my MS or JD. Many of my friends went the JD route and are having a horrible time in their careers. If they are even lucky enough to get an interview they are asked the question mentioned previously and rarely get a call back. The only way they found non-legal work was to leave it off their resumes.

Go for it man, you'll find out.
    chrisone wrote: »

Which test did you find most difficult? Right now i see the topics of the new VPN exam quite heavy!

I have been on course with my year schedule, i probably might knock out the VPN exam before the end of the year. Takes me like 3 to 4 months average for each exam.

I completed the old exams exactly because there was no material out yet. I took the Skillsoft online live courses. Plus, I have lots of ASA experience. Surprisingly, I found the IPS exam to be the easiest, despite not having any practical experience with the technology (althought lots of theory). The ASA Advanced was the toughest for me. SNRS was pretty easy as well, as there was tons of overlap with the CCNA Security exam, IINS. That is what really helped me move through quickly. While it looks like I moved fast, I had been studying for IINS and SNRS since November of last year. I took the ASA exams pretty close together, and then I took the IPS exam the last week before it was retired. So, it is a little more spread out than you might imagine.
    Now, with that being said, I do agree that it kind of looks suspicious, especially with CEH in between the CCNA Security and CCNP Security. All depends, if he has years of relevant experience, I'd buy it. If he's a complete newb, I wouldn't.

Well, I have been in IT for a dozen years... and I have been working with the Cisco PIX since 2001, and then the ASA when it came out. The CEH is a cake exam... especially after going through the rigor of the CISSP, even though they are very different exams; honestly, I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the training I went to and the exam itself. My company brought in a trainer for the CEH and we sat through class for a week. Beyond that... I know all the common TCP ports... NMAP, and all of the general security theory fairly well... heck, the CCNA Security's coverage of port security helps out with the CEH as well.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Assuming someone couldn't pass the CCNP Security exams without branded CCNP Security material is like assuming people can't pass the CCIE R&S without reading the Odom Cisco Press book.

There was no assumption of any sort, only a question, in order to help myself in the same journey.

About the CEH comment, i honestly have no interest in suspicious activity. I do agree with experience anyone can accomplish so much in little time.
    I completed the old exams exactly because there was no material out yet. I took the Skillsoft online live courses. Plus, I have lots of ASA experience. Surprisingly, I found the IPS exam to be the easiest, despite not having any practical experience with the technology (althought lots of theory). The ASA Advanced was the toughest for me. SNRS was pretty easy as well, as there was tons of overlap with the CCNA Security exam, IINS. That is what really helped me move through quickly. While it looks like I moved fast, I had been studying for IINS and SNRS since November of last year. I took the ASA exams pretty close together, and then I took the IPS exam the last week before it was retired. So, it is a little more spread out than you might imagine.

Thanks for the response it gave me a better idea of the exams. I too agree the IINS overlaps heavily with the Security or older SRNS exam. Just reading the new Security cert guide is like an overlap review in helping me study for the CCNA Security which i will be taking soon. I have been working with ASA's for about 4 years now myself, so i dont think it will be that hard of an exam. IPS doesnt seem that complex, i got a lot of theory from the CCDP exam. The VPN exam seems like a lot of technologies , it seems to be the hardest one of them all and being that I design and work with VPN tunnels with ASA's and IOS on a daily basis. There is just so much in that book, the TOC intimidated me, like the first time i started studying for the BSCI, in CCNP, back in the day lol

Anyways i hope i can knock out half of the CCNP Security by December, i plan to finish reading the Secure book by end of September and I can also start the VPN studies in september with a little overlap in my Secure studies. The last few chapters of the Secure book is IOS VPN technologies anyways , so it works out :)
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    Well, I have been in IT for a dozen years... and I have been working with the Cisco PIX since 2001, and then the ASA when it came out. The CEH is a cake exam... especially after going through the rigor of the CISSP, even though they are very different exams; honestly, I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the training I went to and the exam itself. My company brought in a trainer for the CEH and we sat through class for a week. Beyond that... I know all the common TCP ports... NMAP, and all of the general security theory fairly well... heck, the CCNA Security's coverage of port security helps out with the CEH as well.

Yup, that's about what I figured. I'd gathered from your other posts that you were experienced, so it's not terribly surprising. I'm pretty sure I could move through the Security level exams at the same pace if I were so inclined, but that's because it's backed by alot of overlap from my other studies on the theory side, and alot of practical experience from my jobs. If you have some background in the field, the Cisco exams are really not that difficult. Also given the level of education you've been relating, you've developed effective study habits.

There are alot of folks out there that have been doing the work for many years and never bothered with certification before, but changed their minds when they realized the job market had gotten tight, and they needed an extra bump to get past the HR filters.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hah, my 2011 certification plans ..... were absolutely nuts.

I began the year deciding I wanted to get further into networking, and this was my plan to do it:

1. Get a clearance
    2. Once I gain the clearance, transfer to a networking job.

Plannedl:

1. CISSP
    2. ITIL
    3. MCTS: Exchange 2010
    4. VCP
    5. Begin Master's in Information Systems at American Sentinel University

Actual:

1. CISSP
    2. ITIL
    3. CCNA
    4. CCNA-Security
    5. Begin Master's in Information Security and Assurance at Western Governor's University

Task about Crazy! I had actually been accepted to American Sentinel, when I cancelled and went to WGU instead.

I guess I could technically list Security+ at the top of that list, but I hadn't made any plans to certify any further until after I changed jobs.

I specifically got the Security+, so I could apply for the DoD jobs, and get a clearance.

So basically, I went to one job, and it looked like I was going to be on a messaging team, so it looked smart to certify towards the next version of Exchange, and might as well throw in the VCP, considering I'd had the authorized course for it last summer (I took that particular course on purpose, just so I had the later flexibility.). The CISSP and ITIL were no-brainers, just considering I was in the DoD environment again.

I wasn't planning to change jobs until an opportunity presented itself, and once it did, I left, as it was part of my plan.

I actually at one point went over to RTP to interview at Cisco, but that one fell through, which was actually the best thing that could have happened for me. It inspired me to get off my butt and apply myself even harder, and in the next couple months, I took the CCNA, then the CCNA-Security. While I was studying for the CCNA, I remembered a guy had emailed me back in February about a Network Security gig, but I somehow felt that I wasn't ready for it at the time. This time, I emailed him, confidence in myself restored (for whatever reason, I had lost it at one point), and I told him that I wanted that job.

Next week, I interview. Two weeks later, I'm at my new gig.

So, my plan fell together nicely, just wasn't sure of the time scale of when it would occur.

So now, I'm just looking at working on the Firewall v 1.0, but not too sure I can clear NP Security prior to the end of the year. I just started up my Master's, and time will be tight on studying, unless I can get shifted to mids or night shift :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, it is a little over half-way through 2011, and in battle a plan never survives first contact. Is anyone changing their certification plans that they may have set for themselves at the beginning of the year?

CEH - Completed April
    PMP
    VCP
    CCIE Security Written

I have always been a jack-of-all trades so it really wasn't a shocker, but I am wrapping up a huge NetOps deployment (over $2M project) and I was thrown the task of doing an Exchange 2003 to 2010 migration for the same organization, which will also be about a $2M project. So, priorities have shifted a bit, but not too much.

Remainder of 2011 plans:
    MCITP: EMA 2010 (already completed 70-663)
    PMP
    VCP
    MCM Exchange 2010 Written???

Either way, definitely ambitious. I have been putting off 70-662 because I decided to do a deep dive on Exchange and as I uncover what will be necessary for this deployment, I realize that I am going to pick up many of the skills necessary for the MCM. So, I am going to be attending the Exchange 2010 Maestro training put on by Tony Redmond and Paul Robichaux and do a lot of self study and go for the written exam. Microsoft invited me to participate in the original MCM Active Directory when it first came out, but I was just too busy and didn't really see the value in it. Now that I am working with large enterprise deployments, I see it clear as day. I hope that it takes me to a point where I am the "go to guy" for Exchange with my company and I get to do high-level designs for lots of projects mostly remotely and do short trips to assist teams doing these deployments around the country, and the world.

No changes here, still plodding along with CCIE studies. They remain background task at this time as Im so engaged at work. Only when they assist my architecture work I return tothem. So long as I can lead the design team to a successful outcome on the DC refresh project the next 12 months Im happy. Design and deploy a Nationwide MPLS core and wholescale migration of customers to it.
    The train keeps rolling :)

Hiliarous!
    Registered for WGU for their IT DB program. Pretty excited, this one I am sticking with. I was banging out the certifications, so I want to channel that energy into another bachelors degree. Eventually I will make the step to masters level. Maybe after my 3rd bachelors degree. Just kidding.

Bottomline I like to learn and this is another way of doing so.....