Am I ready?

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am getting around 90% on the 701 practice exam dvd from Mike Meyers All in one book. Using the proprof free online exams, the questions are slightly more difficult then they are on the dvd, although I heard they are overkill.

Should I go ahead and book the exam? Or can anyone recommend another learning source that will help me pass?

Kye.

Comments

• DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How many times did you take the practice exam?

My personal rules on practice exams are:

1. I don't take the practice exam unless I think I could pass the actual exam

2. I only take a practice exam once

3. I won't take the actual exam unless I can score around 90% on the practice exam

This is just what I do but it has worked out for me pretty well. I can also say that practice exams are hit and miss when compared to the real thing.

CompTIA also has practice questions:
    Sample Questions

You just have fill out some info and I treat the sample questions as small practice exam.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got 60% on the comptia a+ site. I am almost falling asleep so It was not the best time to try it.

Thanks though, obviously I need to expand my understanding on a few subjects :D

Kye.
  • PPforLifePPforLife Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I want to take my A+ exam also, but not sure "when i should". I've been taking practice exams but not sure if the practice test is a good indication of my "real score". SOO SOOO LOST...lol
    If you really feel ready, regardless of the practice exams take the Essentials. If you fail no big deal (besides the cost), and if you pass take the Practical Application exam.

Money issues are one thing but don't be afraid to take the exam. If you put in decent study time and can explain the different parts of the official objectives than just take it.

Exam Objectives
  • hbbnthbbnt Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    take it when you feel ready and confident to take it. it will probably be the point when you feel you have studied everything and there is no more reviewing that will help you
  • LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hbbnt wrote: »
    take it when you feel ready and confident to take it. it will probably be the point when you feel you have studied everything and there is no more reviewing that will help you

For me when I start to get bored of reviewing and taking practice exams that means it's time to take the test.
  • poszeoneposzeone Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    as far as i go, i took the test in mid june and failed (653), went back and studyed the all in one book,learned some things i missed the 1st time around.at this point i feel as i don't know if am ready or not as if i just don't know if i study too much - over study or under study. i guess i'll just book the test for aug and found out. i just have the feeling like "well,ok " and thinking i hope i pass type of feeling . i guess i confidence level got hit after failing the 1st time.
    poszeone wrote: »
    as far as i go, i took the test in mid june and failed (653), went back and studyed the all in one book,learned some things i missed the 1st time around.at this point i feel as i don't know if am ready or not as if i just don't know if i study too much - over study or under study. i guess i'll just book the test for aug and found out. i just have the feeling like "well,ok " and thinking i hope i pass type of feeling . i guess i confidence level got hit after failing the 1st time.

I know the feeling, all too well with Cisco ICND1 & 2. Passing scores are 675 for CompTIA A+ Essentials and 700 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application. You were very close and you took it in mid-June. If you have put in a solid study effort since then you should be ready.

Any exam I have ever took whether I passed or failed I never knew what the outcome would be until the screen came up telling me the results. I have failed exams I felt confident about and passed exams I was apprehensive on taking.
  • poszeoneposzeone Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just really wondering about something ...most people from what i have seen on here take 2-3 mo. of study then pass. i have been doing it longer.
    i feel like i may be taking to long or does it really matter ? i am getting to know alot that i know for sure (then again there's alot to know) . i had no idea it would be like this. software side of thing's(ie windows and programs) are much easyer for me, this i do know.(or at i feel this way)
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    poszeone wrote: »
    just really wondering about something ...most people from what i have seen on here take 2-3 mo. of study then pass. i have been doing it longer.
    i feel like i may be taking to long or does it really matter ? i am getting to know alot that i know for sure (then again there's alot to know) . i had no idea it would be like this. software side of thing's(ie windows and programs) are much easyer for me, this i do know.(or at i feel this way)

2-3 months is probably the average, but there is a lot of variance. As an example, it took me about a month of solid study, but my brother has been "studying" for around a year now (his study methods are questionable, but that's another story lol). It depends on your study habits, how quickly you learn, your drive, whether or not you work (takes away from study time), etc. I don't think you should feel you are taking too long necessarily, but there is nothing wrong with trying to speed up your attack. The A+ tests on a great deal of minutia (as I'm sure you know), so half the battle is learning what is important for the test vs. real life.

If you're having trouble studying, you should look in to making a study schedule. Take a night off and plan out what you're going to study tomorrow, and then the next day, and so on. Don't put too much on one night. Once you have the plan, then execute. If tonight is motherboards, take read you text/take notes on motherboards (perhaps even do some research online). Then, if tomorrow is RAM, read/take notes on RAM, and then study your notes from yesterday on motherboards. Repetition really helps me out when studying for tests that are mostly rote memorization.
    2-3 months is probably the average, but there is a lot of variance. As an example, it took me about a month of solid study, but my brother has been "studying" for around a year now (his study methods are questionable, but that's another story lol). It depends on your study habits, how quickly you learn, your drive, whether or not you work (takes away from study time), etc. I don't think you should feel you are taking too long necessarily, but there is nothing wrong with trying to speed up your attack. The A+ tests on a great deal of minutia (as I'm sure you know), so half the battle is learning what is important for the test vs. real life.

If you're having trouble studying, you should look in to making a study schedule. Take a night off and plan out what you're going to study tomorrow, and then the next day, and so on. Don't put too much on one night. Once you have the plan, then execute. If tonight is motherboards, take read you text/take notes on motherboards (perhaps even do some research online). Then, if tomorrow is RAM, read/take notes on RAM, and then study your notes from yesterday on motherboards. Repetition really helps me out when studying for tests that are mostly rote memorization.

This is great advice. Study by means of setting goals is a great way to learn and keep on schedule.

Also the exams have a lot of material that is nit-picky fact and term stuff. In my case the best / fastest way to learn terms and numbers is flash cards. Flash card have turned into my biggest asset when it comes to studying for an exam.
  • SamLea27SamLea27 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMO you aren't ever going to "overstudy" just be sure to have a thorough knowledge and understanding to avoid overthinking and scrambling come test time. Practice exams, even free ones, can be useful (as long as they arent braindumps or answers of course) and it doesn't matter if you just pass the practice test, it depends on how well you actually know about each of the concepts. Also, for whoever was asking, here is another free testing resource kind of like proprofs, but more interactive and gives you a better understanding of where you went wrong and what you don't know.
  • floyd84sfloyd84s Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I want to take my A+ exam alsozhu.jpg
    gongsi.jpg
    ht.jpg