I do not like memorizing cable standards!

Tfoote01Tfoote01 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I do not like them sam I am. So far I have about 11 different flash cards and I am making progress and memorizing them but sheesh. I am not really able to relate them to anything and therefor they are mere numbers associated to cable names. Yuck. Im doing fine with ports. They are almost commited to memory but cable lengths are a killer.

Comments

• bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    I wouldn't spend a ton of time/effort on memorizing these; try to get the overall picture and I'm sure you'll do fine. It is good to know general guidelines of cable lengths in real life, but studying the specific ranges of various fiber technologies can get rather tedious.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    Tfoote01 wrote: »
    I do not like them same I am. So far I have about 11 different flash cards and I am making progress and memorizing them but sheesh. I am not really able to relate them to anything and therefor they are mere numbers associated to cable names. Yuck. Im doing fine with ports. They are almost commited to memory but cable lengths are a killer.

They will be on the test so be prepared. Know your common ports by heart, as well as all of your protocols and what they do.

It'll start sticking after a while :D
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    It is true in real life you have to know your cable lengths,i advice to get familiar with it too for the test because question(s) may be ask about it,Just try to commit them to memory,its are not that hard.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know if it was just my test but I got swarmed by routing protocols, I didn't have much in the way of wiring standards. But it could have just been my test.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For the most part, you need to know Ethernet with Cat5/6 twisted pair... for the real world. Have an understanding of fiber, but unless you are going to work with it daily, you can just look up the info as necessary.

For the exam, go over a **** sheet before walking in.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    powerfool wrote: »
    For the most part, you need to know Ethernet with Cat5/6 twisted pair... for the real world. Have an understanding of fiber, but unless you are going to work with it daily, you can just look up the info as necessary.

For the exam, go over a **** sheet before walking in.

This is solid advice. I had the Sybex Network+ kit and it came with a smaller book with just cram info listed. Protocols and definitions, ports, cables, etc. I got to the test center 40ish minutes before and sat in my car reading over everything so it was fresh in my mind.
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    Powerfool has given good advice here. It is one of those things you will just have to know for the exam in case it gets asked.

Don't forget to write as much of it down as you can once you go in to the exam, and you can refer to it later on throughout duration.

Kenneth
  • GrahamUK33GrahamUK33 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you able to upload a **** sheet so members can print and read before they go in to the test.
  • nazario13nazario13 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well I just took the test today.

Questions

Cat 5 (speed) 100
    Cat 5e (speed) 1g
    Cat 6 (speed) 10g

Which of the following cable types transmits data at 1Gbps?
    A. 100Base-Fx
    B. 1000Base-T
    C. 100Base-TX
    D. 10Base-T