Juniper??

GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
Currently I am studying for CCNA. Sometimes I am checking the job opportunities and I see "Juniper" at the requirement section so often.

What do you think guys? CCNA and then Juniper Certificate? Necessary? makes you one step ahead ?

Comments

• luisYmeluisYme Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi-
    we used to run cisco and juniper at my job. now we're just cisco. juniper hardware and junOs is *very* different than cisco, so if you need to know how to operate juniper routers/switches then at least knowing the material for the first juniper certification is a requirement.

so if you get both you have a broader appeal to potential employers, which is probably good in this market. however, the more advanced positions and those who have those skills (ccnp, ccie, etc.) get paid a lot more.

i just finished ccent and will pursue ccna and ccnp.

hope this helps. icon_cool.gif
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    luisYme wrote: »
    hi-
    we used to run cisco and juniper at my job. now we're just cisco. juniper hardware and junOs is *very* different than cisco, so if you need to know how to operate juniper routers/switches then at least knowing the material for the first juniper certification is a requirement.

so if you get both you have a broader appeal to potential employers, which is probably good in this market. however, the more advanced positions and those who have those skills (ccnp, ccie, etc.) get paid a lot more.

i just finished ccent and will pursue ccna and ccnp.

hope this helps. icon_cool.gif

Thanks a lot icon_cheers.gif
  • Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    If you're already familiar with networking and cisco devices then Juniper is not that big a jump. I'm currently studying for the JNCIA and it's all quite simple - a bit like drivin g in a different country!!

It could do no harm to go for the juniper Certs and their website is very supportive oD self study and provides some great FREE resources. Some of which would be very useful to even a CCENT candidate - the 5 hour Network fundamentals CBT is brilliant material for a beginner. To be honest, there were one or two things it taught me, and I've been doing this for a while!

The other bonus us that Juniper are very keen to get people certified - pass a pre-assessment exam on the fast track page of their website and they'll give you a 50% off voucher for the exam.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
    Chris_ wrote: »
    The other bonus us that Juniper are very keen to get people certified - pass a pre-assessment exam on the fast track page of their website and they'll give you a 50% off voucher for the exam.

Coolicon_cool.gif
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    my advice would be to concentrate on cisco as you primary target and then study the juniper stuff side by side. So for example, go for the CCNA and then do JNCIA-Junos. Then CCNP and go for the JNCIS/JNCIP-ENT. Thats just my opinion but find its a good way. The fast track material is great and free too but it requires you to already have much of the theory knowledge which the cisco stuff gives you. The fast track is merely a way to transition to juniper when you've already got the ground work.

Good luck.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    There are some things which are pretty awesome in JUNOS, and there are some things (in my opinion) that are just crap. I started out using IOS way before I touched ScreenOS and JUNOS so I kinda like the way IOS 'feels' when your configuring/troubleshooting/etc. JUNOS does have some cool things though, like batched updates (make a bunch of changes, then apply them all at once) and looking at only a piece of config relevant to which subconfiguration mode you are in (without having to go 'do sh run | section <x>). Anyway, worry about the JNCIA/JNCIP etc once you've got the CCNA at probably done most of the CCNP. Being skilled in both Juniper and Cisco makes you very marketable :)
    thanks for your advices. As soon as I get the CCNA, i will for sure go with Juniper and CCNP.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    You will find that alot of Service Providers run Juniper devices. Juniper is very popular, actually I had no idea how much of a worldwide presence Juniper had until I started the Juniper Networks Facebook group about 3 years ago. Now that group has thousands of people from all across the world!

My suggestion is to get both Cisco and Juniper, Multivendor certs FTW! The more you know, the better off you are.

Also, JNCIE's can make just as much as CCIE's. I wouldn't say that holding a Cisco Cert is more valuable than a Juniper Cert. They are just more commonly held. Its all in the eyes of the potential employer :)
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Would you guys recommend them to someone who doesn't work with JunOS kit at all? (just looking for resume candy)
    You will find that alot of Service Providers run Juniper devices. Juniper is very popular, actually I had no idea how much of a worldwide presence Juniper had until I started the Juniper Networks Facebook group about 3 years ago. Now that group has thousands of people from all across the world!

My suggestion is to get both Cisco and Juniper, Multivendor certs FTW! The more you know, the better off you are.

Also, JNCIE's can make just as much as CCIE's. I wouldn't say that holding a Cisco Cert is more valuable than a Juniper Cert. They are just more commonly held. Its all in the eyes of the potential employer :)

your certification background made me crazy. great collection icon_thumright.gif
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    IMO Juniper certifications are highly valuable.

Take my case for example. I started working at JTAC about 4 years ago. It was my first IT job. During that time I picked up my first JNCIE and a month later I was working as a Resident Engineer for Juniper doing consulting for a major telecom in Canada. Then, after a few years of doing that I landed my current job as a content developer.

Sure it was tons of hard work, but the pay off was definitely worth it.

My advice, along with others, would be to pick up some cisco certs along with some Juniper certs. There are very few networks out there that are strictly one vendor.

And as far as the Junos CLI goes; I love it. I've worked with a lot of cisco gear and even picked up the CCNA for the fun of it. I find Junos soooo much easier to work with then IOS. Sure, if somebody has worked with nothing but IOS for years attempts to pick up Junos, there will be a learning curve. But I don't know one person personally who didn't give it a serious go and then preferred IOS over Junos.

Oh and btw, JNCIEs are paid in the same range as CCIEs. I even know a few JNCIEs who get paid considerably more than your average CCIE. :)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    GOZCU wrote: »
    your certification background made me crazy. great collection icon_thumright.gif

Thanks, and before you ask yes, I have no life :)
    Thanks a lot. i learn't a lot from this topic. as soon as i get the CCNA, I will go for JNCIA-Junos. I feel more excited about being a network engineer now than ever :)
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Funny enough, I just recently started a job that has Juniper firewalls (ScreenOS, no JunOS) and I was like "ummm....." at the CLI.

The GUI is simple, and of course the theory and concepts are the same in the cisco world, but I was looking to get the entry level Screen OS or at least get a small lab at home to play with.

SSG5 Secure Services Gateway - Small Office Firewall Appliance - Juniper Networks

Looked at Juniper's site and I found their cheapest firwall the SSG5. Anyone know any good recomenndations for a low-level firewall to play with? (ex: ASA5505 equilivant in the cisco world).
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE