Options

Thinking of starting with MCSE

arvin2212arvin2212 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I've recently bought a few materials and a server to help me with obtaining the title of MCITP. This of course, includes the knowledge as well. Now, as i sit and think and read more, i am in realization that perhaps i should master windows server 2003 before jumping to windows server 2008 since many organizations are still running windows server 2003 based on their needs and their applications.

The thing i noticed is, that there are a lot of papers to be taken, which is about 7 if i am not mistaken. It is not a problem for me, but I don't know where to start. I've also heard that some papers have been retired and thus this worries me.

My question would be, where do i begin (Which papers do i take first and so on). Also, your feedback, if you would approve or disapprove my decision would be greatly appreciate. (Although this being in a MCSE forum, that question is a no brainer)

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since you are just starting out on the certification front, you should start off with the 2008 exams. Thing is the 7 MCSE exams are going to take you 2-3 months each, the 293+294+297/298 could take longer. So you are potentially looking at about 20 months. Now compare with the MCITP:EA exams, you got to take 5 (4 server + 1 client) exams. You can take the 620 Vista exam to complete the client OS requirement (way easier than the 70-680 Win7 exam). The 4 server exams would likely take:

640 ~ 2 months
    642 ~ 2months
    643 ~ 2-3 months
    647 ~ 3-6 months (this one is the hardest, may take longer).

So you should have the MCITP: EA wrapped up in say 12-14 months. Also consider the fact that if you get the MCSE now, you'll need another two exams to upgrade to the MCITP: EA.

Another thing to consider is by the time you finish your MCSE (that's 2 years) a lot of businesses would've made the switch to Server 2008.

You should go for the MCITP: EA.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »

I concur.
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Essendon wrote: »
    Since you are just starting out on the certification front, you should start off with the 2008 exams. Thing is the 7 MCSE exams are going to take you 2-3 months each, the 293+294+297/298 could take longer. So you are potentially looking at about 20 months. Now compare with the MCITP:EA exams, you got to take 5 (4 server + 1 client) exams. You can take the 620 Vista exam to complete the client OS requirement (way easier than the 70-680 Win7 exam). The 4 server exams would likely take:

640 ~ 2 months
    642 ~ 2months
    643 ~ 2-3 months
    647 ~ 3-6 months (this one is the hardest, may take longer).

So you should have the MCITP: EA wrapped up in say 12-14 months. Also consider the fact that if you get the MCSE now, you'll need another two exams to upgrade to the MCITP: EA.

Another thing to consider is by the time you finish your MCSE (that's 2 years) a lot of businesses would've made the switch to Server 2008.

When it comes to Ess I listen :)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    arvin2212 wrote: »
    Hello,

I've recently bought a few materials and a server to help me with obtaining the title of MCITP. This of course, includes the knowledge as well. Now, as i sit and think and read more, i am in realization that perhaps i should master windows server 2003 before jumping to windows server 2008 since many organizations are still running windows server 2003 based on their needs and their applications.

The thing i noticed is, that there are a lot of papers to be taken, which is about 7 if i am not mistaken. It is not a problem for me, but I don't know where to start. I've also heard that some papers have been retired and thus this worries me.

My question would be, where do i begin (Which papers do i take first and so on). Also, your feedback, if you would approve or disapprove my decision would be greatly appreciate. (Although this being in a MCSE forum, that question is a no brainer)

You could do the MCSA. That would involve the 290 and 291 exams. You could use the 680 for your client. CompTIA A+/N+ or Security+ could be used as electives. I wouldn't bother with the 620 as a client exam. Yes, it's easier, but 680 would benefit you more in the long run.
    The MCSA could be upgraded to the MCITP: SA or you could just start in on the server 2008 courses, when done. Doing the 290 and 291 courses will give you some exposure to server 2003 and the day to day administration of it. You could always just read through the 293, 294 and 297/298 on your own. The 293 is similar to the 291 in content, but is more design focused. The 294 is heavy on GPO, AD, etc.
    Microsoft will probably retire these exams in the future, but their list goes out to June/2012 and none of them are on their yet.

One of the main deciding factors as Essendon mentioned is time. It would suck to have just the 297 or 298 to go and find out that is expires in a month. the other factor is how much knowledge and experience you have working with Server 2003.

Microsoft Certification Exam Development l New Certification Exams l Discontinued IT Exams