Exam 70-660: Win Internals for IT - Resources

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
This thread will be a resource for the 70-660 exam. Here is how I expect to structure it:

Part I - Prereqs
* tutorials on the Fundamentsl of Memory Management, I/O etc.
* Understanding how to work with the Sysinternals tools. Practical tutiorials on how to use the major Sysinternals tools.
* Tutorials/artciles corresponding to material in the 50155A course.

Part II 70-660 Objectives.
I'll cover the objectives detailled in the MS page for the exam.
Audience ProfileCandidates for this exam are engineers, developers, or IT staff who work with Windows at a level that requires Windows Internals knowledge. Candidates for this exam are typically in the upper echelon of the technical staff at their companies. These individuals typically hold such positions as escalation engineer, technical lead, and software design engineer. Their level of knowledge spans products both inside and outside the Microsoft Corporation. These individuals are involved in resolving problems that require deep understanding of Windows Internals rather than problems about planning and infrastructure development or how to use or configure a product that runs on Windows.

Here are some items that do not really belong in any either section:
Windows Internals 4 [PDF]
Mark Russinovich's Blog
AskPerf Blog

Another exceptionally useful tool for debugging non-crash related issues is WireShark. It is not covered by the exam but from a practical perspective should be a part of your toolkit.
Introduction to Wireshark (Part 1 of 3)
Cookies and Grabbing Passwords with Wireshark (Part 2 of 3)
Data Mining using Wireshark (Part 3 of 3)

If you prefer print material, I suggest the following:
C All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies [The purpose is not to turn you into a programmer but to give you a basic grasp of C Programming - skim the book]
The Art of Assembly Language - [The purpose, again, is not to turn you into a developer but to give you an idea of what Assembly is and the basics of the language - skim the book]
Windows® Internals: Including Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, Fifth Edition (Pro Developer) - [Required Reading]
Advanced Windows Debugging - [Highly Recommended]

Comments